View Single Post
      01-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #182
left123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, I need to respond to this. Earlier in the thread I described my commute. It is not an easy all highway affair. I hammer my car a lot on back roads every day and drive it like a BMW not a Lexus. Second, the lift just makes the maintenance work easier, not better. Third, as mentioned earlier this is my 3rd high mileage BMW, and my 4th high mileage car over all.
1. the Lift: someone willing to install a lift in their home is MUCH more likely to maintain their vehicles well compared to the average person (people keep referring to lease for 3 years then ditch. That is the kind of person I am comparing it to).

2. Your commute is not hard if you are able to keep the engine running relatively consistently. A "hard" commute is someone in stop and go traffic for 2 hours a day in LA. Or someone that drives for 8 minutes only and shuts off the car. Those are "hard" commutes on a car and take their toll. I understand your point about running the car hard for a significant part of the commute and I wont discount that. Just comparing what the typical person's commute is and how that takes its cumulative toll on the vehicle.