E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How poorly do you treat you car

10-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
KWVT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

How poorly do you treat you car

I have noticed the past few weeks around campus that people really don't know how to take care of their cars, or simply do not care about them. Today I was walking to class and saw a E92 335i with damage to the front bumper as if they pulled into or out of a spot and hit another car and it also had a basket ball sized dent in the door. So what I have noticed around campus is that their are a ton of high end cars (Range Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche ect.) that you can tell are completely neglected and abused.. I just don't get how people can let this happen or be okay with this.. Anyone else have similar experiences or stories?

I treat my car like its a child, I know every scratch and imperfection on the car and try and keep those to a minimum.. Just don't get how some people can treat such an expensive possession like crap...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

I can relate to the bumper story. In May I hit a rabbit that cracked my lower right bumper cover and it is still there.

I love my car and take care of it, I have just been taking my time looking for a replacement. Worth it too, because I found a used replacement same color really cheap - I don't love it that much to spend an extra $600 to get it fixed right away (that's how much I'm saving). That's my project for tomorrow
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
chuddism
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Not everyone loves cars... And some who do are still objective enough to realize its just a car ^^ (guy above me).

I love my BMW and consider myself a car enthusiast, but at the same time it has a place in life and its not top of the list. I doubt you'll find anyone on here neglecting cars in the areas of maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

- I drive through the carwash instead of the handwash option...

- Sometimes i leave a empty bottle in te car...

- I sometimes eat something in my car...

- Sometimes i get in my car with my football (US: soccer) shoes...

I'm so sorry for my car
      10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

you say campus so i take it these are mainly 'students' with these vehicles. I drove an old vw diesel rabbit to school when i was in college...i think when you have rich parents that give you a range rover or other expensive car to go to school you generally don't have the appreciation one has (like yourself) for taking care of things and trying to make them last along time.
      10-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
OP I am just like you. My car is always clean and I loose sleep over any little imperfection. I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse." Obviously these students with their high end cars only have them because of the status they provide, not because they are good cars. Thus, they couldnt give a rats ass about the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
KWVT
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe its just the car enthusiast in me that finds it hard to wrap my mind around this concept
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Poor rich kids.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Because the general population dont "care" about cars. Sorry for the shocking news, but car enthusiasts are the minority.

Same goes for almost every "hobby" out there. Some people are super ocd and particular about their shoes/sneakers/heels/etc. and will clean that shit after everytime they wear it. Some people could care less if their shoes get scuffed or wet or whatever.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
KWVT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
Because the general population dont "care" about cars. Sorry for the shocking news, but car enthusiasts are the minority.

Same goes for almost every "hobby" out there. Some people are super ocd and particular about their shoes/sneakers/heels/etc. and will clean that shit after everytime they wear it. Some people could care less if their shoes get scuffed or wet or whatever.
I get this, what I don't get is today for example, I parked 2 cars down from an X5 5.0 I think these have only been out for a year or two.. this car was disgustingly filthy and had more dents/scratches/damage then the 1995 corolla that was parked behind it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMEddy View Post
Just don't get how some people can treat such an expensive possession like crap...
Well, then you just don't get it.

When people buy cars, especially new ones, they know that eventually they will get their first scratch, first dent, first paint chip, first windshield crack etc. So, they decide in advance which strategy they will follow with regard to such unavoidable incidents. There are two extreme strategies in this case: 1) don't sweat it, it is just a car, 2) clench your teeth and fix every single scratch no matter the cost.

Many people stick to the first strategy. Well, it is their car to do whatever they want with it. Some people pledge to stick to the second strategy, and do at first, but then eventually drift to the first. Very few people manage to remain faithful to the second strategy forever. And those who do usually prefer to accumulate the damage before trying to fix it. This make sense. If your car is often exposed in a damage-prone area (like a dense parking lot full of inexperienced and/or stupid drivers) it makes more sense to wait till you get, say, 5 door dents of 2 bumper scratches before going to the body shop.

What strategy those people of yours are following (if any) - I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier

I'm so sorry for my car
Check on all the above except for soccer shoes.
Hiking boots are close enough though I guess
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Check on all the above except for soccer shoes.
Hiking boots are close enough though I guess
Only if they have enough mud on them
      10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
OP I am just like you. My car is always clean and I loose sleep over any little imperfection. I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse." Obviously these students with their high end cars only have them because of the status they provide, not because they are good cars. Thus, they couldnt give a rats ass about the car itself.
Cobb Tuned 335i... really

its not abuse if you're not flooring it every time you accelerate but sometimes it's nice to feel the power and pulls and the money you spent to have such a car, no need to preserve such a minuscule and even un-proven thing, people on here run Meth + FBO and drive aggressive and spiritedly and have never came out and said they ruined their car, live a little !

but +1 about the status... Almost all of the people I know who own BMWs, can't talk to them about anything, to them it's just a nice brand car BMW, but that's okay because there are things they may appreciate that I could give a crap about
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
jhilly8982
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMEddy View Post
I have noticed the past few weeks around campus that people really don't know how to take care of their cars, or simply do not care about them. Today I was walking to class and saw a E92 335i with damage to the front bumper as if they pulled into or out of a spot and hit another car and it also had a basket ball sized dent in the door. So what I have noticed around campus is that their are a ton of high end cars (Range Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche ect.) that you can tell are completely neglected and abused.. I just don't get how people can let this happen or be okay with this.. Anyone else have similar experiences or stories?

I treat my car like its a child, I know every scratch and imperfection on the car and try and keep those to a minimum.. Just don't get how some people can treat such an expensive possession like crap...
Do you go to UVM? Graduated in '06. Lots of BMW, range, mercedes and no students took care of their cars, especially since their parents bought them. Heck, I noticed in Vermont no one had car pride. Lots of unwashed, muddy vehicles. Nature of the area I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
KWVT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilly8982 View Post
Do you go to UVM? Graduated in '06. Lots of BMW, range, mercedes and no students took care of their cars, especially since their parents bought them. Heck, I noticed in Vermont no one had car pride. Lots of unwashed, muddy vehicles. Nature of the area I guess.
Yes I am referring to UVM campus
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
QC335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: C-17

Nothing wrong with wanting a spotless car. But it's just a car...
      10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

to some people, these cars are like a civic to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Those are probably the same people that park their car so close to yours, with so many open spots that are not next to your car. Then what do you know, BANG, you now have a door ding. Why? Because they just don't care.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse."
I am going to disagree with this logic. Having owned a few turbo cars I have found that they like to be driven. Most have given me more problems when I don't drive them hard. I think they like to get the cobwebs out (my own logic on the end there).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Gator335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E38 E39 E60 E70 E92

Quote:
I hardly ever go WOT on my car because I feel like that can also be considered "abuse."
No offense, but if you were to say that to a BMW engineer he'd hurl down curses on you in German and probably punch your lights out!

Remember the name: Bayerische Motoren Worke! It's a BMW, not a Kia! BMW is first and foremost an engine company! BMW's are designed, engineered and built for the nurburgring, the autobahn and every other high speed environment known to mankind.

By not giving it WOT every so often, you're actually doing more harm to it than by trying to preserve it. So, please, pretty please, with sugar on top, drive the f***ing car!

As for the OP's original point, college kids have no business owning expensive luxury cars simply because when you have no skin in the game you don't care about your losses! If junior was making the $1,000/month payments on his fancy ride, I guaran-damn-tee you he'd be watching how he parked it.

As for me, I keep my '07 335i and '12 X5 5.0 covered in a climate controlled garage and know every centimeter of both cars. Whenever I drive them, I inspect them from nose to tail to note the condition and deal with any flaws immediately.

My '93 525i and '97 750il, on the other hand, are my commuter vehicles and I let things slide a bit more with them. I still do a walk around after every trip home, but since they live outside on the driveway I don't try to keep them up to showroom condition. That said, I still treat them better than 90% of the people on the planet treat their cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post

I'm so sorry for my car
Minus the bottles.
Appreciate 0