02-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #31
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eights-n-Aces View Post
I'll answer my own question. There are some very slight differences but all-in-all this DIY was a great guide for my 2010 E93.

I started by running the wire from the rear view mirror, across the top, down the A-Pillar and to the fuse box.

The A-pillar trim is slightly different since there is no torx screw to remove. There are only two plastic push clips and the slots at the bottom. Start at the top, next to the glass and pull slowly towards the center of the car. Also, there is no airbag or foam on the inside of the trim to worry about.

The instructions say to "Plug the fuse blade into an empty slot". I tried all of the empty slots in the range 1-10 but only one provided power but it was always on. Slot 8 is keyed with the ingition so I removed the 20A fuse and replaced it with the fuse tap and a 10A fuse.
Did you consider doing it the other way, by tapping into the power that runs into the lights area? I tried pulling down that trim a bit once, and got afriad I might break it, and figured that mod would only work with cars that have sunroof controls.

This is the DIY I'm referring to: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545

Running it this way has one advantage for E93's that I can think of for the Valentine 1, which is that the Direct-Wire Power Adapter can be tucked in the fuse area I assume, whereas up in the headliner I don't think there's any room in our cars.
Appreciate 0