E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede questions from a prospective buyer

08-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
SliverBullet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver 07' 335i

Question Procede questions from a prospective buyer

I'm new here so i'll try to keep it brief. I have some questions about the Procede and meth injection.

1. How does the autotune "detect" different fuel grades? As far as I know, the procede does not install any additional sensors to the engine. Is it just using the stock knock sensor? If so, doesn't that mean that the stock knock sensor is pretty darn good on its own? When dealing with meth and higher end boost levels, when does the stock knock sensor reach its limit?

2. How does the autotue "adapt" to mods? The car can adapt on its own. Is it just "piggybacking" off of these adaptations? Does the tune adapt directly to mods or does it react to the changing parameters that result from the mods?

3. How does a meth injection fail safe work? How quickly can it communicate to the tune? Does it use the stock knock sensor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by SliverBullet; 08-11-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

If Shiv doesn't see this thread, I suggest that you email Vishnu and ask them these questions. I'm pretty sure I understand how these things work, but I don't want to make a mistake explaining them.
      08-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverBullet View Post
I'm new here so i'll try to keep it brief. I have some questions about the Procede and meth injection.

1. How does the autotune "detect" different fuel grades? As far as I know, the procede does not install any additional sensors to the engine. Is it just using the stock knock sensor? If so, doesn't that mean that the stock knock sensor is pretty darn good on its own? When dealing with meth and higher end boost levels, when does the stock knock sensor reach its limit?
The knock control system on the n54 is pretty good... its very fast to respond, so much so that you don't even realize that the engine is knocking by the time the DME takes care of it... and these responses to knock can be seen by monitoring ignition advance and looking for dropouts as the DME intervenes.

The PROcede simply monitors ignition advance to see what the DME is doing as far as ignition retard, and if the DME is dropping the timing too much, which can be seen as spikes on the timing graph, then the PROcede uses that info to estimate a level of "aggressiveness" of the current tune/fuel combo. If this is more or less aggressive then desired, then the procede adjusts ignition and boost accordingly via autotune.

For example... on my car when running PROcede auto-tune with 93 oct fuel, the default settings were around 13.5 psi of boost and 50% ignition correction... meaning that the procede was taking out 50% of its available retard. As auto tune did its thing, it raised my boost to 14.5 (as seen on boost gauge), and lowered my ignition correction to only 30%, which means that there is less retard. Without auto-tune, I would have been running overly conservative and left power on the table.

Quote:
2. How does the autotue "adapt" to mods? The car can adapt on its own. Is it just "piggybacking" off of these adaptations? Does the tune adapt directly to mods or does it react to the changing parameters that result from the mods?
It constantly monitors the level of "agressiveness" based on feedback from the engine, and creeps in more timing advance and boost until the system is at its optimal setting... not too agressive, and not too conservative. This is why it takes 3 or 4 long pulls to fully adapt, because it only adjusts slowly as to not run something too agressive. This works in concert with the DME's own adaptions, because the procede monitors the DME's actual values via canbus. When you remove restrictions and back pressure, you also increase resistance to knock... so the procede detects this and adjusts.

Quote:
3. How does a meth injection fail safe work? How quickly can it communicate to the tune? Does it use the stock knock sensor?

Any help would be appreciated.
The meth failsafe works better than a failsafe... it actually runs in non-meth mode by default, and the tune progressively switches to the more agressive meth map progressively as it detects flow. No flow means that it never even goes into that map ever.

This is my understanding... someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong

Last edited by RiXst3r; 08-12-2010 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Here is a long detailed post about procede's autotuning and how it works:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374704

Here is a thread about procede's progressive meth autotuning:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403236
Appreciate 0