E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 parts - Worth it?

11-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #23
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
+1million
I second that. VAC did my LSD and they went above and beyond to make sure everything worked perfectly. Here's my story about my experience with VAC and an issue I had with a wavetrac unit. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605830
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
I second that. VAC did my LSD and they went above and beyond to make sure everything worked perfectly. Here's my story about my experience with VAC and an issue I had with a wavetrac unit. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605830
That really is above and beyond for VAC to do all that. My one issue is getting there and back. My relative small number of driving partners also plays a factor in choosing mod shops.
      11-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I would also opt for the KW rather than the Bilstein. Except if you want something even better like the Öhlins Road & Track. I've experienced quite a few problems with the Bilstein and am not the only one (review is in the links in my signature).

Alpina_B3_Lux
Listen to Alpina... he has immense experience on this and races his car all time.

Also, do ALL the M3 component front and rear, the M3 subframe bushings AND you MUST do the rear toe arms as I have just found out or the car will still accel/decel wiggly.
Attached Images

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #26
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
Alpina, your review (and 'Ring photos) was one of the reviews that shifted me back to the KW V3's. A slammed look might be good for a car show or photo shoot, but its impractical for DD, especially where I live.

Back to the LSD debate; I'm waiting to hear back from the vendor to see what their Install Kit includes since my MY has a welded diff (Awesome!), but given that info, the shop I would be working with says the price of either the Quaife or Wavetrac (+install kits) and the labor to get the unit un-welded and re-machined, I will be in DINAN territory, which is a simple 'pumpkin' swap. I doubt that the install kit is a pumpkin though.

I haven't seen many reviews of the DINAN differential as most people go with Quaife because of their lower prices and durability. I've also read that DINAN is a rebadged Quaife so I'm a bit stuck in the middle. Either way my car will be in the shop for 2 days and the difference on install prices might be ~$500.
I did a replacement pumpkin swap on a welded unit. I had to wait months to get one so my car wasn't in the shop and out of commission.... the wait was excruiating, but now it is all back and the wavetrac is great. There are a few threads around that say the OS Gilken clutch LSD is better... more money too I think. You can't go wrong with any LSD on this car I think.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #27
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Listen to Alpina... he has immense experience on this and races his car all time.

Also, do ALL the M3 component front and rear, the M3 subframe bushings AND you MUST do the rear toe arms as I have just found out or the car will still accel/decel wiggly.
Got a link for those toe arms? I'm not seeing them on Tischer.

So far I have
OEM BMW E9x M3 Aluminum Rear Guide Rod Set
OEM BMW E9x M3 Aluminum Rear Wishbone Set
OEM BMW E90/92/93 M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit Set w/Rear subframe bushings.

Also given these component changes, would I still be looking at the KW's for a 335i or an M3? I've read some posts that changing one component to the M3 changes the 'seat' for the coil overs?
      11-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #28
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
I think those are custom made because the M3 ones do not fit.

Last edited by tscdennab; 11-21-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #29
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I think that those are custom made because the M3 ones do not fit.
Correct. That is why I was hoping DaFish would chime in with where he found that pretty picture
      11-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #30
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Correct. That is why I was hoping DaFish would chime in with where he found that pretty picture
Those are Rogue Engineering toe arms. Also HPAutowerks sells them.

I wish someone who installed them would tell us their driving experience.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #31
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So far I have
OEM BMW E90/92/93 M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit Set w/Rear subframe bushings.

Also given these component changes, would I still be looking at the KW's for a 335i or an M3? I've read some posts that changing one component to the M3 changes the 'seat' for the coil overs?
Hi, sorry on the delay... here is the link

http://www.hpashop.com/Rogue-Enginer...rms-E9X-TA.htm

They are going on the car tomorrow, and a 4 wheel alignment on Wed.

I can't wait... it better fix the torque steer, it has to be fixed. I have heard that these will fix it from 2 members, so I am very hopeful.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #32
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

So far I have

If you don't get the m3 rear lower camber arm, then you just use 335i rear dampers not m3.
      11-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #33
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

So far I have

If you get the M3 rear lower camber link, then you'll need an M3 rear shock. I'm not sure if you can purchase a set of KW's that way. Maybe you can by now. GL.

Last edited by neoduffer; 01-31-2012 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #34
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
Those are Rogue Engineering toe arms. Also HPAutowerks sells them.

I wish someone who installed them would tell us their driving experience.
I just got mine. However, I'll only be installing them next February, so any report of experience until then would be appreciated.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #35
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer View Post
If you get the M3 rear lower camber link, then you'll need an M3 rear shock. I'm not sure if you can purchase a see ok KW's that way. Maybe you can by now. GL.
There are others making shocks for the M3 Camber Link.

Hey, won't the M3 Track Strut work? I hear the advantage of toe arms like Rogue's is further adjust-ability and more secure lock. Also, better price than M3 cast aluminum, yes?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #36
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: Coming home!

What a trip. Bad news followed by more bad news.
First I ran in to an issue with the freaking FACTORY wheel lock key breaking off in the bolt...on the first tire I was changing. After getting all that sorted out at home, the shop sent me a note that the Dinan LSD had arrived and they would be ready to work on the car once I got it there. Jubilation, or so I thought.

That was the second bit of bad news. I supplied all the suspension components, down pipes, sway bars and M3 bits and they brought the Dinan to the party. Only neither of us bothered to check transmission fitment. After three days of installing all the other parts, they went to bolt on the Dinan pumpkin and as it turns out, Dinan only made an LSD for an automatic for one model year, and mine is not that year. The shop did a mad dash to find something they could use and they were able to source a Quaife LSD from VAC up in PA. This route of course meant they would be taking longer since my current Diff is the welded kind.

Then the good news. Turns out after taking off my Diff cover, they saw a bunch of bolts looking back at them. For some odd-ball reason, my '09 Bimmer's diff is not welded, which cuts their install time (and my bill) down considerably.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be driving home with all the below on the car.

12-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #37
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
There are others making shocks for the M3 Camber Link.

Hey, won't the M3 Track Strut work? I hear the advantage of toe arms like Rogue's is further adjust-ability and more secure lock. Also, better price than M3 cast aluminum, yes?
Any e9x M3 shock will fit. Ground Control makes a non-M suspension kit that comes with the Lower Camber Arm.

M3 toe arm wont fit on a non-M, so that part isn't even an option.

Last edited by neoduffer; 12-23-2011 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: change last line from "camber arm" to "toe arm"
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #38
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

If all goes according to plan, I'll be driving home with all the below on the car.

enjoy the ride...

Last edited by neoduffer; 12-23-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #39
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
First I ran in to an issue with the freaking FACTORY wheel lock key breaking off in the bolt...on the first tire I was changing. After getting all that sorted out at home, the shop sent me a note that the Dinan LSD had arrived and they would be ready to work on the car once I got it there. Jubilation, or so I thought.

That was the second bit of bad news. I supplied all the suspension components, down pipes, sway bars and M3 bits and they brought the Dinan to the party. Only neither of us bothered to check transmission fitment. After three days of installing all the other parts, they went to bolt on the Dinan pumpkin and as it turns out, Dinan only made an LSD for an automatic for one model year, and mine is not that year. The shop did a mad dash to find something they could use and they were able to source a Quaife LSD from VAC up in PA. This route of course meant they would be taking longer since my current Diff is the welded kind.

Then the good news. Turns out after taking off my Diff cover, they saw a bunch of bolts looking back at them. For some odd-ball reason, my '09 Bimmer's diff is not welded, which cuts their install time (and my bill) down considerably.

Looking forward to hearing your review !! I hope it goes a bit more smoothly.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #40
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer View Post
Any e9x M3 shock will fit. Ground Control makes a non-M suspension kit that comes with the Lower Camber Arm.

M3 camber arm wont fit on a non-M, so that part isn't even an option.
GC uses Koni Yellows and recommends their own adj toe arm, the latter being a good idea w/M3 Camber Arm.

Did you mean M3 Camber Arm won't fit a non-M stock shock? Most others too, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #41
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
GC uses Koni Yellows and recommends their own adj toe arm, the latter being a good idea w/M3 Camber Arm.

Did you mean M3 Camber Arm won't fit a non-M stock shock? Most others too, I believe.
oops, sorry. I meant the M3 toe arm won't fit. (fixing original reply now)
      01-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #42
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Quote:

What were you quoted parts+labor to install the diff? Send me a pm please. welded and or bolted? I wonder if you can determine the whether or not the diff is welded or unwelded by the vin number?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
What were you quoted parts+labor to install the diff? Send me a pm please. welded and or bolted? I wonder if you can determine the whether or not the diff is welded or unwelded by the vin number?
PM Sent!

The rule of thumb is most cars 07/08 are all welded. Even when I had **********s, AtSpeed, Dinan and HPA check my VIN, they all said welded. It wasn't until Bob went in to put the Quaife unit in did we find the pleasant surprise.
      01-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #44
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
PM Sent!

The rule of thumb is most cars 07/08 are all welded. Even when I had **********s, AtSpeed, Dinan and HPA check my VIN, they all said welded. It wasn't until Bob went in to put the Quaife unit in did we find the pleasant surprise.
**********s and AtSpeed have no data on these cars at all and is not a reliable source for this type of info, especially **********s.

I don't know where your info came from(obviously not us), 07/2008 is welded if you have a manual and bolted if you have an auto. The fact is auto was never welded regardless production date.

Dinan started with Quaife, but later switched to Wavetrac since they weren't authorized to sell Quaife. They can build you either auto final drive as both style are available(except for DCT), the fact that they couldn't or don't offer it seem strange to me.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 01-31-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0