Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
I see. It was Mike. I believe.

I originally said there was no need to run the heater since coolant temps aren't an issue on our cars. It is obviously more complicated than that depending on what is under your hood.

I stand by my comments that BMW literally designed the engine with the oil and coolant jackets fairly well separated. However, IF someone is driving a car with the oil to water heat exchanger, then I agree that they will probably find more instant relief from temperature issues by upgrading the radiator first. This is only because oil is being cooled by the coolant and oil is where all the heat is coming from.

People who don't have the heat exchanger, and have a dedicated oil cooler, probably don't have coolant issues (except maybe AT). An argument should be made for At cars to run a dedicated trans cooler. The coolant runs the ATF fluid TOO HOTT on track. This in turn would help alleviate some burden on the radiator as well. People with the dedicated oil cooler, really just need to increase the capacity to keep oil temps down. That in turn should drop coolant temps a few degrees as a side effect.
Probably Mike's, yes.

I've read that pdf several times over the years, very helpful. While the coolant and oil are more isolated than usual they do couple, if weakly, as I mentioned. It would be impossible for them not to given the thermally conductive mass of the engine, in general.

Regardless, I have to agree that a separate AT cooler would be a good thing for those who track them.

And the oil cooler in my car is sized per Setrab although I'm sure it's just a generalization. Don't really care because adding the cooler was so damn cheap, even with BMRS fittings/lines and an Accusump -- cheap insurance. I expect to exceed their higher limit eventually but I doubt the cooler will need to be upsized. Datalogging will tell for sure though.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0