View Single Post
      07-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #97
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Hi

Can't take credit for using the MS8 to power the centre and rears, I think a few others had done that first but it's certainly worth doing!

I think you will struggle with the cross overs in the doors, I believe it can be done though, might be an idea to have the doors off and have a play. It's very easy!

If you've not bought the Focals yet I'd seriously consider first just adding a centre and running everything off the MS8. The results are remarkable, the under seats really wake up as well.

The Focals are great speakers no doubt about that, although after hearing them compared to some Morels in a friends similar setup I have to say the Morels pipped it for me, they sounded "warmer" if that makes sense?

That said, it could have just be down to the better amp the Morels were playing on (XD600/6), compared to my Focals being powered by a rather low end JBL amp. I think the first thing I would change out in my setup would be the amp.

If you are going the Focal route I've found reducing the tweeter cross overs to -6db, despite the manual suggesting they be set at 0db when in the tweeter sail locations, far better. Unless you like nose bleeds. They can be a bit over powering!

I've had no issues with PDC bongs, front and rear work perfectly as long as you remember to feed all four channels into the MS8. I believe you lose front and rear separation, but front and rear PDC bongs sound different anyway, plus there's the image on the idrive if you have it.

I do get Bluetooth echo on hands free if I have the phone volume too loud during a call, keep it reasonable though and this isn't really an issue. There is a firmware update for the MS8 to allow you to knock off the processing during a call to stop this entirely. I've not bothered updating though as, like I said its not a big issue.