View Single Post
      08-30-2005, 01:40 AM   #9
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose1lm
I've been to a local Audio store in my town and the told me that they can put a kenwood (KVT-717DVD) head unit (DVD/GPS, etc) in the original place where the current stereo is. They showed me the frame for the unit and it will replace what is currently there. The frame fills in as the original and where the head piece goes, there is an offset so the actualy face for the unit sits flush and doesn't stick out on the outside edge. He suggested this unit because the LCD angles are very adjustable. I have not gone back to actually set up an appointment because I'm just waiting to see if there are other options out there and see if people post pics of their after market audio installs.

The install tech said the steering wheel controls will still function the same. The one thing he said is he wasn't sure if the blue tooth phone numbers can be displayed on the head unit or have the address book available through the head unit. He was going to look into this for me.

JLM
If you have Logic 7, they´re not going to get it to work. Ask them specifically if they´ve ever done an E90 before. I.e. the steering wheel controls are hooked up quite different from the E46. The Logic7 has no normal signal input. It get´s all (audio) signals through the digital MOST-Bus. There are no aftermarket headunits or adaptors that can deliver the signal for the MOST-Bus, so you´d at least have to replace the processor and amps, too.
Be weary, such stores will tell a lot of stories to make the deal, but they´ll hack up your E90 for good and make a mess of it. Have them show you a working E90 system before you commence.

Btw, the aftermarket frame looks lousy. The radio has an offset with it. BMW themselves sell a frame (at least in Europe) that has no offset (though you have to modify the bracket behind the frame to make it fit), that looks a lot nicer.

You can find some pics of an aftermarket install with the BMW frame in this thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2894

But again: That car has no Logic 7 and even then, it was really difficult to get it to work at all