09-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #20
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Just a whiff of hysteria around here...
Very true.

I'm absolutely gutted for all our friends on here who have had their cars taken, I would feel exactly the same. I have personally experienced theft from one my cars, family have had cars stolen, friends have had cars stolen.

But don't lose sight of the fact ALL CARS OF ALL MAKES CAN BE STOLEN.

The only variable being how quickly this can be done.

Yes, there is organised criminality exploiting a vulnerability within the OBD port of BMW's. If it wasn't that it would be exploiting a weakness with your home security to get the keys (still favourite) if not that then directly from you while you're in it (thankfully very rare)

By all means, make yours harder to steal than the next guys, don't leave things of value on display, try not to park in secluded areas. This will all help.

There are far easier cars to steal , of equal interest to organised gangs, than a BMW.

I hope BMW do address this issue, I'm annoyed by it's existence, I don't particularly want to see it advertised across the nation though. It's bad enough seeing it pasted all over the car forums!

If it wasn't the OBD it would be something else, there's always a way!

Trust me