E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Eurocharged Custom Tune -- Naturally Aspirated E90

12-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Smoove B
Urban Gorilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: oh six 330i 6MT

Eurocharged Custom Tune -- Naturally Aspirated E90

If you’re thinking about getting an engine tune after a bit of mod work, read this. On a humbug, I got my tune at a "Dyno Day" by Eurocharged Performance in Houston, TX.

For starters, I have a 2006 330i, six speed tranny, with a Magnaflow #16539 cat back exhaust (~$670 including shipping from ebay), the euro N52 air box from ECS (~$420), and the Sprint Booster. Everything else in the power train is stock. I weighed the pros and cons of a custom vs. generic tune and preferred a tune customized for my engine rather than an off-the-shelf tune that’s generalized for any engine of its type. So, maybe I’m fortunate to live in Houston where there are a number of choices.

In mid-December (2011) I went to “Dyno Day” at M-Power sports in Houston, just planning to see what a few local vendors had to offer. But, when my man Hooy told me that Eurocharged had recently tuned his 328i showing an increase over his previous generic tune, I decided to take the plunge.

So here's how the tune went. Jerry (master mind of Eurocharged) dynoed my car before and after the tune. The results of the tune were a 13 hp improvement and about 10 ft-lb increase in torque. The attached dyno chart shows the before and after runs of 210.9 hp before the tune and 223.9 hp after. These numbers represent the best run of three in each case, both before the tune and after -- not the lowest of three runs before tuning to the highest run of three after tuning, which would inflate the numbers. I actually stood at the dyno machine and watched each curve being formed as Jerry ran my car on the dynomometer.

I admit that when I first saw the final chart I thought the gains were rather modest, but acceptable for a normally aspirated car (no turbo or super charger force-feeding my little graphite philly). However, when I drove the car after the tune, I was absolutely awed by the hasty/(umm, nasty) acceleration. I immediately noticed my car's no nonsense attitude. At the nearest three lane passage, I let my newly tuned engine devour a stretch of road. First, I slowed the car down to creep speed, and with a down shift, I launched it. 1st gear was but a quick grunt followed by a throaty howl in 2nd gear. Seuuuwy! Looka here, the grey goose just straight up hauled @ss until I was reading the bumper sticker of the car I thought just a moment ago had a two block lead on me.

13 HP increase might not sound like a much. But, I'd guess it's the torque on the low end that really makes the difference. The torque gain was about 10 ft-lbs over a fairly wide range. Jerry had told me that the increase in power and torque would be a nice kick when coupled with the manual tranny – and let me tell ya, he was right! Now back to the driving experience. I turned a U-ey to go back to the shop, this time allowing more clear space between me and the traffic ahead. I then made a full throttle charge and actually chirped the tires (for the first time) when shifting into second gear and again into third gear… and this was with the DTC function engaged to limit wheel spin.

Mine eyes have witnessed (the glory of the coming of) the speedometer as it surged to the underside of 60 mph in 2nd gear. Thanks to Eurocharged, I now comprehend, first-hand, the meaning of a sub 6.0 second, 0 to 60 mph acceleration (yeah me, with my wife-chauffeuring, Home Depot material hauling, Christmas tree toting, mid-life crisis having) daily driver. The trick, I discovered, is that I need shift only once to get to highway speed. Yep, I could have turned 60 mph in 2nd gear, easily.

It goes without saying, the car’s performance turned out to be better than I thought 13 added ponies could offer. I believe the usable power for my style is in the 2600 to 5400rpm range. There’s good low end torque for launching from first and second gears and the power just keeps coming in the motor’s higher rpm range.

Now, if I could just find some uncluttered pavement ‘round Houston I’d break free and kick a little @ssphault.

Well, that's the rap. If you want your car to bring back the grin you had when you first bought it, call the tunemaster Jerry at Eurocharged. He can hook you up. If you don't believe me, axe Hooy.

Oh, and there are a few authorized dealers in a few cities across the US, and some on other continents, too. Look ‘em up. They’re on the ‘net.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Eurocharged tune_E90 330i.pdf (195.5 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by Smoove B; 12-24-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Ken, awesome write up. Welcome to the EC family . Ramirez330i is getting his twin car tuned in January!
      12-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
ramirez330i
MATTE
Rep
Drives: '13 VW Golf R

Can't wait!!
      12-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
eurocharged
We're still here
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tuned Euros Only

Glad you are enjoying the tune Ken, just wait another few weeks when the car has fully adapted to it and your new found driving style, you'll feel one more small but noticeable bump in acceleration.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
moczak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi coupe

hey if i were interested in a tune n i live in to, who could i contact?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moczak View Post
hey if i were interested in a tune n i live in to, who could i contact?
PM Eurocharged's account directly above your post. Seth will set you up.