E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Calling all code experts! Are steering controls possible?

09-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Calling all code experts! Are steering controls possible?

As the title says...

I'm sure this gets brought up hundreds of times, but it's easier to subscribe to my own thread than to read replies to topics not of my own (a lot of useless emails)...

Anyway... as far as i can tell, there's no steering wheel control module capable of sending and receiving signals to an aftermarket Audio Head Unit... i got from my local audio store that it's done by computer. So with that said, is there a function somewhere within the car i can change to allow my steering wheel controls to work with [lets say] a pioneer radio?

If so, what? Where? How much? How to?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
As the title says...

I'm sure this gets brought up hundreds of times, but it's easier to subscribe to my own thread than to read replies to topics not of my own (a lot of useless emails)...

Anyway... as far as i can tell, there's no steering wheel control module capable of sending and receiving signals to an aftermarket Audio Head Unit... i got from my local audio store that it's done by computer. So with that said, is there a function somewhere within the car i can change to allow my steering wheel controls to work with [lets say] a pioneer radio?

If so, what? Where? How much? How to?

Thanks!
i don't think code would provide this. You'd probably have to solve it with physical mods like splicing wires, etc. I don't even know if this is feasible - probably better to ask this in car audio forums. Let us know what you find?

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
speak of the devil

the question was just asked in the AUdio forum

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24821

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

^__^ i was just in that post lol I'm waiting on a definite result though before i can say for sure, but i think the "PAC SWI-PS" might be the answer. I'll have to wait and see once i get the 7" Screen'd stereo i want i'll make the sacrifice (i figure, hell, if i'm going to spend a lot of money AND sacrifice steering wheel controls, i better at least get THE stereo head unit i want, right?)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Tucker142
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
^__^ i was just in that post lol I'm waiting on a definite result though before i can say for sure, but i think the "PAC SWI-PS" might be the answer. I'll have to wait and see once i get the 7" Screen'd stereo i want i'll make the sacrifice (i figure, hell, if i'm going to spend a lot of money AND sacrifice steering wheel controls, i better at least get THE stereo head unit i want, right?)
The PAC swi-ps will work if your aftermarket headunit is pioneer or Sony hence the "ps" in PAC swi-ps. Very easy to install, just splice a few wires. The programing is the only real hard part. If you have any questions just let me know.
I also have a PAC swi-ps for sale cheap if you want one. It's still new and I have all the instructions.
Appreciate 0