E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320D E90 Outside temp gone bad, not the sensor

02-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #23
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Glad you now have it sorted, from what you've posted above, that would have ticked me of also
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #24
robocog
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

UPDATE!
Clocks (old and new) and CAS arrived back today
Luckily I finished work a little earlier than normal (only about 20 mins...but daylight is daylight!) - so gave me chance to fit the CAS and new gauge

I put the freshly charged battery back in the car and handed the Mrs the keys - told her to start it, which she did
Loads of stuff going on with the dash, quite a lot of lights lit up, but the rpm and fuel economy and fuel gauge - nothing

I was a little shaky that the situation was bad, but decided to drive the car round the block a few times (still in my motorbike gear- apart from lid and gloves obviously)
The warning lights all went out after some driving at different speeds
BUT still no fuel gauge/rpm or economy meter

Googled it - and luckily I bought that programming cable eh!
Loaded up INPA and crossed my fingers that the cable worked and that I had followed the installation tutorial correctly

Got both "dots" to go black, light on the OBD connector
Loaded up NCSExpert, loaded the expert mode profile
Followed this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524773

and got the needles moving! YAY!
Took it for a spin round the block a few more times - all seems to be back to its normal working conditions (and no wild temp readings or pings!)
Still got a tamper dot - but was assured it would go out after driving about 20 - 30 miles

Mrs has taken nipper to Cubs in it - not had a call to say that I need to mount the motorbike and get pushing it back home - so fingers crossed....

I did take an error memory reading (after clearing it...I think) and printed it out
Got a few codes to work through
DME/DDE
4992 - data KOMBI stat?
4222 - Glow Plug Cyl2?
4242 - Glow plug Cyl4?
49a2 - Outside air temp?

Kombi
454a - SOS Inactive Warning?
9317 - Only references I have found due to old DATEN?

Will wait for the tamper dot to go away and have another go at clearing them and take another reading as I /think/ a couple of those may be related to the tamper dot

Maybe I didn't clear the messages properly before taking these ?
(I'm still VERY new to all this - so could well be doing it wrong!)

Will have another go and report back when I have the car and daylight and am less shattered from a days work

Regards
Rob

Last edited by robocog; 02-07-2018 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Typos.....the ususal
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
robocog
Rep

Just looking at the error memory I printed off INPA...and I am getting very confused

scope says all control module
Quantity 16
Job status OKAY

ADR Gen name JobStatus
92 VIRTSG92 ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED (do I need to worry about this?)

then it lists 15 modules

of which I have MASK/CCC listed
(car is not idrive and is not fancy )
the module reports it is OKAY and has no errors stored - so this has me confused
the car has a radio CD player, but no nav or bluetooth or anything (as far as I am aware!)
Should I have this module? (maybe they all do?)

Please bear in mind the CAS got sent with the gauges for the mileage programming and this is the first time it has been code read by myself - and I am VERY new to this so maybe I have the wrong end of the stick

KOMBI A54A code - SOS call system fail - is playing on my mind and wonder if it maybe does have (or did?) something more fancy installed and this is a hangover from that?

If the module is replying 'OKAY' and 'no errors stored', then I guess it must mean I physically have the module?
Is this right?

Regards
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
robocog
Rep

Clocks tamper dot disappeared today after a long ish journey
All faults cleared using inpa

Only the
4222 - Glow Plug Cyl2
4242 - Glow plug Cyl4
remain from the original list

and the aux water pump fail code came back ...bah

so glow plugs and aux water pump will get tackled when I get time
aux pump seems inexpensive 2nd hand but looks a bit of a faff to fit
glow plugs - will definitely farm that one out as I am likely to make a mess

Will keep my eye out for errors now I have the tools to check

All happy and smiles from the Mrs (...at least relating to her car)

Shout me if you need the contact number for the guy that did the KOMBI/CAS coding for marrying the clocks to the car, can't fault the service and was not expensive at all and kept me in the loop the whole time

Regards
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
robocog
Rep

Glow plugs arrived - along with the swirl flap delete kit and gaskets and a second hand aux water pump

Got the water pump for £10 delivered (and sold as working) - of course when it turned up I hooked it up to 12v and it did nothing (I didn't expect it to TBH)

Popped a multimeter across the pins - and it is reading in the megohm area
Opened it up and the commutator is just a solid black ring and the brushes are worn away to nothing (as I had suspected)

I ordered some 5mmx5mmx12mm brushes from ebay (£3)
Fitted them (after giving the unit a bit of a clean out and polishing the commutator) and it now purrs (quietly) like a kitten and doesn't half shift some water! - emptied the washing up bowl in seconds...wasn't expecting it to be quite that powerful!

Tested it on the car today (just to the loom , not plumbed in)- and it seems to only come on with the car running
(I thought they were supposed to spin when the key was in regardless of if the motor was running....meh- maybe it is temperature based?)

I am planning on removing the inlet and EGR and fitting the glow plugs and water pump in one go- and possibly fitting a second hand inlet (after de flapping and blanking it) and EGR so I can pre clean them before starting the job so the Mrs is not without her car whilst I try and clean the original ones (I cannot say how long the process will take and don't want to leave her without a car again!)

Looking at inlet manifolds it /looks/ like all the 320d manifolds - from E46 to E90 - are the same?
I am having a little difficulty in trying to find exactly which engine ours has
some places say N47, some say N47N2
I also don't know which power our engine has - or its exact cc

The EGR seems to have a couple of variants as well
I guess I need to take the cover off the engine and get digging to see if I can suss out which manifold and EGR I need to get
(hoping the stickers or casting / moulding marks are visible without removal)

Please chime in with anything that may help
(inlet and EGR compatibility or how to truly find out the proper engine code and CC of ours)

Looked at real oem and using the vin number to identify the car it claims the engine is an M47N2 and the inlet is part number 11617800579 for this car
(it also says the car is a VC32, where another site claims it is a VC31, so I am getting less convinced about the VIN number returning the right info for parts)

On eBay there are others for the E90 320d that have a part number of 7795393 and some with 7787318 - are they ALL the same?

Is there a way of getting INPA to show exactly which engine is in the car?
(or even Rheingold?)

Regards
Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #28
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Hi Rob, glad you got the instrument cluster sorted.
You might do better with answers to start a new thread with questions about manifolds and EGR as these are off topic for this one.
Appreciate 0