E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Custom Headlights RGBW AE install

03-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
DIY: Custom Headlights RGBW AE install

DIY: Custom Headlights RGBW AE install

Apologies in advance for the eclectic collection of pics, I have done a few of these during my build and have used pics from a variety of them to make this DIY

This DIY covers from removal to sealing up the finished headlights, I don't cover reinstalling or wiring up in great detail as it will vary on the brand and harness you ultimately buy

This mod was done on a 2008 pre LCI E92 which has headlights that are not perma-sealed. This means they can be opened by softening the sealant in an oven. Later model BMWs have lights that are perma-sealed which requires the lens and housing to be cut with a dremel, which is a whole lot harder and not covered in this DIY

I also cover disassembling the parts inside the headlight, stripping and painting the shrouds. If you are just installing new rings, then you can skip past most of this

Anyway, I hope it helps someone out who is having a go at this mod
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 03-13-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 2
Nickco431457.50
      03-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Removing headlights

This section covers removing the front bumper to get access to the headlights and their removal.
You will have to jack up the car, remove the wheels, peel back the front wheel liners to get access to the screws securing the front bumper.
Once these are out you will need to remove the screws securing the under tray to the front bumper.
Then remove the screws along the top of the front bumper to get access to the parking sensors that simply unplug.
If you have headlight washers, you need to remove the cover and pull out the washer arm by pinching it and pulling back hard to extend it, then unclip the spring and let the arm retract
Once the bumper is free put it to one side and remove the screws securing the headlight and unplugging the power cable on the back of the headlight.
Once free the headlight can be a bit tricky to get out, but with a bit of maneuvering it can be pulled free, being careful not to damage the tip of the front fender where it meets to bonnet
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Preparing and opening the headlights

Next step to separate the headlight lens from the housing.
This is done by softening the sealant in an oven (100C or 212F for 10 mins) and pulling the two apart
Before the headlight can be put in the oven, there are a number of bits that need to be removed to stop them from melting or being damaged
These include the ballast, rubber breather pipes, indicator bulb and top hatch
There is also a screw that needs to be removed behind the indicator to prevent damaging the indicator shroud when the lens is removed
Finally before baking, cover any wiring with foil to protect it from the heat

Bake for exactly 10 mins at 100C or 212F, making sure the lens or housing does not come in contact with the oven walls or door
Place on the floor of the oven, not on a oven shelves or rack

Once the 10 mins is up, remove the headlight and work quickly before the sealant cools
Unclip the tabs on the top (2) and bottom (2) of the lens, and using a screw driver, pry the lens and housing apart, starting at the side of the headlight where the indicator is (wide side). Pull the lens and housing apart slowly until they are free. Put the lens face down on a soft cloth to prevent scratching the surface

Before the sealant cools, remove as much as you can from the channel around the housing and lens using a flat head screwdriver
It is a pinta to do but makes the life much easier when you are fitting up your rings

Use degreaser and a rag to dissolve any residual sealant or to clean up sealant that has got on the lens or internal headlight parts
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 03-13-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Removing the internal parts of the headlights

The next step is best followed in the pictures below

If you have stock headlights with the glass AE rings, first remove the AE bulb by reaching into the hatch and twisting the bulb and pull it back to remove it
Unplug it and leave the plug in the top of the housing.

Snap off the glass rings and discard (wont be needing these again)
Some people use the base of the rings as an attachment point for their new LED rings, but I find it easier to use 3M double sided automotive tape

Next is to remove the shroud around the main headlight, unscrew the two screws and pull the shroud to release it from the clip.

Next is to remove and disassemble the turning lamp. Start by removing the screw holding the lamp in placed and then disconnecting the spade connector of the lamp (located in the access hatch on top of the housing).
Next remove the four screws from around the turning map shroud and pull the assembly out
Once free unclip the turning lamp bulb and remove it and disassemble the turning lamp parts as illustrated in the pictures below

Next we will remove the indicator and fascia from the lens
Remove the three screws holding the fascia in place and lift the indicator out
Pull the cover off the indicator housing taking (it just unclips) taking care not to break the small pin and clip at the pointy end of the indicator

Keep all the screws and parts in separate containers or bags to keep them from being mixed up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Preparing and painting parts

Before the parts can be painted it is a good idea to strip the chrome off first
I use a spray on oven cleaner (in a well ventilated area )
Spray the parts to coat with the oven cleaner and leave for 5 mins before rinsing off with water. Most of the chrome will come off but you may need to apply a second lot of oven cleaner on the stubborn parts. Clearly wearing rubber gloves and safety glasses is highly recommended

Once all the parts are clean and dry, you can paint them in whatever color you like. I recommend using Dulux dura-max paint as it can be sprayed on directly without the need for primer and dries in 10 mins

A minimum of two coats is recommended
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Installing eyebrow

Some LED rings require the installation of an eyebrow to hide the wiring at the top of the LED ring
They come in various styles including carbon fiber and illuminated
The illuminated ones, need to be spliced into the headlight wiring
I don't cover wiring these up in this DIY sorry

In both cases the mounting of the eyebrow inside the lens is the same

Position the eyebrow and tack with some tape to hold it in position
Apply adhesive backed insulation across the top of the inside of the lens to hold the eyebrow in place and the stop light from the LED rings leaking out the top of the lens (and visible under the bonnet line of the car... looks terrible if you dont do this)

I use adhesive backed heat shielding matting which is perfect for the job

Keep about 5mm or half an inch from the edge of the lens, so it wont interfer when you reseal the headlights
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #11
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Reassembly and mounting LED rings

Now everything is ready to go back together and fit your LED rings
Reassembling the internal parts of the headlight is just the reverse of removing them. Take care when putting back the screws etc as it is easy to scratch painted shrouds etc requiring a respray

Remember to install the turning light lamp and bracket before you screw down the turning light (I did this a couple of times myself doh)

Once everything is reinstalled, a couple of bits of double sided tape on the back of your LED rings to position the rings where you want them. If using flat bottom rings make sure they are level. If possible it is best to test this on the car but its a lot of work. I just make sure they line up with the bottom of the headlight housing

Test their position by putting the lens on the headlight. Typically the LED rings hits the fascia or the lens wont close because the LED ring is in the way

This is where fine adjustments of the LED ring position and trimming of the fascia is often needed (and why it makes life easier if you removed the sealant from the housing and lens earlier)

How much fiddling will depend on the style and thickness of the LED rings you purchased. In my case I actually had to cut into the shroud to countersink the LED ring to provide enough clearance to fit. You want to aim to get everything aligned, so that when you put the lens on for the final time, nothing touches and presses on the LED rings

Next apply double sided automotive tape to the rear of the LED rings, so that all the surface is covered. Press the rings into position so the tape holds them in place. Plastic weld is optional but will provide a more secure fitting. Personally I find the double sided tape works fine

Remember to run the cable for the LED rings through the access hatch in the headlight housing

Once your have everything adjusted and the lens seats completely in the housing channel you are ready to hook them up and test everything is working properly

Hook up the wiring harness and attach the positive and negative wires to a battery charger. Be careful not to get them mixed up or you could damage the LED controller etc

If installing RGB (colour changing) LED rings you need to install an app (magic light, Haio Deng etc) and connect to the app to turn on your rings
All going well your rings should light up and you are ready to seal your headlights up

One last thing before you do, make sure you clean the inside of the lens and wipe any dust off the internal parts. There is nothing worse then having a big smear on the inside of the headlights once they are sealed up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Sealing

The final step is to seal your new headlights
First we need to put down a thread of sealant in the headlight housing
I use butyl windscreen sealant which is comes in the form of a rope
Cut off a length about 30 cm or 1 foot long and stretch it so it is about the thickness of a pen
Lay the sealant into the channel on the headlight housing pressing it into place
Work your way around the housing to using more sealant as needed
Make sure there are no gaps as this may allow water to get into the headlight and damage the ballast etc
Dont go overboard and overfill the channel either, as too much sealant will make it difficult to close and seal the headlight later

When the sealant is installed, press the lens and the housing together and bake in the over at 100C / 212 F for 10 mins. Remove from the over the press the lens and the housing together until the locking tabs click into place
You can use a pair of pliers to pinch the lens the the housing together, but take care not to use too much force and break something
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Install and enjoy your new lights
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6011.50
jard35.50
      03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Great guide. I wonder if I can buy the clear reflectors and put them in while doing this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #15
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Great guide. I wonder if I can buy the clear reflectors and put them in while doing this.
yes.... yes you can
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #16
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Great guide!! The documentation and photos are really great. Must have taken you a while to prepare all of this. I think you had some unnecessary steps though. You don't need to remove the air duct nor do you need to remove the wheels. Turning your wheels all the way to one side, and accessing the bumper screws that way will work. I have ET +20 wheels, so even with wide wheels this works.

Last edited by uber; 04-29-2020 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #17
jard
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

This is a massive guide socket and it's very detailed which is much appreciated. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #18
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jard View Post
This is a massive guide socket and it's very detailed which is much appreciated. Well done!
Appreciate 0