View Single Post
      05-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
trading10
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

IllSic_Design thanks for feedback on that $800 labor figure I came up with - I figured 10hrs at $80/hr. That's more than I make, so I imagine it would be a good deal for someone with skills.

I do have an indy shop here that isn't exactly low priced, but all the guys are bmw trained mechanics, so there's that. They have done some work recently that set me back $1100, which stung a little. Ok, a lot. I could ask them for tips if I do as much of the work as I can on my own.

Since I got this 335i about 3 yrs ago, it has had a bit of oil accumulation on the shield below the VC closest to the firewall, but the oil drips have increased from a drip here or there each day or so, to several drips daily. You can see the old oil and dirt accumulation on the oil filter housing, and fresh oil on the oil pan. I can't tell if all of this came from a leaky VCG or a cracked VC, or something else like the OFHG, but quite some time ago, I got heavy whiffs of burning oil, and decided it was that spot in the corner of the VC shielding that would drip onto the exhaust. Cardboard on garage floor for now. The tech that did the heater recall today also took video of the underside of the car, pointing out the problem areas. First time any dealer or indy shop has done this for me btw.

Take a look at this video and see what the bmw tech is talking about:
kgmorhl.mkvwa21.com/p/iQ0Xtc.html

I've read through about half of the number of posts at this DIY:
DIY E90 N54 Valve Cover Gasket
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775317

In that thread, people talk about the difficulties and mistakes made along the way to rpl the VCG. Snapping bolts when trying to take them out, and breaking the blow by vent hose, and a few other breakable items, seem to be a problem for some of the guys who followed the DIY. My fear is getting stuck in the middle of that job and having to find someone on the fly for help.

Last edited by trading10; 05-22-2019 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0