E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3-series March 2011 Production Changes (U.S.)

02-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #111
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

I just ordered so now what

I ordered iPod and Nav. Will I get 6NR if I get the snap in later?

Also I have DCT credit on the 335is. Is DCT free now? Anyone have a wholesale for the 335i/335is for March?

Last edited by KevinJ; 02-20-2011 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #112
aljlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d e90

I would be surprised if they made dct free, two different gear boxes with different pricing. As far as the snap in, if you have smartphone integration in your car, then you can get the snap in, and maybe get the 6NR, but there is still little information about the upgrade path without 6NR and to 6NR so that will be to determined. I don't believe smartphone integration can be retrofitted easily, if at all. I haven't seen anyone try a retrofit at this point or post a diy on it. Would be interesting if you couldn't upgrade from dealer, if a diy pops up to do an upgrade somehow.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #113
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Crazy

I mean come on, NAV and iPod and you still have to pay for smart phone feature Smart Phone doesn't sound so "smart". So if I don't get smart phone integration, then BMW isn't smart enough to allow me to use my smartphone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljlin View Post
I would be surprised if they made dct free, two different gear boxes with different pricing. As far as the snap in, if you have smartphone integration in your car, then you can get the snap in, and maybe get the 6NR, but there is still little information about the upgrade path without 6NR and to 6NR so that will be to determined. I don't believe smartphone integration can be retrofitted easily, if at all. I haven't seen anyone try a retrofit at this point or post a diy on it. Would be interesting if you couldn't upgrade from dealer, if a diy pops up to do an upgrade somehow.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #114
dryicerx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
I would be surprised if they made dct free, two different gear boxes with different pricing.
Actually from time to time, bmw offers credit for the DCT transmission which makes it free... I thought that deal ended a while ago though. When I ordered mine last July, I got the DCT credit.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #115
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I ordered iPod and Nav. Will I get 6NR if I get the snap in later?

Also I have DCT credit on the 335is. Is DCT free now? Anyone have a wholesale for the 335i/335is for March?
You will not get 6NR unless you order it -- actually I believe you have to order 6NF now, which includes 6NR.

If you have the DCT credit, from what I've been told, you have 60 days to take delivery in order to get it. But you should confirm w/ your CA. As of March 1, DCT drops to $450 MSRP, which would make it around $415 invoice.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #116
podge8
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
You will not get 6NR unless you order it -- actually I believe you have to order 6NF now, which includes 6NR.
6NF is no longer an option from March 2011, since it will be included in 6NR. So you have or order 6NR for $250 in order to get the smartphone integration and the BMW Apps functionality, and that's after you get the snap-in adapter for your phone separately from the dealer afterwards! Something like $200 extra? Love how BMW thinks of so many creative ways to charge us more money!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #117
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
I think the whole thing is quite strange. Seriously, how hard could it be to release the pricing and update the website? Here it is late in February and they still can't show what you can order for March?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have updated the website early and then if someone goes to a dealer to buy one they'd simply tell them they have to order it? Oh well. Good luck with your purchase. Maybe you can go without a convertible or MT?
I agree I find this quite strange and it worries me if BMW thinks this is the "correct" way to do business. They released the change info on 2/11/11 according to the price sheets but still haven't updated the website???

I'm also really bummed that the 328i gets the new rims and the 335i keeps the nice 193Ms. It wouldn't be so bad if I was getting a 335 but to pay extra and get the 152s is a bummer. Glad the sedans aren't getting these.

I've now been to two other dealer hoping they still had some modifiable Feb. build cars but they didn't. I kind of expected that but felt I had to try. The really sad part is that they didn't even know about the March changes until I told them. They didn't even believe me until they checked their bulletins.

I just can't get myself to order a car that's not a MT. That's all I have driven except for 10 months when I drove a '88 Convert. Vette. So now it's either order a sedan or buy used.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #118
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post

I just can't get myself to order a car that's not a MT. That's all I have driven except for 10 months when I drove a '88 Convert. Vette. So now it's either order a sedan or buy used.
Or the 3rd option: ED. You'll save at least $5K. ED invoice is lower than US invoice and all ED deals (at least legit ones) are based on ED invoice plus US invoice for options plus $500-1000. Deal for the lower end if the dealership charges a stiff doc/processing fee. Also there is no BMW training fee on ED cars.

Grab a cheap airfare, and the Marriott is usually under $100/night except for Octoberfest via hotel consolidators like priceline.. Honestly, I did my first ED a few years ago and now I'm totally addicted. It's the best way to buy a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #119
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't get BMW

I mean talk about nickle and dime. So what the hell does the iPod/USB do then? What am I paying $350 for? So do I need to order 6NR@ $250 or 6NF @ $150? I think I'm hearing two different stories.

So 6NF is the smart phone integration right for $150? If I order 6NF now, I get 6NR automatically or is that what people hope?

If I order 6NR for $250 then it comes with 6NF?

Then later apparently you need to pay another $200 for a snap-in or nothing works. This is really dumb. For $2k the Nav should already have these features. On top of it the BMW facilities don't even know about these features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge8 View Post
6NF is no longer an option from March 2011, since it will be included in 6NR. So you have or order 6NR for $250 in order to get the smartphone integration and the BMW Apps functionality, and that's after you get the snap-in adapter for your phone separately from the dealer afterwards! Something like $200 extra? Love how BMW thinks of so many creative ways to charge us more money!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #120
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I mean talk about nickle and dime. So what the hell does the iPod/USB do then? What am I paying $350 for? So do I need to order 6NR@ $250 or 6NF @ $150? I think I'm hearing two different stories.

So 6NF is the smart phone integration right for $150? If I order 6NF now, I get 6NR automatically or is that what people hope?

Then later apparently you need to pay another $200 for a snap-in or nothing works. This is really dumb. For $2k the Nav should already have these features. On top of it the BMW facilities don't even know about these features.
6NR takes the place of 6NF and does everything it does plus adding BMW apps. I do not know if the snap in adaptor is necessary but I was planning on getting that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #121
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
6NR takes the place of 6NF and does everything it does plus adding BMW apps. I do not know if the snap in adaptor is necessary but I was planning on getting that anyway.
I was told the same. As far as the snap-in being required, it seems that it's unclear at the time. There is some information here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=179
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #122
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Or the 3rd option: ED. You'll save at least $5K. ED invoice is lower than US invoice and all ED deals (at least legit ones) are based on ED invoice plus US invoice for options plus $500-1000. Deal for the lower end if the dealership charges a stiff doc/processing fee. Also there is no BMW training fee on ED cars.

Grab a cheap airfare, and the Marriott is usually under $100/night except for Octoberfest via hotel consolidators like priceline.. Honestly, I did my first ED a few years ago and now I'm totally addicted. It's the best way to buy a BMW.
Thanks for the idea. I might have to check this out and see if it can work out for me. I am waiting on the BMW website to update so that I can see if the 328i will really have the 152 rims shown earlier. I'd need money for rims too then.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by mr_milo; 02-23-2011 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #123
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

My car just finished being built a few days ago (e92 335 M-Sport) does this mean I will be included in this production cycle or is this cycle starting in the factories at the beginning of March?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #124
VK11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

My order is going into production this week and i'm contemplating adding this $250 option for the 6NR. I want to know if anyone knows if this will only work with an Iphone? From the bulletin it makes it seem like that but i'm not postive, I currently have a Droid but wouldn't be against switching to an iphone in the future but i'd rather not. If anyone knows if this will work with other phones please let me know because i need to let my CA know whether i want to add ASAP. Thanks

Attached is the bulletin about the 6nr
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_APPS_Intro.pdf (196.9 KB, 112 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #125
aljlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
My car just finished being built a few days ago (e92 335 M-Sport) does this mean I will be included in this production cycle or is this cycle starting in the factories at the beginning of March?
If your car just finished being built, meaning it has completed production stage and is being prepared for shipment to the dealer, then no, you will not be affected by any of the changes listed in the first post of this thread. The posts in this thread only affects those people whose production is scheduled for next week and later.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #126
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Annoying sure is a good word for the vagueness of the March Productions changes. If you can no longer order the old options the new details should be fully available by now.

I talked with the dealer again trying to get to the bottom of the new pricing and options. The dealer gave me the attached E93 Retail Price Sheet that becomes effective Mar. 1, 2011. The problem is that this just confuses things more. It shows base price up $950, the Auto @ NC, BMW Apps @ $250, the ZM2 M-Sport @ $2800, although it also shows ZMP M-Sport and the ZSP Sport packages too.

He doesn't quite get it and it's all really frustrating for me as well. According to him this is the newest up to date pricing and options. What the heck is going on????

Attachment 487831
Attachment 487832
Attachment 487833
Attachment 487834
Any chance you could get the E92 sheets?

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #127
aljlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

6NF (Smartphone integration) as of March 2011 is no longer a stand-alone option. 6NF becomes a no-cost option that is added as part of the 6NR option that costs $250 total.

To summarize what I've read about the recent changes and current options.

Looking at the bulletin in a recent post, it looks like the snap-in adapter is not ABSOLUTELY necessary, if you only care about the BMW APPS functionality (Facebook/twitter updates,webradio, etc) then you can just use the usb/ipod port to connect your iphone. (It seems that on initial release it only supports iphones, but who knows if they will branch out to android devices and other mobile OS platforms)

The 200ish dollar snap-in adapter is only required IF you want the following two functionalities:
1. Make idrive to use the ipod out functionality so that the idrive uses a more apple interface to browse your playlists and such
2. Video out, so that you can play videos stored on your ipod on your idrive screen when parked

As for what the ipod/usb connector does, it provides the basic functionality so that you can connect your ipod/music device and it will load the playlists and the music ( Provided your music player is supported by BMW.) onto your idrive/non-idrive radio and allow you to use the stereo/steering wheel controls to move through playlists and songs.

For basic PHONE functions such as calling/address book storage, if you have the bluetooth/bmw assist option, you can just connect your phone via bluetooth, and if your phone is supported it will sync your address book to your car and allow you to call/receive calls using the microphone and speakers.

Smartphone integration only enhances the ipod/usb & phone functions by providing another outlet to connect your ipod touch/iphone, with additional functionality of connecting the phone to the car antenna so it can get better reception. This is all dependent on if you have a phone (ipod touch) that BMW has a snap-in adapter for. If you don't have a phone with a supported snap-in adapter, then you're better off just using USB/IPOD option & bluetooth.

With the new 6NR, this only further adds what capabilities the smartphone integration can provide you. But with the iphone limitation, and limited apps, there is very little options right now to justify it unless you hope later on they upgrade to allow more apps/functionality.

I could be wrong about some of these options or missing some finer details on what some may offer you, and those who can provide that data feel free to correct/improve what I wrote.

Last edited by aljlin; 02-22-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: I put 6FL instead of 6NF
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #128
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

Droid Doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK11 View Post
My order is going into production this week and i'm contemplating adding this $250 option for the 6NR. I want to know if anyone knows if this will only work with an Iphone?
It certainly won't work with your existing Droid, and the existing option only works with the iPhone, so I would only order it if you plan to step up to iPhone 4.

Planning beyond iPhone 4 or future Android products is a crap shoot.

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #129
VK11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

thanks for your reply. So from my understanding, the only 6NR usability, for now, for a non iphone user would be with an ipod to use the ipod interface through iDrive? And it would be unlikely a system update in the future would allow android compatibility?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #130
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VK11 View Post
My order is going into production this week and i'm contemplating adding this $250 option for the 6NR. I want to know if anyone knows if this will only work with an Iphone? From the bulletin it makes it seem like that but i'm not postive, I currently have a Droid but wouldn't be against switching to an iphone in the future but i'd rather not. If anyone knows if this will work with other phones please let me know because i need to let my CA know whether i want to add ASAP. Thanks

Attached is the bulletin about the 6nr
I'm almost positive that 6NR is only going to work with an iPhone, and possibly only certain models. I've attached a PDF of a PPT presentation that goes into a little more detail than the bulletin you posted and it only mentions iPhone and makes it seem like the iPhone is the brains of everything.

I have a Droid Incredible and I've learned that when BMW says "Smartphone" they really mean "iPhone". And I'm not going to give up my Incredible and get an iPhone so that I can get Facebook and Twitter integrated into my BMW.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Option 6NR.pdf (1.61 MB, 88 views)

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #131
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
With the new 6NR, this only further adds what capabilities the smartphone integration can provide you. But with the iphone limitation, and limited apps, there is very little options right now to justify it unless you hope later on they upgrade to allow more apps/functionality.
Good summary.

Not sure what you mean by "iPhone limitation" however unless you mean it is functional using only an Apple iPhone right now.

As to the limitation of apps, they referenced third party apps being announced at launch as well as their own. Since the apps are generally free there is no harm in waiting to see what they release. Since 6FL is now included, I guess it also still provides access to the cars antenna for the phone, so there may be some minor gain in reception when using the phone in the cradle.

For $250, it is worth the gamble IMO, and if more compelling apps come out which require the adapter, then spring for that later.
      02-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #132
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
It certainly won't work with your existing Droid, and the existing option only works with the iPhone, so I would only order it if you plan to step up to iPhone 4.
Some of us would say that is a step down.

Appreciate 0