E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shipping my car

03-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC
Rough estimates show, it'll take about 3 days of driving, $400 in gas (assume you get 27mpg), 2 hotel stays @ $100 ea. Not counting food.

Either way really costs about the same. A plane ticket now for August is $200, plus the 400-600 to ship the car.

Your car will make the drive a hundred times, don't bother asking that question "will my car make it?" lol.
3 days!?!? Lololol man. Day and a half. Just hit it! One stop to sleep a little and finish!

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
thesliu
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

if you've got some time, try to convince your rents to let you drive. i did a drive from DC to SF. it was one of the best experiences of my life and i didn't even get to do it in my 335i.
      04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
thesliu
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

oh and honestly, i'd be a little bit wary of being seen in and parking a bmw by hopkins. i have several friends who went there. one got his car broken into and another was mugged while getting out of his car. they didn't even drive nice cars (one drives an accord and another a jetta). i'm not saying this just to scare you- be safe there, baltimore's no joke.
      04-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesliu View Post
oh and honestly, i'd be a little bit wary of being seen in and parking a bmw by hopkins. i have several friends who went there. one got his car broken into and another was mugged while getting out of his car. they didn't even drive nice cars (one drives an accord and another a jetta). i'm not saying this just to scare you- be safe there, baltimore's no joke.
Definitely. I know that it can get pretty sketchy if you aren't paying attention (and even if you are). I will be parking in an underground garage lot which is part of the apartment I will be leasing - cameras + locked garage. Plus, the apartment complex is on the 'better' side of the school if you can say that.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #27
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Thanks for all of the tips guys!

And as for driving it, I will probably drive it back after winter break, but my parents (and yes, this is going to sound extremely stupid) still think of me as their 'little baby' even though I am now 20 and are petrified of me driving coast to coast (even though my dad did it when he was close to my age).
Parents are parents. I've been through same situation. But anyway, its good for you in long term.
Be careful that you do not transport your car on train. Read this thread on "Rail Dust" causing rust on paint.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822039

However, you may try to convince your dad to ride with you.
Or else, find a good transport company even if costs more money.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Parents are parents. I've been through same situation. But anyway, its good for you in long term.
Be careful that you do not transport your car on train. Read this thread on "Rail Dust" causing rust on paint.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822039

However, you may try to convince your dad to ride with you.
Or else, find a good transport company even if costs more money.
Yup, I did read that about rail dust. I will try to have it shipped by truck.

Thanks!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #29
Colo M/Sport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 M / Sport

Quote:
Yup, I go to Johns Hopkins.
Used to know this old doc that went to Johns Hopkins in the early 1930's. He drove back and forth to school from Montana on a motorcycle. And this is when the roads were nothing like todays. He claimed the motorcycle was perfect because with enough speed the wheels acted as gyro's and kept the bike upright when hitting the ruts in the road. Imagine being on a bike for 1500 miles, probably half of it on dirt roads. No wonder he was tough enough to survive a Japanese prison camp during WWII. (Still think'n of ya Doc.)

Was this off topic? I'm on this post because I'm looking for a way to ship a car from VA. Shipping is cheap if miles on your car are worth anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.26]
2008 328i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo M3 View Post
Used to know this old doc that went to Johns Hopkins in the early 1930's. He drove back and forth to school from Montana on a motorcycle. And this is when the roads were nothing like todays. He claimed the motorcycle was perfect because with enough speed the wheels acted as gyro's and kept the bike upright when hitting the ruts in the road. Imagine being on a bike for 1500 miles, probably half of it on dirt roads. No wonder he was tough enough to survive a Japanese prison camp during WWII. (Still think'n of ya Doc.)

Was this off topic? I'm on this post because I'm looking for a way to ship a car from VA. Shipping is cheap if miles on your car are worth anything.
not really off topics but a great first post ! welcome to the forum now lets see ur car
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
Colo M/Sport
Private
Rep

"not really off topics but a great first post ! welcome to the forum now lets see ur car"

You'll see it when I see it. Picking it up next week.

I signed up with one of those guys that is supposed to give you 10 shipping quotesd (Autotransport411). In other words he handed out my email and phone number to a bunch of truckers. I've gotten at least 25 emails and 5-8 calls a day since. A major mistake on my part. We should keep this thread going until we get 5 or 6 legitimate movers. The name I got from a Lexus dealer was FSC. If I use them I'll post my experience.

Update: Talked with FSC today and they seem legit. Can't go with them because of the price - $950 from VA to Denver. I'll probably drive it back. Tina with FSC said that half of the guys on the phony broker deal have filed that they are signed up to haul my car. I haven't signed with anyone. By doing this they hope to block anyone else from picking up the contract or at least influence the price of any quote I get in the future. A lot of cr@p going on in the transport business.

Last edited by Colo M/Sport; 04-28-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #32
alpinewhite335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 coupe

Did i see you Mount Vernon area yesterday ? i Was in AW e92.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo M3 View Post

Not really off topic haha. Cool story btw and can't wait to see ur car! Definitely a good idea to keep the thread going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite335 View Post
Did i see you Mount Vernon area yesterday ? i Was in AW e92.
I wasn't there yesterday, no, but about two weekends ago I was at stag of Siam with a bunch of friends around lunch time and saw a clean e92 328i across the street. I think it was LCI, but I don't remember for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #34
weaponrx
Rep
Drives: 2010 E63 M6

I used intercity lines when I bought my car and had it shipped across the country. Most professional company I found and they took care of my beast. The seat was wrapped and the car was covered while inside of the truck (I used enclosed). I loved my car too much to have it out in the open. You get what you pay for and I didnt want any regrets. They werent the cheapest but def not the most expensive. They were fast, easy to use and communicate with and I would use them again. Let them know you are from a bimmer forum and you get another discount.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
Colo M/Sport
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponrx View Post
I used intercity lines ....They werent the cheapest but def not the most expensive. They were fast, easy to use and communicate with and I would use them again. Let them know you are from a bimmer forum and you get another discount.
Just got a quote from intercity at $1800 which is line with your comment "They weren't the cheapest". Yeah, like DOUBLE. But that's probably with the discount.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

I shipped my car from MN to MA when I bought it. I used a guy named Gilbert at philamtransport. He is a bit quirky, but his customer service was amazing (and I have high expectations)... Google him, his reviews are all stellar (5 of 5 stars).

I wouldn't recommend using any other broker. Gilbert is the man. I recommend him all the time.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #37
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Use some strong tape to tape down the wipers and cover the wind shield wiper nozzles too. Painters tape is ur friend. Also tape up bumpers (front/back) cuz u never know which direction ur car will be facing on the trailer???

Consider getting a great coat of wax on the paint before the shipping. Max out your auto insurance for the week of transport (full coverage with $100 deductible). Test out ur BMW assist a week before the transport to make sure the remote door unlock works.

Vinyl wrap can be ur friend if u r up to doing the entire car yourself?

Get it in writing that the car will always be locked unless being operated to move off/on trailer. Get shipping companies insurance policy number and double check the coverage limits. Also ask ur insurance if they cover u in case $hit happens. Keep about 1/8th tank of gas so if someone steals it... They gotta pump it up to get anywhere. If u have a battery tender... Charge up the car to max before hand.

I shipped two vehicles from SoCal to NJ for $900 total

Last edited by fazman; 04-28-2013 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
You may want to consider an enclosed trailer for obvious reasons. I believe the cost would run you near $1000.
I'll second this. I shipped my car enclosed and it cost $1000.... The reason, rock chips, damage from junk on the road, hail, etc. are not covered by the shipper's insurance. With a nice car you want to ship enclosed.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #39
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Use some strong tape to tape down the wipers and cover the wind shield wiper nozzles too. Painters tape is ur friend. Also tape up bumpers (front/back) cuz u never know which direction ur car will be facing on the trailer???

Consider getting a great coat of wax on the paint before the shipping. Max out your auto insurance for the week of transport (full coverage with $100 deductible). Test out ur BMW assist a week before the transport to make sure the remote door unlock works.

Vinyl wrap can be ur friend if u r up to doing the entire car yourself?

Get it in writing that the car will always be locked unless being operated to move off/on trailer. Get shipping companies insurance policy number and double check the coverage limits. Also ask ur insurance if they cover u in case $hit happens. Keep about 1/8th tank of gas so if someone steals it... They gotta pump it up to get anywhere. If u have a battery tender... Charge up the car to max before hand.

I shipped two vehicles from SoCal to NJ for $900 total
Great tips! One thing I was wondering. I have a BMW car cover... could I possibly ship it with the car cover on while in transit? and then they can just take it off and throw it in the trunk when they are driving the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great tips! One thing I was wondering. I have a BMW car cover... could I possibly ship it with the car cover on while in transit? and then they can just take it off and throw it in the trunk when they are driving the car?
Strongly advise against asking them to have the truck driver do anything. They do more damage then good. Do u know how many degrees it takes to be a truck driver???

Also, take great pics of the car from all over just after the wash (but before the waxing), with time date stamp on pic. Also take pics at drop off of the car, for ur baseline of the car. Make sure u drop it off in the day time and take pics of the car at delivery in ur destination. MAKE sure they only deliver the car at day time so u can inspect and report issues on the truck drivers paper work. If u do it at night or under fluorescent light... Its hard to inspect. My truck driver told me he would be running late the day of and he can drop off at my place only at night. I told him i won't be available cuz i'm busy at work and to schedule for the next day in the day time. Take pics at delivery as well.

Get in writing all the details for the claims process in case something happens in transport. U don't want to be rejected on ur claim cuz u didn't follow a step with the transporter. Also u need to remember, shipping brokers r easy to get a hold of until u make payment.... After they get ur money, its like who r u? Get all ur ducks in a row before paying and once u do pay... Make sure u get all the details. Don't be afraid to tell them u don't like the way something is worded in a contract... Have them change stuff to ur benefit within reason.

Kinda like the used car sales man that tells me his fees r fixed cuz they r printed already on the forms... Well my big black magic marker can fix that form is my answer

Last edited by fazman; 04-28-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Strongly advise against asking them to have the truck driver do anything. They do more damage then good. Do u know how many degrees it takes to be a truck driver???

Also, take great pics of the car from all over just after the wash (but before the waxing), with time date stamp on pic. Also take pics at drop off of the car, for ur baseline of the car. Make sure u drop it off in the day time and take pics of the car at delivery in ur destination. MAKE sure they only deliver the car at day time so u can inspect and report issues on the truck drivers paper work. If u do it at night or under fluorescent light... Its hard to inspect. My truck driver told me he would be running late the day of and he can drop off at my place only at night. I told him i won't be available cuz i'm busy at work and to schedule for the next day in the day time. Take pics at delivery as well.

Get in writing all the details for the claims process in case something happens in transport. U don't want to be rejected on ur claim cuz u didn't follow a step with the transporter. Also u need to remember, shipping brokers r easy to get a hold of until u make payment.... After they get ur money, its like who r u? Get all ur ducks in a row before paying and once u do pay... Make sure u get all the details. Don't be afraid to tell them u don't like the way something is worded in a contract... Have them change stuff to ur benefit within reason.

Kinda like the used car sales man that tells me his fees r fixed cuz they r printed already on the forms... Well my big black magic marker can fix that form is my answer
Thanks. I will definitely take this all into consideration when it comes closer to the time of shipping.

Everyone has been a great help here!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #42
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
I'll second this. I shipped my car enclosed and it cost $1000.... The reason, rock chips, damage from junk on the road, hail, etc. are not covered by the shipper's insurance. With a nice car you want to ship enclosed.
Full car vinyl wrap and extra auto insurance might be a better deal then $1k in enclosed container. Hail damage can be fixed with PDR, vinyl is pretty durable.

But just making a show by asking questions and showing that u care can make all the difference in the world. If they take u to be a super ninja freak about detail... It will make the difference to put ur car in a better spot over everyone else who didn't care. Oh and tape up the shark fin too... All around.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #43
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

One last tip, when u get to the east coast... The roads r shit! Drive slow, lots of craters (not pot holes) that will bubble ur tires and bend ur rims. Change out ur license plate screws ever april after the winter cuz they rust (M5 x 0.8 length screws are like .60 cents for a bag of 5 from lowes). Once they rust its going to be a bitch to fix. So make sure u remove the entire license plate bracket (front and rear) to inspect every Nov and Apr. Also get a tire pressure guage which is accurate. Every 10*F change is a 1psi change in tire pressure. Always keep them topped up in the winter cuz of potholes. These were all things i never cared about in SoCal and learned the hard way in NJ. Also, once u get to the east coast... Tisher BMW (getbmwparts.com) should be your new best friend. Drain all the wiper fluid from your cali car and go to any bmw dealership to have them top it off with wiper fluid which shouldn't freeze up in the winter.
Appreciate 0