E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Did an oil change on an incline - Oil leaking

07-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Question Did an oil change on an incline - Oil leaking

Heya,

I did an oil change on an incline myself with some help from a good neighbor who had some tools I needed. After draining the oil, when the oil pressure was low and because of the incline, some of the oil went inside the plastic undercarriage and my car is continually leaking oil and burning it each time I turn on the car.

How do I get rid of this? Everyone thinks my car is leaking oil and it's really annoying having to explain what happened.

-

Also when I did the oil change, my car didn't prompt me with any messages or whatsoever. Is this normal? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
park your car on the opposite incline and let the oil drain out. do a search for reset oil computer in the forums and you should find a way to reset it. it's complex, but doable.

i did my own oil change at 7500 miles but didnt reset the computer because i still get my free oil changes at 15000 miles.

here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360706

Last edited by chowser51; 07-09-2010 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

How much of an incline was it? I can't believe it was steep enough to have the oil not drain straight enough down that it caught on the engine belly pan. If I were you I'd remove the engine belly pan and spray some brakekleen on it and wipe it dry. Also I'd be a bit concerned that you didn't get all the old oil out of the engine. The car is pretty much meant to have it's oil changed when it is level.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
ManyMoonsAgo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
How much of an incline was it? I can't believe it was steep enough to have the oil not drain straight enough down that it caught on the engine belly pan. If I were you I'd remove the engine belly pan and spray some brakekleen on it and wipe it dry. Also I'd be a bit concerned that you didn't get all the old oil out of the engine. The car is pretty much meant to have it's oil changed when it is level.
I concur; I think dropping the belly-pan would be worthwhile if you suspect a good bit of oil streamed into the pan. I have changed my oil numerous times using Race Ramps and have never experienced this phenomenon myself, even when the draining oil is just a trickle, it does not trickle into the belly-pan.

Also, just to be sure, did you replace the drain-plug washer and torqued the drain plug to the proper spec.?

As for your last question - no, the car will not prompt you with any messages when you change the oil.
Appreciate 0