E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Extra 15-20 WHP

07-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
tIANCi
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: E90 325 LCI

Extra 15-20 WHP

Hi guys ... I need some assistance here. I drive an E90 325i 2.5l. Much has been said about squeezing some extra ponies out of the N52B25 engine. I have seen that many remaps can get another 15-18 hp out of this engine. My question is what sort of difference does 15-18 hp make on a 3,300 lbs car?

I am not expecting a reduction of 0-60 times by seconds but am curious to know if one will even really feel the 15 extra ponies when say overtaking on the highway or when going up some canyon roads? Guess, I am thinking about how much can be felt through the butt-o-meter. Thanks!
      07-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tIANCi View Post
Hi guys ... I need some assistance here. I drive an E90 325i 2.5l. Much has been said about squeezing some extra ponies out of the N52B25 engine. I have seen that many remaps can get another 15-18 hp out of this engine. My question is what sort of difference does 15-18 hp make on a 3,300 lbs car?

I am not expecting a reduction of 0-60 times by seconds but am curious to know if one will even really feel the 15 extra ponies when say overtaking on the highway or when going up some canyon roads? Guess, I am thinking about how much can be felt through the butt-o-meter. Thanks!
I have the AA tune on a 328i. From what I can feel, there is a noticeable improvement starting around 3k rpm. It's not overwhelming, but good enough to convince you you're not imagining things.
AA tune (maybe others too) remap throttle, which makes steptronic feel more responsive at lower speeds. Not sure if this feature matters at all for manuals(?)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
I have the AA tune on a 328i. From what I can feel, there is a noticeable improvement starting around 3k rpm. It's not overwhelming, but good enough to convince you you're not imagining things.
AA tune (maybe others too) remap throttle, which makes steptronic feel more responsive at lower speeds. Not sure if this feature matters at all for manuals(?)
I have the BMS powerbox on my 6speed 328xi and i can totally feel the throttle remapping, it definately makes a difference. Much more snappier of a response, although the 100% remaping is a little excessive (especially in terms of gas consumption) but I find the 30% remapping is just enough to feel a pretty decient improvement.
      07-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

With the auto trans, I like the 60% map (map 2 and 5).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tIANCi View Post

You will feel some more "readyness" of the car and some more "grunch" at higher speed.

But i don't know if it is really worth it... (cost, warrenty,...)
      07-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Well I also hear that deleting all of the cats on your car makes around 15 hp and a 10+ tq. Add that with an intake and a PBX = gold. I drive the canyons alot and i noticed alot more response but for the torque to build up, you'd need a good exhaust that still builds back pressure. AA and eurocharged would be my first options for an actual ecu flash. PBX is hands down the best piggyback system
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

can't stress leaving the stock muffler in place enough when removing cats. I deleted secondary cats with an aftermarket larger diameter exhaust and actually lost power. Remove both cats and leave stock muffler/resonator in place and tune. Should be good for 20-30whp. Don't know what it will sound like though.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Maple I saw your thread earlier, it's terrible that you lost so much power. On our 2.5L cars you have to be careful with doing the custom piping, cause once you do you will be travelling much slower than you use to be stock...

Bigger piping only works with cars that are turbo charged, with our oem system I would recommend deleting the secondary cats only and using an x-pipe if you are still keeping your factory cats.

If you ever wondered, I have my factory cats on still.
But with the cat's removed... we were looking at a 10-15whp gain with the OEM muffler, resonator and secondary cats in place.

But most importantly is truly finding a real tune for these cars... Most tune makers are not even properly optimizing the potential of our N52 engines.
What you can do is basically flash your car with the european 323/2.5L N52 tune and get around 215HP stock, but beware your car will throw engine lights cause we have more restrictive cats here in NA.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
Maple I saw your thread earlier, it's terrible that you lost so much power. On our 2.5L cars you have to be careful with doing the custom piping, cause once you do you will be travelling much slower than you use to be stock...

Bigger piping only works with cars that are turbo charged, with our oem system I would recommend deleting the secondary cats only and using an x-pipe if you are still keeping your factory cats.

If you ever wondered, I have my factory cats on still.
But with the cat's removed... we were looking at a 10-15whp gain with the OEM muffler, resonator and secondary cats in place.

But most importantly is truly finding a real tune for these cars... Most tune makers are not even properly optimizing the potential of our N52 engines.
What you can do is basically flash your car with the european 323/2.5L N52 tune and get around 215HP stock, but beware your car will throw engine lights cause we have more restrictive cats here in NA.
I am looking to use the bms downpipe fix when I eventually delete my main cats. Right now, it looks like I need to throw my stock exhaust back on. I am looking for squeezing every last HP out of my car. I hope deleting main and secondary cats on the stock system would do that. I don't know who does euro tuning but AA seems like the best option locally.

I was basing my engine on your baseline dyno but it appears I have the lower output model with 30bhp less. What a shot in the nuts.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
tIANCi
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: E90 325 LCI

Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate it ...
      07-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
danielh1018
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 323i

Quote:
So did the AA tune stage2 fully utilize the 2.5L N52 power ?
Dimsum, Did you try that or any best candidate ?
I tried another tuner - DT before, but I can't feel too much acceleration difference. Just a better throttle response with little lowend torque gain.
My car is Euro 323i, and I installed Euro performance intake with stock exhaust, and I wonder to install Eisenmann middle and exhaust. Some friends said it only for sound, but others said it rev faster. (not accelerate fast

I'm thinking another way to extend the upshift time for automatic gearbox and enjoy more highend power. I hope tune the EGS to extend the upshift rev to 7200rpm? Dinan seems have solution for E46, but not E90.... Is there any tuner can do that ?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielh1018 View Post
So did the AA tune stage2 fully utilize the 2.5L N52 power ?
Dimsum, Did you try that or any best candidate ?
I tried another tuner - DT before, but I can't feel too much acceleration difference. Just a better throttle response with little lowend torque gain.
My car is Euro 323i, and I installed Euro performance intake with stock exhaust, and I wonder to install Eisenmann middle and exhaust. Some friends said it only for sound, but others said it rev faster. (not accelerate fast

I'm thinking another way to extend the upshift time for automatic gearbox and enjoy more highend power. I hope tune the EGS to extend the upshift rev to 7200rpm? Dinan seems have solution for E46, but not E90.... Is there any tuner can do that ?
Hmm.. In taiwan the 323i should be very fast already! the roads are short and the traffic is terrible in taipei. I do not have the AA tune on my car I just have a euro base map and a bms powerbox. Have done stock intake with charcoal delete and scoops. To be honest, it's quite fast!

Oh don't do exhaust, that is one thing I've learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I am looking to use the bms downpipe fix when I eventually delete my main cats. Right now, it looks like I need to throw my stock exhaust back on. I am looking for squeezing every last HP out of my car. I hope deleting main and secondary cats on the stock system would do that. I don't know who does euro tuning but AA seems like the best option locally.

I was basing my engine on your baseline dyno but it appears I have the lower output model with 30bhp less. What a shot in the nuts.
To be honest it all depends on the dyno you use, but 30hp off sounds pretty terrible. If you have a 07 you should have the 200HP output engine. Do you have the factory third stage intake? Some 323i's don't and some do... It's weird.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:

To be honest it all depends on the dyno you use, but 30hp off sounds pretty terrible. If you have a 07 you should have the 200HP output engine. Do you have the factory third stage intake? Some 323i's don't and some do... It's weird.
I will have to take a physical look. When I check realoem my car is supposed to have one. I thought all 07's had the 200bhp engine but I got conflicting specs based on the websites I searched. Its pretty depressing.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

I checked visually and I have the 3 stage manifold. Where did you get the euro flash?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I checked visually and I have the 3 stage manifold. Where did you get the euro flash?
Would have to tell you through pm but unfortunately I do not have pm functionality
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #16
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Would have to tell you through pm but unfortunately I do not have pm functionality
my number is six oh four four four zero three zero five one. txt me if you don't mind.

I meant to ask. Your dyno of catless headers, was that before or after a tune?
Appreciate 0