01-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Tracking the shipment of your BMW for Australian orders

Hi Guys

I posted this a while ago, but it got mysteriously deleted... so I thought I would post it again seeing as some of you are waiting for delivery.

Like our US friends, it is possible to track the delivery of your car after it has been handed over to the shipping company BMW use to get the cars here (caveat this is for cars manufactured in South Africa, not sure where the E92 is made...)

All you need is your VIN number. I told my dealer I needed it to start arranging insurance, and bingo, they sent it. As soon as your car enters the production queue, a VIN is created and becomes visible to your dealer. Your dealer should also be able to tell you which week of production you are in (week of the year starting in January) from this you can work out the production date, and it takes roughly a week for your car to be made once the process starts. During this week, BMW book your car for shipment, and it is at this point you can start to track it on this website:

http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppTracking/

Select "RoRo Cargo" (means Roll On, Roll Off, ie cars) and then enter your VIN when asked for your Cargo ID. If it has been booked you will see the status.

After production, your car is freighted by rail to the port, then loaded and shipped. Once it arrives it is taken to a pre-pre delivery area where any shipping damage is fixed then shipped to your dealer who do final pre-delivery. BMW budget a week or two in pre-pre delivery and a week with your dealer. If your car gets off the ship and comes to you quickly, it shipped in perfect condition.

Mine was teflon coated, early into production, early onto boat and no time in pre-pre delivery and a short time with the dealer - I was well pleased. Being able to track it on it's journey here made the 3 month wait more bearable.

If your car isn't made in South Africa (as I think the E92s may not be) then you can track it using the same method at one of the websites of the other shipping companies, look them up on this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828

Who knows, BMW may use W&W for all shipments to Australia.

Anyway good luck for those who are waiting, hope this info helps, and if you manage to track your car, let me know by posting here.