Bangarang_Rufio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e92 Blk on Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarbus View Post
Try this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486201

Don't necessarily replace them, but pull them and clean them. I've used just compressed air, and MAF Cleaner and compressed air a different time. And by compressed air, I mean an actual air compressor with a high psi output nozzle. Blast all of the oil and sludge out of it.

I'm surprised you don't have any codes, but I got an Engine Check light combined with the symptoms you're describing, and this fixed it. Now I do it when I change the oil to be proactive. It's about a 5-10 minute process, free, and doesn't drip anything, even with the oil in the engine.
I saw that DIY and was thinking of giving that a shot. I've never done something like that and wanted some feedback from others that had the same issue as me to see if that did the trick. Thank you for mentioning that. It's good to know that worked for you. Just curious, were you experiencing any other symptoms (besides check engine light) or was it just the symptoms as I described?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
After owning 2 N52's, one to 100k and the other to 43k youre getting close to that mileage where plus and coils could play a role in it. BUT youre correct that if its smooth at idle and 600-1k then it might not be them. Try cleaning your vanos. Only other advice I have for you is start putting money to the side for future repairs, oil leaks from the valve head cover and oil filter housing, plugs, coils, water pump, thermostat, brakes, and fluid flushes. its all coming up.
I think I'm going to try cleaning the vanos first because that seems like an easier next step in the diagnosis. If that doesn't work then checking the plugs and coils will be my next step unless anyone can tell me exactly what is going on. Thank for the advice! That's all great stuff to keep in mind. The brakes were all done by the dealer before I bought the car so they're good for a while but I have no idea if any of the other stuff was recently done because the carfax only showed reported maintenance from the BMW dealer up to about 50k. I figured that is when the free maintenance period ended. Based on the first 50k service mentioned in the carfax is seemed that the previous owner (only 1) did a great job keeping up with everything so I only assume he did the same for the next 25k with an indy shop that does not report to carfax, before he traded it in.

Appreciate 0