E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Possible 335 Purchase

07-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Psyclone07
Rep
Drives: 335

Looking into a Bmw and was wondering if you guys could help me assess if this is a decent deal.

$25k +Ttl + "895 dealer prep fee"
2 owner
Sedan
Montego Blue
335i
6sp manual
47602 miles
M sport package
(No aluminum trim)

Car was in a accident ; second owner drove into someone from behind( no pictures or info on extent of damage except no airbags were deployed. Not sure if it was only scratches and what not. This is info from car fax.

Worth looking into or negotiating a price?? The dealer is pretty far away and seem to only want to negotiate in person.

I was originally looking for a coupe but the M package Sedan definitely caught my eye. It's also been pretty impossible to find a coupe with the right combo and color. (Lots of automatics!) I also am aware of the 335 issues and plan on having some cash for repairs saved.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

That would be a decent price if it wasn't in an accident, but I wouldn't touch a BMW that's been in an accident.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I dunno, that doesn't seem like a screaming deal to me, I paid $23K for a E92 with 70K one owner never wrecked. Either I got lucky or you could negotiate down.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Colo M/Sport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 M / Sport

Bought my 09 coupe in early May and paid more than that - so price seems OK. Mine had a rear ender but I was able to get pictures and the bills. The thing that bothers me most is the negotiate in person bit. How do people advertise on the internet and then expect/want to get only local buyers. That's not the point of the internet. Keep talking and maybe they will get flexible. But keep looking too. After thinking I couldn't find anything, I ended up with several choices.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

"Dealer prep fee"...those are a bunch of BS. You don't have to and never should have to pay it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclone07 View Post
Looking into a Bmw and was wondering if you guys could help me assess if this is a decent deal.

2 owner
Sedan
Montego Blue
335i
6sp manual
47602 miles
M sport package
(No aluminum trim)

Car was in a accident ; second owner drove into someone from behind( no pictures or info on extent of damage except no airbags were deployed. Not sure if it was only scratches and what not. This is info from car fax.

Worth looking into or negotiating a price?? The dealer is pretty far away and seem to only want to negotiate in person.

I was originally looking for a coupe but the M package Sedan definitely caught my eye. It's also been pretty impossible to find a coupe with the right combo and color. (Lots of automatics!) I also am aware of the 335 issues and plan on having some cash for repairs saved.

The one thing I have learned is... car dealerships are in the car sales biz, not the parking lot biz. OP, kindly reply online to said salesman and tell him to keep your email info handy and when he or his dealership is ready to work with you online you might be ready to do business with him if you haven't already purchased a car from someone else. That will get that sales man to bite.

Remember, someone is always selling... either he is selling you to jump thru his hoops or you are selling him to jump thru your hoops. Don't be the sucker... there are plenty of used cars for the buyer to choose from, but the car dealership can only sell what is in their inventory. They need your cash... but you don't need their car

The power is always with you, until you choose to fall for their games in their rules. Never feel afraid to walk away from a deal at the slightest rudeness from a sales guy. They are here for you, you are not here for them!

Final point - This is a used car, there is no "prep" fee, that is the sucker fee. Just ask the salesman what are all the fees he is intending to charge you and ask if those are required fees. Let him know that each of the "fees" he imposes will have an adverse impact on the purchase price of the car. I'm not against "fees" because there is no sales tax on fee's. Sales tax is only on the product (the car). I would rather buy the car for $5 and pay $24,995 in fees... because that means my state sales tax would be on the $5. So if he is gonna charge you $2k in BS fees on a used car... that just means you need to whack $4k on the purchase price of the vehicle and that is non-negotiable because his fees are non-negotiable That is your fee processing fee

- Faz

Last edited by fazman; 07-01-2013 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
sovende96
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i MSport

Doesn't seem like a screaming deal to me. I payed 10k less than that for a stock 335 with about double the miles. I searched for months and had many of my offers turned down though.

Also mine has an "Accident" on the title but after several phone calls and two pre inspections before buying, it was verified that the car was keyed and part of it was repainted by a bmw dealer. Too bad thats shows up as an accident on the title...

Try negotiating with them a little.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pass on the deal..every time I've settled with a car I haven't been completely pleased and happy. I was finally patient recently for the first time and couldn't be happier. I just purchased my fully loaded every option 11' 335 with 12k miles for under $40,000 after all fees and it has a full manufacturer warranty through 2015, CPO through 2017...deals are out there. I would pass and be patient.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU View Post
Pass on the deal..every time I've settled with a car I haven't been completely pleased and happy. I was finally patient recently for the first time and couldn't be happier. I just purchased my fully loaded every option 11' 335 with 12k miles for under $40,000 after all fees and it has a full manufacturer warranty through 2015, CPO through 2017...deals are out there. I would pass and be patient.
Well said! +1
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not to mention it was a one owner, lease for two years with an average of 5,800 miles a year and driven by an older female. I tried putting it in sport mode with the shifter and it was hard to because it had never been used lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Don't pay any dealer prep fee. It's bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman
Quote:

2 owner
Sedan
Montego Blue
335i
6sp manual
47602 miles
M sport package
(No aluminum trim)

The one thing I have learned is... car dealerships are in the car sales biz, not the parking lot biz. OP, kindly reply online to said salesman and tell him to keep your email info handy and when he or his dealership is ready to work with you online you might be ready to do business with him if you haven't already purchased a car from someone else. That will get that sales man to bite.

Remember, someone is always selling... either he is selling you to jump thru his hoops or you are selling him to jump thru your hoops. Don't be the sucker... there are plenty of used cars for the buyer to choose from, but the car dealership can only sell what is in their inventory. They need your cash... but you don't need their car

The power is always with you, until you choose to fall for their games in their rules. Never feel afraid to walk away from a deal at the slightest rudeness from a sales guy. They are here for you, you are not here for them!

Final point - This is a used car, there is no "prep" fee, that is the sucker fee. Just ask the salesman what are all the fees he is intending to charge you and ask if those are required fees. Let him know that each of the "fees" he imposes will have an adverse impact on the purchase price of the car. I'm not against "fees" because there is no sales tax on fee's. Sales tax is only on the product (the car). I would rather buy the car for $5 and pay $24,995 in fees... because that means my state sales tax would be on the $5. So if he is gonna charge you $2k in BS fees on a used car... that just means you need to whack $4k on the purchase price of the vehicle and that is non-negotiable because his fees are non-negotiable That is your fee processing fee

- Faz
The Fazman's advice is spot on...pass on the deal. They need you, you don't need them. Hence their BS. They are trying to say it's a good deal but adding on fees to make up their premium lol. Try cars.com, cargurus, or truecars. I was wanting to buy a few out of state in California that would be a flight down but passed and drove north 4 hours and was more than pleased and excited that I had waited. Wish you the best OP. I was in your same exact boat a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Car was in an accident = Walk, call a cab, ride a bike, take the bus, or buy something else. Period.

If you have the money to buy a BMW, used or new, you have the money to buy one that wasn't in an accident.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

^ this. Here is the reason http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859384

Last edited by Chriztofor; 07-02-2013 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #15
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU View Post
"Dealer prep fee"...those are a bunch of BS. You don't have to and never should have to pay it.
Yep +1
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post

- Faz
Could not have said it better
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

I'll sell you mine for $31.5k. It's got 100k warranty, blk/blk. Still have 2 months left on 4/50k. Lower miles than you listed, m-sport, aluminum, new tires + spare. But it's auto.

No prep fee, no dealer fee, no reacharound.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Psyclone07
Rep

Sorry not looking for a auto.

Emailed the dealer and of course no response. Oh well. The search continues.

Trying to keep price around 25k or less. And miles 60k and lower. Manual only.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry not looking for a auto.

Emailed the dealer and of course no response. Oh well. The search continues.

Trying to keep price around 25k or less. And miles 60k and lower. Manual only.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
Why not just buy a cpo from bmwusa. They will give u .09% for 5 years
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Fillyo75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Keep looking, it takes a while. I bought my e90 2009 335i with 29k miles , 6 spd, for $29k from CarMax last July, it was certified CPO and 1 owner, cuz I had BMW dealer check VIN before I bought. I have still checked the ads since then and have seen nothing comparable in price and miles since then, I'm in Chicago area. Prices seem higher here then in other areas. I would travel anywhere to buy the right next one!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Psyclone07
Rep

Alright found another car I'm going to be looking into.

$23k
2009 335i
Alpine White
Chestnut leather
M Package
Aluminum Trim

No other packages as far as I can tell. No heated seats(would be nice but don't find it a deal breaker)

Clean carfax 2 owner 63k miles.

Has black rims (not a fan so would end up selling) and a black painted roof. (Would like to see the quality but would prefer the oem white)

It is far away (a flight distance.) but I believe it's a pretty decent deal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
Psyclone07
Rep

And cancel the last car. Just read some horrible dealer reviews so think I'm going to avoid them. History of selling cars with issues and resetting CEL and saying your SOL as the cars are sold AS IS. I'd rather not.
Appreciate 0