E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The not so fun parts of the N54

05-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #133
sovende96
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vereak82
My serpentine belt just let go on the highway and tore up my front crank seal also after wrapping around the crank pulley... Oil everywhere son of ahhhh!
Same thing happened here a few weeks ago... The crank seal is a b**ch to fix. Much harder than just replacing the belt. My old seal was torn to shreds... Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #134
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I told him it's either bad front O2's or damaged ringland/cracked pistons. Told him to get a compression test too. He hasn't listened and was dead set on it being carbon buildup when I told him it wasn't. I was right
It being carbon buildup wasn't my idea and I was definitely not dead set on it being that... Also I tried getting a compression test but shop didn't have enough time. Next time it's there it will be tested. Really doubt its something internal though because I think in that case the car would be fucked on stock mapping and map 2. Car felt perfectly fine on stock mapping last week. If it's o2's it's definitely not front o2's... Only codes i've gotten are for rear o2's and while at Autocouture they were reading the o2's and only 1 was acting strange as I said earlier and that was one of the rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010 View Post
+1. could be e85 related, no? like a lean spike that damaged a piston? maybe get a compression test
I hope not. Compression test is the plan next time it's in the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I would try straight 93 to remove that variable.
I once i'm on empty. I'm sure it will still hesitate probably just not throw codes like it is on map 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vereak82 View Post
My serpentine belt just let go on the highway and tore up my front crank seal also after wrapping around the crank pulley... Oil everywhere son of ahhhh!
Damn that sucks
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #135
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

So have you tried removing the tuner completely and seen if it still happens?
      05-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #136
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
So have you tried removing the tuner completely and seen if it still happens?
Yea I had it with JB4 out last week and no misfires as far as I could tell. I expected that though, stock boost is not much at all so I didn't expect the car to misfire
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #137
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
It being carbon buildup wasn't my idea and I was definitely not dead set on it being that... Also I tried getting a compression test but shop didn't have enough time. Next time it's there it will be tested. Really doubt its something internal though because I think in that case the car would be fucked on stock mapping and map 2. Car felt perfectly fine on stock mapping last week. If it's o2's it's definitely not front o2's... Only codes i've gotten are for rear o2's and while at Autocouture they were reading the o2's and only 1 was acting strange as I said earlier and that was one of the rears.

That's the code you posted a few pages back in regards to the O2 sensors. This is the PRE-CAT Lambda O2, along with "trimm control" meaning your DME is altering your AFR. Remember fueling on the N54 is closed loop.

What makes you think it's a post-cat code? It isn't. And don't doubt something internally is wrong, it's very possible looking at your log you posted with AFR's lean spiking in the 16-17 ranges at WOT. Get a compression test as soon as you can to rule it out at the minimum.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #138
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's the code you posted a few pages back in regards to the O2 sensors. This is the PRE-CAT Lambda O2, along with "trimm control" meaning your DME is altering AFR ratios, to account for something out of the norm. Remember fueling on the N54 is closed loop.

What makes you think it's a post-cat code? It isn't. And don't doubt something internally is wrong, it's very possible looking at your log you posted with AFR's lean spiking in the 16-17 ranges at WOT. get a compression test as soon as you can to rule it out.
I thought it was post-cat since the code says "Behind Catalytic Converter"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #139
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I thought it was post-cat since the code says "Behind Catalytic Converter"
"Behind Catalytic Converter" is your lambda(AFR) front O2 sensor. If it said "After Catalytic Converter" that would be your rear O2's. It doesn't even make sense reading it to yourself, if "after" were your lambda O2's.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #140
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Behind Catalytic Converter" is your lambda(AFR) front O2 sensor. If it said "After Catalytic Converter" that would be your rear O2's. It doesn't even make sense reading it to yourself, if "after" were your lambda O2's.
Are you sure? After googling the code some guy had a bunch of cat codes and one read "Lambda probe in front of catalytic converter" then he had the codes I have "behind catalytic converter". Terry also said it was codes for my rears...

Here's the link:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236969
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #141
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure? After googling the code some guy had a bunch of cat codes and one read "Lambda probe in front of catalytic converter" then he had the codes I have "behind catalytic converter". Terry also said it was codes for my rears...

Here's the link:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236969
You originally said your codes were from having catless downpipes. How could this be the case when the code is only in one bank? "Downpipe codes" are 29F4 and 29F5 respective to the banks.

To adress the above, read that thread. It states exactly what I just told you.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #142
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You originally said your codes were from having catless downpipes. How could this be the case when the code is only in one bank? "Downpipe codes" are 29F4 and 29F5 respective to the banks.

To adress the above, read that thread. It states exactly what I just told you.
29F4 and 29F5 are the codes I got in the first picture and why I said they were from having catless downpipes. As stated in the OP I assumed the trimm control and system check was normal too until Terry mentioned it. I read that thread and it didn't state anything other than what the codes are which I know. Terry told me they were post cat codes which would make sense. Why would BMW have codes that say "Behind Catalytic Converter" be in front, and then codes that say "In front of catalytic converter" be behind..? Just doesn't make sense to me but maybe i'm missing something
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #143
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
29F4 and 29F5 are the codes I got in the first picture and why I said they were from having catless downpipes. As stated in the OP I assumed the trimm control and system check was normal too until Terry mentioned it. I read that thread and it didn't state anything other than what the codes are which I know. Terry told me they were post cat codes which would make sense. Why would BMW have codes that say "Behind Catalytic Converter" be in front, and then codes that say "In front of catalytic converter" be behind..? Just doesn't make sense to me but maybe i'm missing something
You are referring to the code descriptions maybe?? It dousn't say "In front of," it says "After." That's what you are missing, big difference. What's after the cat? The post-cat O2.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #144
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are referring to the code descriptions maybe?? It dousn't say "In front of," it says "After." That's what you are missing, big difference. What's after the cat? The post-cat O2.
My code says "Behind Catalytic converter 2" and one of the codes in that thread I linked says "In front of catalytic converter 2." Yes that is referring to the code description. I would assume that if the code says behind, it is after the cat and if it says in front of, it is before the cat. Could be wrong though

Edit: Just double checked with Terry and he said that my code (2C7F) is the rear o2
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #145
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My code says "Behind Catalytic converter 2" and one of the codes in that thread I linked says "In front of catalytic converter 2." Yes that is referring to the code description. I would assume that if the code says behind, it is after the cat and if it says in front of, it is before the cat. Could be wrong though

Edit: Just double checked with Terry and he said that my code (2C7F) is the rear o2
I could be wrong. It would just make sense to me the way it's worded. I don't have any personal experience dealing with O2's so go with what Terry says.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #146
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Clean and switch your vanos.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #147
Szemenyei
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335xi

Have you reset your adaptations yet after the carbon cleaning? After that if it still misfires I would like others have said drop it down to straight 93 and see what happens.

Retired: 2013 B8.5 S4
Retired: 2007 e90 335xi Cobb Tuned e85 50/50, AFE Intake, VK Catless Downpipes, Spec Stage 3+ SMFW, ER CP w/ TIAL, Vanguard Exhaust (Custom Fit )
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #148
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLK335i View Post
Clean and switch your vanos.
I'm planning on having Bryce do that next time i'm up there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szemenyei View Post
Have you reset your adaptations yet after the carbon cleaning? After that if it still misfires I would like others have said drop it down to straight 93 and see what happens.
Nope. I told Autocouture to do it but the main tech there said he doesn't think it's a good idea since he doesn't want to make the car anymore confused than it is already.

Update from today. Ran map 2 all day and then tried hard to get it to misfire on map 2 and succeeded. Code was P0305 misfire cylinder 5

Edit: What doesn't make sense to me is that i'm getting cyl 5. If it's one of the 3 usual suspects (coils, plugs, or injectors) then it must be coils, right? I did the cyl 5 injector a few weeks ago then did spark plugs last week. Anyone think I should try doing all 6 coils next since they're the cheapest? I swapped cyl 5 coil pack to cyl 2 before doing plugs and I don't think i've gotten a cyl 2 misfire...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #149
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:

Nope. I told Autocouture to do it but the main tech there said he doesn't think it's a good idea since he doesn't want to make the car anymore confused than it is already.

Update from today. Ran map 2 all day and then tried hard to get it to misfire on map 2 and succeeded. Code was P0305 misfire cylinder 5

Edit: What doesn't make sense to me is that i'm getting cyl 5. If it's one of the 3 usual suspects (coils, plugs, or injectors) then it must be coils, right? I did the cyl 5 injector a few weeks ago then did spark plugs last week. Anyone think I should try doing all 6 coils next since they're the cheapest? I swapped cyl 5 coil pack to cyl 2 before doing plugs and I don't think i've gotten a cyl 2 misfire...

It's been going on for a while, so help me refresh my mind on this.

1) Injectors replaced? decoupling element included? correct coding?

2)plugs replaced?

3) coils replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #150
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:

Try swapping a plug to just make sure?

This is weird...I doubt it's coilpack, if you swapped it and the misfired didn't return. I had a similar situation when my coilpack failed, I replaced the coilpack, and the misfire did not occur all the time, but kept having the cycle 5 misfire, so I decided to just replace one plug and the misfires have yet to return.

Perhaps when a coilpack fails or starts to fail it takes out the plug? Again, all of this is a shot in the dark.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #151
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is weird...I doubt it's coilpack, if you swapped it and the misfired didn't return. I had a similar situation when my coilpack failed, I replaced the coilpack, and the misfire did not occur all the time, but kept having the cycle 5 misfire, so I decided to just replace one plug and the misfires have yet to return.

Perhaps when a coilpack fails or starts to fail it takes out the plug? Again, all of this is a shot in the dark.
Well I did plugs about two weeks ago with NGK 5992's... And yes I did gap them down to .022

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post

2)plugs replaced?

3) coils replaced?

Cylinder 3 injector replaced last summer due to misfires then cylinder 5 injector replaced less than a month ago. Both were replaced with decoupling element and both were coded by @Szemenyei

Plugs I replaced about two weeks ago with NGK 5992 and gapped them down to .022

Coils have not been replaced but before I did plugs I swapped them around a bit. Swapped cyl 5 to cyl 2 and cyl 4 to cyl 3.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #152
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Coils, VANOS solenoids, or o2 sensor shenanigans? I had a pre-cat o2 go bad on me last fall, and the car was misfiring and running generally poorly. It sounds like your motor is seriously cranky over something, hope you can get this fixed up without blowing a hole in your wallet OP.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #153
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95
Quote:

Well I did plugs about two weeks ago with NGK 5992's... And yes I did gap them down to .022

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post

2)plugs replaced?

3) coils replaced?

Cylinder 3 injector replaced last summer due to misfires then cylinder 5 injector replaced less than a month ago. Both were replaced with decoupling element and both were coded by @Szemenyei

Plugs I replaced about two weeks ago with NGK 5992 and gapped them down to .022

Coils have not been replaced but before I did plugs I swapped them around a bit. Swapped cyl 5 to cyl 2 and cyl 4 to cyl 3.
Pete. Ill bet you a wash that it's your solenoids or ignition coils.

Let me know if that solves it.

If not you got a wash on
Me. Hope you get it resolved soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #154
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Coils, VANOS solenoids, or o2 sensor shenanigans? I had a pre-cat o2 go bad on me last fall, and the car was misfiring and running generally poorly. It sounds like your motor is seriously cranky over something, hope you can get this fixed up without blowing a hole in your wallet OP.
Me too but it's looking like I might just have to keep throwing parts at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLK335i View Post
Pete. Ill bet you a wash that it's your solenoids or ignition coils.

Let me know if that solves it.

If not you got a wash on
Me. Hope you get it resolved soon.
Haha sounds like a deal
Appreciate 0