04-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
sovende96
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
The first thing I must say is, I checked your car year, and it is a 2007. That brings me to my next point.

The 2007/ early 2008 had a subframe problem. When the motor is running, at certain times, it can and will move hitting the subframe or something. This can break the pulley or shred the belt.

There are a lot of high mileage 335i's without incident of the belt breaking like this unless it is the 07 model which has the subframe problem.

Even then, what may have happened is that this contact was made a long time ago and did damage the belt. Over time, the belt just wore down and got worse. Then it finally snapped.

I find it quite hard to believe based on your picture that the belt was perfect 1 minute, the next minute, it just snapped like that. Especially, when you look at the way it started to tear vertically.
Ill look further at the pulley system/where the belt snapped in the morning. All the pulleys looked fine today and did not hear any funny noises after the belt snapped. Hopefully it is not as you say, and there is no subframe damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
Do you just let them go until they snap?
You should be able to tell if your belt shows signs of wear. Based on your current mileage, it depends whether or not you want to replace the belt.
Appreciate 0