E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > How to bypass Logic 7 All together

10-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

How to bypass Logic 7 All together

I have a 2008 E92 with the logic 7 amp and surround sound, Its awful.

Option package 677 order code.

I want to bypass and get a clean output to aftermarket amps and speakers. I do want to maintain the volume control from the headunit/steering wheel so that eliminates some options.

What is the best or proper tool do complete this task. I do intend on eliminating all but the door speakers and run a crossover in the door, and some subwoofers in the trunk. I think with the right components and only 6 speakers I can overcome this crap of a sound system.

What can I get to just get a full range signal from the headunit.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Two options:

1) mobridge DA-1 (optical) or DA-2 (rca) da converter ~$700 but very high quality
2) recode to HiFi, changing outputs from optical to low level (rca compatible) at the head unit. You eill need a technic harness for this route

3rd option would be to process the signal after the amp, clean it, and run it into a new amp but i dont recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Aftermarket headunit or code the stock one to hifi.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Looks like option 2 would be best as its already the line level instead of forcing it. This would give me full range output correct not something that still needs to be processed to get a full range signal?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
Looks like option 2 would be best as its already the line level instead of forcing it. This would give me full range output correct not something that still needs to be processed to get a full range signal?
Correct,

IMO option 1 is "Best," but likely more expensive.

YMMV with option 2, if you look at my posts regarding defective OEM HU from 2009-14; there are a fair number of them with noise floor issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Correct,

IMO option 1 is "Best," but likely more expensive.

YMMV with option 2, if you look at my posts regarding defective OEM HU from 2009-14; there are a fair number of them with noise floor issues.

Price has no bearing over quality. If I plan to spend upward of $1000 on door components I dont want to have a cheap system in between making the sound worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Its all relative, but I think option 1 is what you want then:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...ls/m1000-m-da2
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643550
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Ooh I want that! Now to find one, I guess an email to Technic and VP is warranted

Last edited by WilliamS; 10-21-2014 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Yes, you want the DA-2 for a clean signal to the amps, while keeping the stock head unit. What is your budget?

DA-2 is around 600-700 (send a PM to 6spdcoupe, he is a dealer)
4 channel amp 200-500 (depending on brand and quality)
Mono amp 200-500 (ditto)
Subwoofer & enclosure 300 - 1000
Front components 200 - 800

As far as the underseat woofers, I'd recommend to leave in the L7 ones, they are quite good qhwn bandpassed and used as mid bass only.

I would also HIGHLY recommend a sound processor, if you car about the music sounding half way decent. About 500 - 800 for that.
      10-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Yes, you want the DA-2 for a clean signal to the amps, while keeping the stock head unit. What is your budget?

DA-2 is around 600-700 (send a PM to 6spdcoupe, he is a dealer)
4 channel amp 200-500 (depending on brand and quality)
Mono amp 200-500 (ditto)
Subwoofer & enclosure 300 - 1000
Front components 200 - 800

As far as the underseat woofers, I'd recommend to leave in the L7 ones, they are quite good qhwn bandpassed and used as mid bass only.

I would also HIGHLY recommend a sound processor, if you car about the music sounding half way decent. About 500 - 800 for that.
Do you have one, as the online user guide is 4 pages of fluff. It states a 31 band EQ but I do not see how its utilized or if it can be adjusted for each set of outputs. Like you said bandpass the underseat woofers and Ill only be running door speakers. I already have the subwoofers, nothing like 2 12" infinitys. Warm and smooth. Its been so long since I have been into HIFI but this car with logic 7 I cant help but notice how awful the stock amp really hates quality sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have one, as the online user guide is 4 pages of fluff. It states a 31 band EQ but I do not see how its utilized or if it can be adjusted for each set of outputs. Like you said bandpass the underseat woofers and Ill only be running door speakers. I already have the subwoofers, nothing like 2 12" infinitys. Warm and smooth. Its been so long since I have been into HIFI but this car with logic 7 I cant help but notice how awful the stock amp really hates quality sound.
You can only use the 7-band EQ in the head unit in combination with the DA-2. That EQ is worthless.

I also have two 12" Infinity Perfects in my garage. I can't use them in my car, the trunk is a total bass trap. If you insist on using those subs, my recommendation would be to build a sealed or ported enclosure and fire the subs through the ski pass. Make sure you seal the front baffle of the box such that the front waves cannot get into the trunk. Search for BMW325i's set-up.

Other option is to go infinite baffle, again firing through the ski-pass. This is what I did and it is by far the best solution when you consider the small amount of trunk space it uses and the absolutely wonderful sound you get with the right subwoofer.
      10-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can only use the 7-band EQ in the head unit in combination with the DA-2. That EQ is worthless.

I also have two 12" Infinity Perfects in my garage. I can't use them in my car, the trunk is a total bass trap. If you insist on using those subs, my recommendation would be to build a sealed or ported enclosure and fire the subs through the ski pass. Make sure you seal the front baffle of the box such that the front waves cannot get into the trunk. Search for BMW325i's set-up.

Other option is to go infinite baffle, again firing through the ski-pass. This is what I did and it is by far the best solution when you consider the small amount of trunk space it uses and the absolutely wonderful sound you get with the right subwoofer.
They are in a sealed enclosure already. They will be walled in an IB setup in the next few months firing into the cabin. Ive always loved infinity and I know how they sound in IB and I cant wait to get them setup.

So I will need an external processor to really narrow down the frequencies to each channel with any kind of detail. Im on it. Nothing new to me, just have to dig up old memories.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS
Quote:

They are in a sealed enclosure already. They will be walled in an IB setup in the next few months firing into the cabin. Ive always loved infinity and I know how they sound in IB and I cant wait to get them setup.

So I will need an external processor to really narrow down the frequencies to each channel with any kind of detail. Im on it. Nothing new to me, just have to dig up old memories.
I have the Perfect VQs, I tried them IB but didn't like them too much. A single IDMax on the other hand made all the difference!
      10-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #14
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

IDMax has always cornered the IB market.

Looking at your Sig, I assume the MS8 is sound processor duty, I do not like the extra volume knob. Is it needed in this type of setup or because it is full range without needed to change the curves introduced by the stock amp can you use the headunits volume control.

If im not mistaken you do not need it in your application because you are removing the processing before the MS8 not using it to level everything out correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

i turned of the logic 7 setting all together in general sounds much better and adjusted the EQ from the sticky...hate the surround music

down the road i will do option 1
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS

Looking at your Sig, I assume the MS8 is sound processor duty, I do not like the extra volume knob. Is it needed in this type of setup or because it is full range without needed to change the curves introduced by the stock amp can you use the headunits volume control.

If im not mistaken you do not need it in your application because you are removing the processing before the MS8 not using it to level everything out correct?
Ms-8 remote and display is almost always just 'optional'. Though it didnt take me long to realize i wanted it to tinker with, even though i had planned to set & forget
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Whats wrong with option 2? Recoded mine to hifi and using a rockford 4 channel for surround speakers & a single channel for underseats.

Used 9 conductor from the headunit to rca for input to the amps & remote.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-FT-18-AWG...482ee2&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #18
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

I did the recode to HiFi too. Very happy with the results
e90 jet black on terra//pure stage 2//fuel-it stage 3 lpfp & pi w. return//motiv tuned//vrsf dps//vtt inlets & outlets//helix fmic // er w. hks bov // bms dcis // spec stage 3+ w. mfactory smfw // cdv delete // clutch stopper // kw v1 // m3 control arms // whiteline fsb // cic|combox|backup camera retrofit // m3 headliner retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Removing processing of the OEM HU is only one function of a processor. A flat input signal is the prerequisite for a great sounding system. In my case, the DA-2 gives me a flat signal but if I did not have the processor, it would sound like shit. I am convinced that you need a digital processor to make a sound system reproduce the music the same way it was recorded, or the way it was intended to sound by the recording engineer. For example, most music is recorded with the singer appearing in the middle of the sound stage, and the instruments spread around the stage as they would be during a live concert, or as they were positioned in the recording studio. Without processing, it is not possible to duplicate the staging and imaging of the original recording. In your Logic 7 system, try to find the location of the singer. In most recordings, you will find them close to the left tweeter location, hardly in the center of the sound stage. And keep in mind, this is already the "upgraded top level" sound system. Some people would say "so what, I just want it to be loud and clear", but most people who have auditioned a properly set-up audio system for the first time will agree that it sounds a heck of a lot better like that, and more realistic. The processor will also allow you to shape the system response with the EQ, which almost always provides 31-bands of adjustability. The MS-8 is unique because it contains a sophisticated auto-tuning algorithm, which allows people who know nothing about tuning to have a well-tuned system that sounds 1000% better than what they could have done on their own, or what it would have sounded like without the processor.
      10-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Removing processing of the OEM HU is only one function of a processor. A flat input signal is the prerequisite for a great sounding system. In my case, the DA-2 gives me a flat signal but if I did not have the processor, it would sound like shit. I am convinced that you need a digital processor to make a sound system reproduce the music the same way it was recorded, or the way it was intended to sound by the recording engineer. For example, most music is recorded with the singer appearing in the middle of the sound stage, and the instruments spread around the stage as they would be during a live concert, or as they were positioned in the recording studio. Without processing, it is not possible to duplicate the staging and imaging of the original recording. In your Logic 7 system, try to find the location of the singer. In most recordings, you will find them close to the left tweeter location, hardly in the center of the sound stage. And keep in mind, this is already the "upgraded top level" sound system. Some people would say "so what, I just want it to be loud and clear", but most people who have auditioned a properly set-up audio system for the first time will agree that it sounds a heck of a lot better like that, and more realistic. The processor will also allow you to shape the system response with the EQ, which almost always provides 31-bands of adjustability. The MS-8 is unique because it contains a sophisticated auto-tuning algorithm, which allows people who know nothing about tuning to have a well-tuned system that sounds 1000% better than what they could have done on their own, or what it would have sounded like without the processor.
I understand completly, Im the sound engineer for our church. Its my job to make all the people who think they have talent sound like they have talent. Between overcoming monitors, ground level noise issues, and of course overcoming mics that have crazy sound curves its all a lot of fun. I love my mixer, it is my favorite thing to do when Im not at work. Even more when I get to remaster the audio at home. Thank the lord for multi track output recording. The logic 7 is as garbage to me as a bose home audio system. Anyone with a good ear would agree, those who do not think bose is the god of all audio systems, I dont need that input.

The MS8 just seemed like it was good at taking a signal from a stock headunit and cleaning up the sound curve removing all the eq garbage, and what scared me about it was the volume control as you are suppose to setup based on the volume on the headunit staying at one set level defeating the stereo and steering wheel control.

There are some great sound processors out there. Heck in the 1999 Ive scored perfect SQ many a times with only a 11 band eq and 5 speakers. 2 5.25's, 2 1", and 1 10".

I just need to know the best way to get a full range single from the headunit, it would look like the MOS2 would do exactly what Im looking for without the need to tinker with it. The recode would do it as well, but Im curious if i do that I need to leave the logic 7 amp to keep the link between the rest of the audio system. If I have to have it in there, the MOS2 it is, if not then I can recode and get a good processor.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #21
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Kaigoss,

Have you had or are you aware of any others who have had any problems with the Mobridge DA? There is a new alternative on the market made by Audison (see attached data sheet). I found out about this from my local car audio shop who recommended it over the Mobridge DA-2. According to the regional Audison rep (who also represents Mobridge), Audison developed this product not so they could compete with Mobridge, but out of necessity as they were reliant upon the Mobridge DA to make their amps work in cars w/ MOST interfaces, and were running into problems with the Mobridge units (not sure what type of problems). Supposedly the Audison Bit DMI resolved whatever sort of problems they were having and is being touted to me as a superior product. Details are lacking, however. I'm getting ready to upgrade my car's HK audio system - any insight into problems or limitations with the Mobridge DA-2 would be welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Audison Bit DMI.pdf (506.5 KB, 232 views)
Appreciate 0