E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anti trapping window warning/ failure

10-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
AlB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT gry/blk

Anti trapping window warning/ failure

Did a search and could not find anything..

yesterday I pulled into a parking garage and flipped the driver side window up and it stopped halfway up, so it did it again and it went down (?) trying it again it went up about 2-3 inches and stopped. i repeated this to get the window all the way up. When I turned the engine off some hieroglyphic thingy shows up and so I RTFM and determine that the "anti-trapping system" has malfuntioned alnong with a warning that my battery remote needs replacing, Soooooo...

Is this a self resettable item or do I visit the dealer for a three day "gee we can't seem to fix it so we are replacing the window/door/ECU/car/all of the above?

Is this a pretense of things to come?

Do you think the CA fob battery replacement has something to do with this?

Thanks, and point me to a thread if I should have done a
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Ive experienced this in several BMW's. You just need to reset that window.

When the window is all the way down, hold the switch up as the window goes up. Keep holding it for about 10 seconds after its reached the top. Then Hold the switch completely down as it goes back down. Then keep it held for 10 seconds again after its all the way down.

It should work normal again when you flick the switch for auto up or down.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
AlB
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah e36 and 46 are that way. This one in the failed mode will only raise or lower 2-3 inches at a time and I have tried both raising and lowering the window holding the power on and nothing happens
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlB View Post
Yeah e36 and 46 are that way. This one in the failed mode will only raise or lower 2-3 inches at a time and I have tried both raising and lowering the window holding the power on and nothing happens
Interesting turn of events. Too many computerized gizmos now in the e90's it seems. What was wrong with the way the e36/46 did it?

Anyway, what if you just called up the dealer and spoke to an SA over the phone. Most of the time they will oblige a couple diagnosis without having to bring the car in. However, if youre getting a true warning on the dash, might have to be reprogrammed.

Intrigued to find out what the result is.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

At first I thought maybe you were drinking this stuff, but then you would have gotten the "Anti-Trappist" warning light.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
AlB
Private First Class
Rep

Mmmmmmm Beeeer...
Yes it Appears tht BMW is reforming the "Trappist" movement:

http://www.bancrueltraps.com/c1_getting_started.php
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
AlB
Private First Class
Rep

Self Healing Software?

Well, I had some time to kill whilst sitting in traffic so...I rolled the widow all the way down and held it down 10 sec (it only went down or up 2-3" at a time) the warning light went out...hmmm so I rolled it up (2-3" at a time) to the closed position (warning light went back on as I rolled it up) and held it for ~10sec the light went out. Now I hit the auto down and it rolled all the way down like it was supposed to. So I rolled it up, light went back on and it would do the 2-3" at a time. Held it 10 sec at the top and light went out. rolled it down auto mode and then tried it back up....voila...it is now fully functional
so maybe there is some sort of reset like e36-46 or maybe the anti trappist feature is intermittent and it will reappear in the future. I'm bettting on the latter

Does anyone think I could use this bug to get my dealer to update software to the latest progman? They are not anxious to upgrade the software which is the original 3/06 build date progman
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlB View Post
Does anyone think I could use this bug to get my dealer to update software to the latest progman? They are not anxious to upgrade the software which is the original 3/06 build date progman
You could try, doesnt hurt to ask. Glad to see it sorta worked out for you though.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #9
austin.tillison
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
My window was only going up and down 2 inches at a time but now its functioning perfectly.

Only issue is the anti-trap warning lighting is still flashing and ringing every 30 seconds on my dashboard.

Do I need to get the computer reprogrammed to take care of this?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.tillison View Post
My window was only going up and down 2 inches at a time but now its functioning perfectly. Only issue is the anti-trap warning lighting is still flashing and ringing every 30 seconds on my dashboard.
Do I need to get the computer reprogrammed to take care of this?
Which window(s) were NOT functioning properly when attempting to use 1-touch?

Try this Initializing Procedure on EACH window, starting with the last one messed with BEFORE the anti-trap warning lit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ulator/HmL0y0i

See also Bentley, 512-19, p. 692 of pdf (see links below).

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Handy E9x References.pdf (217.1 KB, 362 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
austin.tillison
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Which window(s) were NOT functioning properly when attempting to use 1-touch?

Try this Initializing Procedure on EACH window, starting with the last one messed with BEFORE the anti-trap warning lit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ulator/HmL0y0i

See also Bentley, 512-19, p. 692 of pdf (see links below).

George
Driver’s side rear window is the one giving me trouble

I’m about to try reseting all of the windows
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #12
austin.tillison
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Yeah so i just spent close to an hour resetting each window and disconnecting the battery several times and i still can't get the anti trap warning light to go off on the dash

all of the windows are working perfectly
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:15 AM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.tillison View Post
Yeah so i just spent close to an hour resetting each window and disconnecting the battery several times and i still can't get the anti trap warning light to go off on the dash

all of the windows are working perfectly
Need to read Fault Codes in the JBE module, and/or FRM module, and do diagnostics of each window with INPA, ISTA, or some scan tool that can read codes & parameters in JBE & FRM. Either the warning won't go off until you clear the code (even though one-touch is now working, or there IS actually a fault in the Anti-trap system in spite of the fact that each window appears to work perfectly.

I have read the various "Status" and "Activation" screens in INPA, to see what information it can give you, but I've never had a Fault Code in the JBE or FRM, so can't tell you exactly what you would expect to find. I would expect that it will at least tell you which window has an issue, and at least a vague description of what the issue is. It could be something as simple as the wrong technique was used to try to initialize (button held too long, not pressed soon enough, etc.) Have you tried doing the initialization procedure (per TIS) for EACH window using its own separate switch as opposed the the Driver Cluster switch?

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 12-21-2018 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:58 AM   #14
harry7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

Hi i have the same issue, rear right window is stuck about two inches before closing. and the warning light appeared in my dash and beeps after every 15 secs. I got the regulator plus motor replaced, but the fault and the error is still there.... anybody can help me that ready worried
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #15
austin.tillison
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry7 View Post
Hi i have the same issue, rear right window is stuck about two inches before closing. and the warning light appeared in my dash and beeps after every 15 secs. I got the regulator plus motor replaced, but the fault and the error is still there.... anybody can help me that ready worried
I'm assuming you already tried the initialization process? If not, look up how to do that and that might fix it for you.

If that doesn't fix it, this is what I did: I ended up taking my car to the dealer for some recalls at the same time that I was having trouble with my window. They updated and reset the computer while they had the car and that solved the issue for me. If you have access to a scan tool or a local shop that does your computer work for ya, then just try reseting the computer and clearing the fault codes. I believe that's all it took for mine to work properly again.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
harry7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

I some how managed to fix the window, i checked the fuse box and replaced window fuses. Now all windows are working fine and i have reinitialized them too. all windows are now one click up and down but the error in the dash is still there and its really annoying as it beeps after every 15 seconds... and i dont have access to computer, went to the local guy and he charged me 50 bucks for just scanning and that was done when the window was not working...

Last edited by harry7; 06-01-2019 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0