E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Removing Sharpie From Soft Touch?

04-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
isosunrise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Removing Sharpie From Soft Touch?

Sharpie Marker on my (not even sure what button) next to the heated seats bottoms. Also some right below that on the surface. Possible to remove with nail polish remover? I am assuming soft touch would just fall off!

This looks gross - found a replacement cluster of buttons on ebay but cant find a DIY on how to remove the originals to replace. Any direction or advice would help

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Is that the silver sharpie? I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Anyway, little known fact: Isopropyl alcohol is the solvent used in sharpies. Especially on non-porous materials, it'll go through that stuff like butter. On matte plastic finishes it's a bit more problematic, but if you give the part a good soak, it should get in there. Doesn't mess up electronics either, and evaporates quickly.

I actually traced out cuts on my rear seat with sharpie, then just washed it off with IPA after I was done making them. Much easier than chalk or some kind of heavy pencil line.

Sidenote, drawing over sharpie with dry erase marker will also take it off. But again, porous materials won't do so hot. Really only useful on glass, or, you know, dry erase boards.
      04-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 330d

ouch! it does look gross!
No idea how to help... unless you want to go by the dealership and see what is their quote...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

That is you Hill Descent Control button, IPA (nail polish remover) will do the trick. Use a cloth to dab it onto it and rub... Then wipe with a separate moist water cloth, then dry it with a dry cloth. Repeat until u get to a point u r happy with.

If u r under factory warranty still, i think the dealership can just replace the button.

If ur in central NJ, then swing over to me and i'll help u remove it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
IPA (nail polish remover) will do the trick.
Where do you get your nail polish remover? It's usually either acetone or (more commonly now) ethyl acetate. Does rubbing alcohol actually remove sharpie? Does it remove nail polish, for that matter?

Edit: I meant to say, I can't speak for ethyl acetate since I don't use it much, but I wouldn't use acetone on that. At best it'll scuff up the plastic, at worst it might melt off the silk screen or even warp the plastic.

Although fair warning, IPA might scuff the plastic too. I'd use care.
      04-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Where do you get your nail polish remover? It's usually either acetone or (more commonly now) ethyl acetate. Does rubbing alcohol actually remove sharpie? Does it remove nail polish, for that matter?

Edit: I meant to say, I can't speak for ethyl acetate since I don't use it much, but I wouldn't use acetone on that. At best it'll scuff up the plastic, at worst it might melt off the silk screen or even warp the plastic.

Although fair warning, IPA might scuff the plastic too. I'd use care.
Thats a fair amount of caution, i use whatever the wife keeps at home for nail polish remover. I think its the generic wegmans brand. My instructions were to DAB the liquid with a cloth or cotton ball, then wipe with water, and then dry it.

Now i'm wondering... Have u considered going over it with a black sharpie to cover it up???
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Ninpo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

You can use an Expo dry erase marker to remove Sharpie marks if its on a nonporous surface. Then, you wipe off the Sharpie and Expo with a towel.

This is from a trick that can be used on dry erase boards. If you want a more permanent marking on a dry erase board, then use a sharpie. If you want it off, then use an expo dry erase marker and mark over the sharpie. They sell an Expo Board Doctor specifically for this purpose. It's no more than an Expo marker with no dye for ink, so it's clear, but you could use this or any other color of Expo marker.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

I would not start with nail polish remover. Try rubbing/isopropyl alcohol first.
      04-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Here is the order of harshness...I would start at the top of the list and work your way down: (Alex is right on the money, too!)

70% alcohol
90% alcohol
Denatured alcohol
Nail polish remover

npr will probably mess with your silk screened images as mentioned above. its pretty harsh...right below paint thinner which is several steps below lacquer thinner....

start with the alcohol...I have had great luck with denatured...but you should try that in an unseen area first!

JP
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
isosunrise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Is that the silver sharpie? I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Anyway, little known fact: Isopropyl alcohol is the solvent used in sharpies. Especially on non-porous materials, it'll go through that stuff like butter. On matte plastic finishes it's a bit more problematic, but if you give the part a good soak, it should get in there. Doesn't mess up electronics either, and evaporates quickly.

I actually traced out cuts on my rear seat with sharpie, then just washed it off with IPA after I was done making them. Much easier than chalk or some kind of heavy pencil line.

Sidenote, drawing over sharpie with dry erase marker will also take it off. But again, porous materials won't do so hot. Really only useful on glass, or, you know, dry erase boards.
Its the silver mess in between my heated seat buttons, you can't notice it?

Anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
isosunrise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Here is the order of harshness...I would start at the top of the list and work your way down: (Alex is right on the money, too!)

70% alcohol
90% alcohol
Denatured alcohol
Nail polish remover

npr will probably mess with your silk screened images as mentioned above. its pretty harsh...right below paint thinner which is several steps below lacquer thinner....

start with the alcohol...I have had great luck with denatured...but you should try that in an unseen area first!

JP
Believe it or not I will be trying all of these methods today. Just to throw it out there (because everyones pretty open on here) I am an executive assistant to the owner of an import export business. The building we rent office space from is actually a fragrance factory - filling and shipping fragrances around the clock... with that is the owner who is also a chemist, I am going to see what kind of alcohol he has / suggests as he would know right?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

Use toothpaste. Trust me. My little boy it hold of a black marker pen and drew all over the bedroom walls, and wardrobe. Toothpaste removed it no issues.

Place tooth paste on it, leave it for a minute or two, then rub in circular motion (quite hard)
Cree angel eyes - 19" 313 OEM alloy wheels - 15mm rear spacers - Black performance Grilles - Alloy pedals - Tinted windows - Shadowline trim - M3 rear Spoiler - Tail light mod - LED interior lighting - k&n panel Filter - Performance Diffuser - Carbon Badges alround - Bluetooth - Air intake scoops - Painted Calipers - Custom Stainless Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
isosunrise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well took the 70% alcohol advice and well... Its pretty much gone! Thanks guys!

Thinking of waiting a few hours and going at it again. I took a cotton ball and rubbed in a circular motion and it started coming off slowly but surly!

See the after pic below -

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
right below paint thinner which is several steps below lacquer thinner....
Neither here nor there, but lacquer thinner is brutal. Only chemical I've ever come in contact with that causes noticeable, uncomfortable burns on unbroken, healthy skin within a minute or two of contact. Lesson learned to use HEAVY rubber gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosunrise View Post
Its the silver mess in between my heated seat buttons, you can't notice it?
I just kind of assumed by your post you meant black sharpie, and the picture looked like it could have been a really badly scraped/mared button is all.
      04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

thought of another one today....

WD-40...might be your best option....again..try it in a spot no one will see first...

JP
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thought of another one today....

WD-40...might be your best option....again..try it in a spot no one will see first...

JP
Thought that as well, but I tested it: it smears and gets messy, but isn't as effective as googone.
Appreciate 0