E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Shift shaft oil seal went bad

11-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
HermanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i --> F80 M3

Shift shaft oil seal went bad

I was trying to install performance SSK last week and noticed small amount oil stain on the gearbox housing, and it looked like the oil seal(#9 in the diagram) of the shift shaft went bad.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=23&fg=15
So I am thinking replacing the seal myself on a ramp, but it seems pretty hard to get to due to the limited space. Some also suggested it is a good idea to replace the shift bearing as well since it wear overtime and contribute sloppiness of the shifter. So my question is there anyone had the same issue and replace the seal without dropping the transmission? thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yes, it can be done, but is a real bear on your back. You will have to drop the exhaust out of the way, drop the heat shield between the exhaust and driveshaft, remove the driveshaft from the back of the trans (leave it connected to the diff and lash it up out of the way off to the side), and then disconnect the shifter. Prying out the old seal is difficult, and getting the new shifter joint back on the shift rod is difficult as well. If you're an experienced DIY mechanic, then it's straightforward. You will need new bolts for the driveshaft - one time use angle-torque-to-yield. You only have to remove 3 of the 6, I usually pull the guibo off the back of the trans output flange instead of pulling the driveshaft flange off the guibo. It gives you more clearance to work up there. You can also drop the back of the transmission down if you need more clearance. The engine and transmission balance on the engine mounts, so it may not come down when you pull the trans mount bracket off the chassis. Gently push up on the front of the engine with a floor jack to get the back of the trans to drop down.
      11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
HermanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i --> F80 M3

damn, that sounds pretty intense, I might have to find a shop to do it for me. paying couple hundred to get a $10 part replaced is always fun
Appreciate 0