E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Defective ARDesign catted downpipes - yes or no?

08-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Defective ARDesign catted downpipes - yes or no?

So I purchased AR Design Downpipes with Race Cat's about 20 months ago, paid big money $1250, but paid the money because I didn't want to have to deal with emission issues etc.

When I purchased them, the website stated:

Lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects given to original owner.

NO CEL on pre 29.2 Progman cars - post 29.2/MSD81 testing is currently being completed, but due to the superior quality of the cats, we expect no issues.

I was post 29.2, but had it sounded like they would be find and figured if they didn't work I would just return them.

I installed and they worked flawlessly, no CEL's got through emissions the first year, all good, car has not had a software update since before the downpipes were installed (2008 335i).

About a month ago, I get a CEL and both rear O2's are showing cat inefficiency codes, so much for the superior design of the cats.

Now I look at their website and they have figured out this is an issue, so it says:

Lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects given to original owner.

NO CEL on pre 29.2 cars. Post 29.2 cars may require a DP Fix.

So now I have had to add DPFix for $100 to get rid of the codes and get it through the emissions test this year.

My big issue is that I consider this a defect - they worked when purchased and when I bought them the disclaimer did not say they would not work like it does now, but over time they lose efficiency and no longer perform as represented or as they did the first year.

I contacted Andrew and they don't seem to take the issue seriously. Had I known they would not work I would have just paid $450 less for catless and bought the downpipe fix and been done with it. Andrew asked what I wanted and I asked for that instead, give me the difference back and send me working catless downpipes (since I already have the DPFix). Seems the only catted options is some crazy expensive race cats that make no sense pricewise and I wouldn't expect as a replacement.

So my question is, am I asking too much andwould you consider them a defective product that they should stand behind with their lifetime warranty and address the issue? I just feel like I was taken for the extra money and oversold a product that is underperforming.

Andrew has not responded to my last 2 emails in week and a half now, so it seems he is no longer interested in working with me, that is why I have decided to post and see if I am expecting too much or if you think AR Design should stand behind my purchase?

Thanks for reading,

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

That phrase "manufacturing defects" is the big get out of jail free card when it comes to "lifetime" warranties. They worked fine for 20 months, so I'd say there weren't any issues with the "manufacturing", but the catalysts themselves simply didn't hold up. At least I'm pretty confident that's the line you'll eventually get if you do hear back.

I concur that they haven't handled it properly and that the cats should still be functioning properly since theoretically nothing changed with your car. I think they're just having a hard time accepting the fact that someone actually wants their cats to be functional.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I was going to get a set of those also so I didn't have to worry about emission tests every year and then I read on here people were having this exact problem with them (just a month or so ago when I was doing my research). A ~1 year lifespan on a cat is not really expected as far as I know or acceptable IMO unless it is specifically stated that they are only expected to last for that long. I would be contacting the BBB at a minimum if they don't do something to make it right.

I also don't think its acceptable for a company that charges that kind of premium to not respond to you for that long either. Thank god for VRSF!!!

GL

Last edited by deathbunny; 08-02-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Thanks for the replies, I honestly think they should just stop selling them as there is no way they can work as there can't be any pre 29.2 cars left as they have all been recalled for software updates and get updated for the injector or hpfp recalls.

I hope no one else wastes their hard earned money! Don't get me wrong - quality is awesome form AR, just the cats they chose are junk.

Last edited by roadkillrob; 08-03-2013 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Xzach92X
New kid on the block
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
2009 E92 335i  [0.00]
Bms catless dps $400 ar catted $1200 bite the bullet throw those things on craigslist take the loss and get bms dps