06-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazy69 View Post
ok ill call the parts department and see how that goes tomorrow for the sails. Part of me wants to but dont have the time and really nervous about messing something up. When its your only car to get around for work and all its hard to have it in pieces. Im getting some high price quotes though. What would you estimate a job like this should cost. Im just missing the wiring?
At the end of the day you've got to do what you're comfortable with. If I wasn't confident in my own abilities I wouldn't have done it. It is after all a less than six month old car that wasn't cheap either! Fitting will no doubt cost a fair chunk of money which could be used towards the cost of equipment instead. If I were to be paying someone to install it I would want to know they were completely competent and knew the car inside out rather than just having a go. Some people are worth paying for, others aren't!

I would say that if you've got fair DIY skills, patience and the right tools it's perfectly manageable. The main thing is to research every area before hand and learn as much as you can before you touch it yourself. That's what I did and that's why I posted up my car, because I hadn't managed to find a guide to the newer iDrive dash removal.

The BMW is very well put together and not some fragile cheap hatch that snaps every clip when you try and remove something.