E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Review of Performance suspension on E92

11-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
Review of Performance suspension on E92

Have installed performance suspension on the car with wheel alignment in Advan/BMR. Special thanks to Sujoy for finding parts, organising delivery and installation . Found no local feedback on Performance suspension so decided to post my own review. Thanks other members to suggest various options to me

WHAT I HAD
I used to have M-sports suspension and therefore all these comments are using M-sports suspension as a reference. All other things on the car remain the same, except suspension setup. Here is the condition of the car: 19-inch 313 rim, Bridgestone S001 RFT, and M-sports suspension.

WHAT`S WRONG WITH M-SPORTS SUSPENSION
Equipped M-sports suspension gives the car a floating and hesitating characteristics but still harsh under heavy steering. Vibrations from here and there initially gives me a wrong feeling that the car has a pretty stiff setup. However, its lacking of support is revealed when under sharp steering, there is an noticeable body roll. It feels like, car`s head is out first, then the tail is pulled out, like a rubber band. Vibration wise, RFT plays a role, but suspension also results in a lot unpleasant vibrations because it can't remove those small ones. Sometime it results in resonance when driving fast on rough road. M-sports suspension isn't doing a good job, probably because it is designed with extra softness in order to neutralize the harshness of RFT. .

WHAT I WANT
I want the car to be firmer to avoid floating, also resonance, but without sacrificing too much comfort. So I`m looking at a balance in an upper level. There are many options from big brands to go. But one thing pulls my trigger on Performance suspension is that it is designed specifically for this car. I don`t have a chance to experience KW, Bilstein etc. The safest way is to be stick with Original .

WHAT`S INCLUDED
BMW Performance suspension set comes with four springs and four matching dampers, a 26.5mm front sway bar and other bits needed for installation. These springs need to be ordered according to VIN number, meaning each model will have its own springs (weight based?). Here are a few pictures.

a whole set

Comparison of Performance front-sway bar and M-sports front-sway bar

Left-front

Left-rear

Right-rear

Rear under chassis

Front and front-sway bar

Slightly lower than M-sports?

FEEDBACKS
HEIGHT: Seat is lower slightly than before. Pic attached.
COMFORT: There is a rough bitumen road in front of Advan/BMR. I remember how bumpy my car was with M-sports suspension on this road.With performance suspension, it`s quieter and crisp, steering wheel has less vibration, so as the seat. It feels more comfort than M-sports because much less resonance and vibration also finishes quicker.
HANDLING: less body roll, not sure if it is attributed to upgraded front-sway bar or front springs/shock. Car is more nimble and the steering feels more responsive. I didn`t have a chance to see other suspensions but compared to M-sports, I`m happy with this. I`ll switch to NON-RFT soon, enough with crappy RFTs.

HOW OTHERS SAY
"The spring rate is 48% stiffer than the base stock suspension and 34% stiffer than the factory Sport suspension. The spring travel for the front axle is 26 mm and 12mm for the rear, which greatly reduces body roll in combination with the thicker sway bars. The 25 mm drop with this setup also helps alleviate some of the unwanted wheel gap the stock car is known for (10 mm compared to the factory sport suspension). http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389037

Last edited by DOCTOR.Y; 12-03-2016 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
sbce90249.00
      11-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Trev88
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 LCI

Looks like an m3 front sway bar there!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev88 View Post
Looks like an m3 front sway bar there!
yeah they have same diameter (26.5mm) but in different mechanical characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
The other day I was in Stu`s E92 M3 (BMR1). That car comes with YOKOHAMA AD08R tyres, we drove on some rough asphalt roads and it did feel more comfortable and quiet than my car (M-sports susp + S001 tyres) even in stiffest M3 settings. I was instantly convinced that how crappy RFT are... I should believe this earlier but kept telling myself, it is bad but not too much. After getting out of that M3, I determined to replace these RFTs with PSS I`ll see how it goes.

PS: In this thread I can see a lot valuable advices, also I can see different people have different combos. It is a lot knowledge to me at this stage, I appreciate everyone`s words, although I end up with Performance suspension. It takes time to experience the process of modification and adsorb these knowledge. Sometimes I opened this thread again (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314744) and looked at these valuable advices and think about my current feeling of the car. I`ll see how it feels after changing from S001 to PSS and decide what to do next

Last edited by DOCTOR.Y; 11-20-2016 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
Trev88
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Y View Post
The other day I was in Stu`s E92 M3 (BMR1). That car comes with YOKOHAMA AD08R tyres, we drove on some rough asphalt roads and it did feel more comfortable and quiet than my car (M-sports susp + S001 tyres) even in stiffest M3 settings. I was instantly convinced that how crappy RFT are... I should believe this earlier but kept telling myself, it is bad but not too much. After getting out of that M3, I determined to replace these RFTs with PSS I`ll see how it goes.

PS: In this thread I can see a lot valuable advices, also I can see different people have different combos. It is a lot knowledge to me at this stage, I appreciate everyone`s words, although I end up with Performance suspension. It takes time to experience the process of modification and adsorb these knowledge. Sometimes I opened this thread again (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314744) and looked at these valuable advices, think about them and also think about my current feeling about the car. I`ll see how it feels after changing from S001 to PSS and decide what to do next
First thing I noticed is it feels so comfortable
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
Twoforty
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Y View Post
yeah they have same diameter (26.5mm) but in different mechanical characteristics.
Engineering comparison :
Both sway bars are made of spring steel so the torsional modulus of the material is identical.
Sway bar torsional stiffness is proportional to the fourth power of the diameters only.
ie dxdxdxd.
Since both diameters are the same (26.5mm), the torsional stiffness is the same.

There's no "mechanical difference". Or more technically; there's no engineering difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

No. The performance sway has a pinch in it like the stock one. The m3 is constant 26.5mm so it's stiffer
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Would this set up be similar to the Koni Yellows with Eibach Pro-Kit? Or is it superior?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #9
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

"When people drop their cars they are changing the geometry on the sway bar. The result is needing to add length to the sway bar to get back to the original geometry so you get the most out of the bar."

If i am going to install a coilover, what sway bay should i get back to the original geometry as mentioned above?
I have got Bilstein B14 and going to drop a further 3-5cm on the front and 2-3cm on the rear from the current M sport suspension

If i am not changing a matching sway bar, is there any negative impact to my car?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #10
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL
"When people drop their cars they are changing the geometry on the sway bar. The result is needing to add length to the sway bar to get back to the original geometry so you get the most out of the bar."

If i am going to install a coilover, what sway bay should i get back to the original geometry as mentioned above?
I have got Bilstein B14 and going to drop a further 3-5cm on the front and 2-3cm on the rear from the current M sport suspension

If i am not changing a matching sway bar, is there any negative impact to my car?
you just need adjustable sway bar end links. although if you're not dropping the car significantly you can probably get away with the stock end links.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #11
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post

Stock sway bar end links are good up to like 3cm of lowering. Any more and you would need adjustable end links to avoid any excess wear and tear on the sway bar end links and on the sway bar itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #12
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Stock sway bar end links are good up to like 3cm of lowering. Any more and you would need adjustable end links to avoid any excess wear and tear on the sway bar end links and on the sway bar itself.
Oh, thanks!
I should have taken this into account when I first bought the coilover.
If I have got M sport suspension and want to further lower the front by 3-5cm, what would be decent options for the said adjustable end links?
I may buy that as well so that I can get everything installed together to save labour.

This?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hotchkis-parts/front-adjustable-endlink-set/25834f~hot/

Any known alternative locally?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:27 AM   #13
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL View Post
Oh, thanks!
I should have taken this into account when I first bought the coilover.
If I have got M sport suspension and want to further lower the front by 3-5cm, what would be decent options for the said adjustable end links?
I may buy that as well so that I can get everything installed together to save labour.

This?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hotchkis...et/25834f~hot/

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317407

You are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #14
titium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL

whiteline make a set. easy to find locally
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:25 AM   #15
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
whiteline make a set. easy to find locally
The ones from MRT for 170?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:29 AM   #16
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Would this set up be similar to the Koni Yellows with Eibach Pro-Kit? Or is it superior?
I don`t know as I don`t have a chance to compare. Better if we could have someone experienced both.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #17
CYL
Major
Rep

Quote:
The ones from MRT for 170?
Whiteline KLC 154 $152 on eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162045310126

May I ask if I need to upgrade the sway bar as well? Or just the end link will be sufficient?
Just really want to get everyone in together while doing the coilover.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Y

PS: In this thread I can see a lot valuable advices, also I can see different people have different combos. It is a lot knowledge to me at this stage, I appreciate everyone`s words, although I end up with Performance suspension. It takes time to experience the process of modification and adsorb these knowledge. Sometimes I opened this thread again (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314744) and looked at these valuable advices and think about my current feeling of the car. I`ll see how it feels after changing from S001 to PSS and decide what to do next
I can't help but ask why you asked for everyone's advice, but didn't take it? Should have ditched the run flats as your first priority.

How many kms on your car? What you felt from your car could just be the old suspensions age.

The improvement you feel could merely be the change to brand new suspension like a car that's just come from the showroom.

You would also be suffering a placebo affect having been told by the salesman how good the Performance stuff is and also spending so much money on it.

There should not be a major difference between M Sport and Performance suspension. It should be subtle at best. It's not the best choice to have made IMO.

The most important thing now is definitely getting rid of the runflats though!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #19
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
How many kms on your car? What you felt from your car could just be the old suspensions age.

The improvement you feel could merely be the change to brand new suspension like a car that's just come from the showroom.
Yep agreed, I've driven a ton of e82s/e92s with stock suspension and by 100k kms the shocks are already worn out and lost a lot of their damping performance. The shocks in these cars will last much much longer than 100k kms without being bouncy and rarely leak, but they tend to just get stiff. What you end up with is a car that feels very stiff and crashy over fast bumps and very soft (due to the soft springs) over speed bumps. People just mistake this for crap stock suspension but in reality theyre just worn out.

Jump into a car with stock msport suspension with 30k kms and its still comfortable and still damps the bumps properly
      11-25-2016, 12:47 AM   #20
CYL
Major
Rep

"It should't effect the suspension, it could effect your tyre wear though. It guess it will probably also be a bit harder on some of the suspension bushes but not enough to worry about."

The above is what the mechanic said.
Is that true?
I don't mind changing to an adjustable end link but really want to know if the above is true.

I am getting the whiteline adjustable end link.
Product name: Whiteline KLC 154
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 01:40 AM   #21
titium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYL
"It should't effect the suspension, it could effect your tyre wear though. It guess it will probably also be a bit harder on some of the suspension bushes but not enough to worry about."

The above is what the mechanic said.
Is that true?
I don't mind changing to an adjustable end link but really want to know if the above is true.

I am getting the whiteline adjustable end link.
Product name: Whiteline KLC 154
having the adjustable end link will be better in every aspect. whether the difference is worth it depends on how much you're lowered and how far the stock end links end up placing the sway from the ideal position.

provided they are adjusted correctly there is no disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 02:37 AM   #22
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
Everyone's input is valuable to me, I was advised with many difference options. I end up with performance suspension doesn't mean I asked advise from others but did listen to them. Some suggest B16, some suggest B14, some suggest Coilover, suggest performance. However I only need one suspension. May change it in the future. RFTs have been replaced by PSS, feels so smooth and quiet.

My car is 48000km so I think worn stock M sports suspension shouldn't be my case.

Anyway thanks again for all inputs, I learned a lot
Appreciate 0