E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Diesel Chip Tuning

10-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

Diesel Chip Tuning

Have any of my fellow Aussies experimented with Diesel chip tuning?

I've just jumped over to BMW from VAG - always reprogrammed by Audi ECU's.

Since I can't flash my new bmw yet (e90 320d) - I have taken the plunge and bought a diesel tuner

Anybody have any experience, advice, questions?

Let me know!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Hey mate,

What year is your car?
I think i am the only superchiped 2.0 diesel in Sydney, anyone else?
After chipped is day & night difference, you talking about a 2.0 can compete with some 3.0s

In short, you could "probably" get to 0-100 in 6.5sec.

Go through my old post below, its got all the answers to your questions.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533468
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560193
"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
luster
Major
Rep

I have read those posts

The car is a MY10/11 (November)

I have been speaking with Brendon from Superchips in Sydney as I was enquiring to have my bluefin readapted to my BMW. After checking everything he said it would be some time before they can do it, and even an evasive ECU flash will be quite a complex job.

I'm not a big fan of 'semi-permanent' flashes. The bluefin is beautiful as I can always 'unflash' the car whenever I go in for a service etc. So whilst the bluefin is not available - and my personal paranoia about getting a physical, invasive and 'no coming back' ECU flash I decided to look into the interceptor boxes.

At least I can always just unplug them - and additionally, some are marketed as fuel management/economy systems - so insurance wont hate.

I have a bit of a feeling I will be getting similar gains with the interceptor style chip. It would be interesting to see how our cars go against each other
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

I thing bms have a jb For the d
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

If I was to get mine done I would go the ECU Flash route... however, I do share your concerns about a 'semi-permanent' flash that you have no direct control over.

On the road you are now contemplating travelling... this would be my personal 'plan B' attack if I were you...

http://www.dpchip.com/cars.html

----------------------------

- Up to 35% More Power and Torque
- Up to 10% Better Fuel Economy

•Plug & Play - Fitting times are from 5 - 45 minutes. Once installed, most DPChips can be simply unplugged to return the vehicle to standard power output and condition.

•Safe Downstream Installation - ECU is untouched. All error detection systems and engine operational safety systems remain intact. DPChip cannot harm the vehicles ECU. Does not interfere with injectors. Continuously monitors rail pressure for safe power gains

•Optimises the entire engine map - independently alters timing and fuel to obtain the best possible balance between power gain and optimum durability.

•Portability between vehicles - Each DPChip model covers a large range of vehicles. If you sell your vehicle, depending on vehicle type, you may be able to simply unplug the DPChip and install it in your next EFI controlled vehicle. (Contact DPChips to confirm details).

•World's largest range of EFI diesel tuning modules. Over 1,200 vehicles supported and the range is growing. Backed by Australia's Diesel Experts - Berrima Diesel - since 1956.

•Fully shielded harness protects vehicle electronics and prevents electrical system interference to radios and other devices

•Manual and Laptop Tuning. Only DPChip allows you to fine tune your vehicle to your specific needs. This can be carried out when you first purchase your DPChip or at a later date. The DPChip provides laptop connection via USB.

------------------------------

For 150kw and 400nm you need this...

DP-31

This DPChip is extremely compact around the size of a small mobile phone and is used on Common-rail injected diesels such BMW X5 and Mercedes CRD engines. It features a harness with original plugs for ease of fitting and is pre-set to your vehilce by us. Further adjustable tuning is possible, either manually or electronically via lap top tuning (at our premises). This DPChip has several unique features such as the laptop tuning (usually only required for very heavily modified vehicles or problem vehicles - laptop tuning done at our premises) and easy to fit plugs. A simple plug in installation, fitting takes less than ten minutes on most vehicles.

The DP31 system is designed to work with Common Rail injection systems that use both Magnetic Solenoid controlled injectors and the latest Piezo Solenoid controlled injectors. This style of system of injection system is very old and for example is how EFI petrol cars have operated for many years now by utilising individual electronically controlled injectors with fuel pressure being supplied to all injectors via a common source (fuel rail). Now, the DP31 is actually installed in a series connection situation so signaling is actually running through this style of DPChip.

The DPChip DP31 is programmed to read the vehicles ECU signals and determine the engines present operating conditions. The DPChip DP31 makes changes to TWO areas; 1 area altered due to the DPChip is the injector start of injection (timing) and duration of time the injector is open (fuel volume) and the 2nd area altered by the DPChip being fuel rail pressure (fuel volume). These 3 points are altered by the DPChip through Digital signal changes and Voltage changes. This differentiates the DPChip DP31 from European Chips that are either altering fuel rail pressure only for more fuel volume, or by holding the injector open longer for more fuel volume! Not very efficient in any terms.

..sweet torquin' diesel!

Last edited by QLD; 10-14-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
Only for the 335d/535d/X6 35d etc...

20d requires a reflash

30d is outta luck as the DME is yet to be cracked
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post
I have read those posts

The car is a MY10/11 (November)

I have been speaking with Brendon from Superchips in Sydney as I was enquiring to have my bluefin readapted to my BMW. After checking everything he said it would be some time before they can do it, and even an evasive ECU flash will be quite a complex job.

I'm not a big fan of 'semi-permanent' flashes. The bluefin is beautiful as I can always 'unflash' the car whenever I go in for a service etc. So whilst the bluefin is not available - and my personal paranoia about getting a physical, invasive and 'no coming back' ECU flash I decided to look into the interceptor boxes.
The support for bluefin is very minimal, 05-07.
Newer model have harder ecu and its not likely any time soon they will crack for bluefin so totally forget bluefin.

The only way is to take your ECU out from your car and pin it with multipal needles then send your info back to UK, wait for them to send back the tune then flash the chip into your ECU. I wouldn't let anyone else do it but Peter whos been doing it for 20years+

Life is give or take, if you want performance you will have to sacrifice insurance. (in our case)
We don't have a plug and play for our cars like Jb4 or Proceed so you really have to make your own decision.

Quote:
bmroxm5 is right,
jbd only works for N52 which is 3.5d where as 2.0 use n47.

Though for 3.0d, Samchung superchiped his?
"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
If I was to get mine done I would go the ECU Flash route... however, I do share your concerns about a 'semi-permanent' flash that you have no direct control over.

On the road you are now contemplating travelling... this would be my personal 'plan B' attack if I were you...

http://www.dpchip.com/cars.html
Trust me, superchip taking your ecu out is the only way for anything passed late 08.

I tried autologic, called few other ones who said they work but end up saying only work for pre lci.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
luster
Major
Rep

I can't sacrifice warranty and insurance. My wife drives it more than me on some weeks!

This is the unit I purchased: http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/...ails.php?id=10

Quote:
Unlike our other common rail modules, GREEN, RED, CRD2, that only connect to the common rail pressure sensor, the new CRD-T also connects to the turbo pressure sensor, allowing us to control and increase the boost settings. This results in an even smoother power delivery, and even lower emissions and even more power and torque.
I choose this over DP and DTE et. al. as it also connects to turbo pressure sensor allowing modification of the boost settings. Additionally, as it has multiple maps and can be easily changed for +/- 10, 20, 30% above or below the map - i thought it is the NEXT BEST THING to the bluefin.

Should be here next week!

Last edited by luster; 10-15-2011 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwithonehand View Post
Life is give or take, if you want performance you will have to sacrifice insurance. (in our case)
We don't have a plug and play for our cars like Jb4 or Proceed so you really have to make your own decision.
If I feel a big difference, would you be up for meeting up to see just how much the difference is between our cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
QLD
Captain
Rep

Will be VERY interested in your feedback... that is some insane power increase figures.

By normal thinking (and other reports on the net).... those power figures should near break your auto-transmission..... way too much power and torque for a stock Steptronic TC.... Please keep us updated..

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/...tage-2-(crd-t)

..sweet torquin' diesel!

Last edited by QLD; 10-15-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:
those power figures should near break your auto-transmission

Another good reason to keep factory warranty in-tact
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
luster
Major
Rep

Here are the numbers:

CAR: 320 D E90 184 PS

POWER
STOCK: 181 BHP

DIESEL TUNED: 212 BHP (31 increase)
SUPERCHIPS ECU: 216 BHP (35 increase)

TORQUE
STOCK: 380 Nm

DIESEL TUNED: 475 Nm (95 increase)
SUPERCHIPS ECU BHP: 454 Nm (74)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

I thought the current 6 AT box was rated for 650nms.

I would like to see the rating for the dct if anyone knows
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
QLD
Captain
Rep

The 320d box is rated at max 400nm.

However, there are some reports that this box was upgraded in 2007 to 450nm and given a new name by ZF of 6HP21 - however in bmw's it is still marked as 6HP19... which has the lower 400nm rating.... so who f**king really knows..???

What we do know is that if you get a factory performance kit, which increases torque to only 410nm.... you get a bigger intercooler and more importantly - a bigger heavy duty Torque Converter...?

Some people on various forum report no issues with ecu upgrades pushing 450nm... while others say that anything over 420nm (over time).... caused the tranny to shudder between shifts, and/or, shift roughly/violently..... or in some cases under hard accelleration, not want to shift between 1st and 2nd.

I'd say if you are only keeping your NEW car for 2 or 3 yrs maybe all will be fine in that period... but after that... who knows?

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #16
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post
If I feel a big difference, would you be up for meeting up to see just how much the difference is between our cars?
Interesting, hope to work mate.
Where about are you at Sydney?
I would love to meet up with ya to look at that tune. Difference is day and night trust me.
If those number you put add up, you might just be slightly faster than me since you got 7hp/30nm more than me at stock.

But i have intake & muffler delete, see how we go

Quote:
I thought the current 6 AT box was rated for 650nms.

I would like to see the rating for the dct if anyone knows
QLD is right, 320d uses GA6HP19Z and max tolerate is 400nm.
So you are just increasing the wear and tear of your gear box but on the bright side is you really only achieve the 450 supposedly peak torque on third gear flooring hard which can't be achieve every single time you drive unless if you perfect it.

IE: i had to experiment couple of months before i get the hang of peak torque/power.

Also in my opinion about GA6HP19Z, it's design for 400nm but 10% extra torque isn't that much of tolerance.

Last edited by playwithonehand; 10-16-2011 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
luster
Major
Rep

It Has Arrived!

So I dropped into work today to find my unit had arrived!

Opening the box you have the tuner box, a cable and a 'bridging plug'. (The bridging plug allows you to go back to stock without removing all the cables, it bridges the cables back together.

INSTALLATION
The installation is deceptively easy. You remove the boost pressure plug, and replace it with the tuner unit's plug and the original sensor cable into the other side of the Y connector.

Next, you remove rail pressure plug and do the same as above.

Mounting the box is also easy, I put mine to the left of the engine bay, on the wheel bay. I will fix it properly tomorrow.

FIRST RUN
The first run showed ALOT of power and no real flat spots. I couldn't keep the wheels from spinning - I guess this is from the stock runflats (need to change them soon!)

No engine lights came on, the engine sounded almost the same, but a little more smoke than usual came from the exhaust.

SECOND RUN
As the first didn't feel like the car was even trying, I then changed the jumper on the tuner box to +30%, so this would be program 1 plus 30%.

This run was alot faster, but again, I couldn't keep any traction.

I will need much stickier tyres to get the most of the diesel tuner system.

THOUGHTS
As a removable system, I think its great. It's a little disappointing when you open the unit and find such simple electronics, but then again, if you ever open a bluefin you can feel similar.

The $550+ I spent on it, in my opinion, is worth it.

Apparently these things can save you fuel, but I will never measure it, nor do I really care. Heck, I haven't even used a full tank since I bought the car, so I have nfi even what the current mpg would be

I'm not a huge car nut, so I can't really explain it in much more technical detail or give results of a dyno test, or even explain exactly how it felt.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
QLD
Captain
Rep

Congrats my friend - sounds sensational!!

I'm assuming the smoke is because you have manually tweaked the jumpers to max 30% power.

Would be curious how each of the maps feel on standard settings... and if no smoke (like they advertise)..

Tranny feel smooth?? what about in D/S mode driven hard?

Would be great to see a pic of where you end up mounting it in the engine bay..

Look forward to updates over coming days as you come to feel and experience with each different map, and you post your thoughts...

Cheers mate..

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #19
luster
Major
Rep

AND NOW SOME PICS!

(Sorry about the dirty rims)

This is an overview of the engine with the box installed (albeit temporarily). Once I find my preferred map, I will mount the box properly and without the wires 'exposed' (side mount).

As you can see the tuning kit cable running to the left of the engine.

Y connector connected to the rail sensor. This is in the middle of the engine bay, under a heat pad.

With the heat pad back in place

Boost Pressure Sensor (installed)

This is my temporary install, I will just turn it around and mount it (so the wire terminals aren't exposed) once I find the best map for me.

Fully installed

Last edited by luster; 10-22-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #20
QLD
Captain
Rep

btw: if anyone is interested in buying one of these - be sure to get your E90 Forum discount code and save 80 pounds + then have VAT deleted... so all up you get about 130 pounds off the price... which is a sweet deal

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...19&postcount=1

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #21
QLD
Captain
Rep

Great write up and pics... many thx br0

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #22
luster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Tranny feel smooth?? what about in D/S mode driven hard?
thus far, only driven around my 50km/h area (got to about 120km/h tho). From a dead stop, the power is crazy - and the revs do get high between gear shifts which is great.

There is no obvious clunking, gear shifting, stuttering or 'scary sounds' with the unit installed. Suprisingly.

I only drive it in DS mode

The car did have a bit of an odour to it when I got back, but i think it is from burnt rubber.
Appreciate 0