E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

07-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #331
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlikesred View Post
i read about it in another thread that the base software for dinan mod is pre-29.2, therefore, it doesn't have the ill-effect of post-29.2 (nor would it have the benefit, if any, of the post-29.2)

i don't like the idea of taking out the physical unit of ECU and send it to dinan for mod, so i'm waiting to see how bmw handles this issue. when the newer dinan flash can be done with OBC port at the dealership without having to physically remove ECU, AND bmw got no fix by then, i might pull the trigger and do it.

and if bmw turns a blind eye on this issue, this will be my LAST BMW EVER. still kicking myself for not getting cayman s in order to save few bucks...

AGREE....+1...
I currently own 5 BMW products and I will eventually wean myself off of all of them except the bike. (My dad bought that bike new in 1972) Even the tii will go. I feel that everyone here is as pissed as I am with our cars. I have a feeling that BMW is going to try to fist us and make us like it
My dealer (Levin BMW in Scherriville Indiana) Is acting like the complete ass-holes that they are and continue with the crap like I DUNNO Like a bunch of dumb-asses...YO-REH TAAHD
And BMWNA is on the same line...PLEASE WORK WITH YOUR SERVICE DEPARTMENT ON THIS ISSUE.
Oh and by the way, my dealer has the same 4 m3's on his lot that he had when I took my June 1st delivery of my 335xi. That is why I think we are going to get fisted and no remedy to be had...Phuck BMW
      07-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #332
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

I should get my car soon folks. I will report on the lag issue next week.
      07-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #333
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

From what I have read about the version 30, it hasnt really fixed this problem. There have been some that say it has gotten better and others not. This is my third BMW and I am also disappointed at the way the the level of quality and service seems to have declined over the past 10 years. I was so excited when I decided to get this car. I went to talk to the dealer to order it and thats whe it began. I had to really fight with them in order for them to order the car. For one reason or another they just didnt seems to want thew order and after 6 months of trying to get them to put me on the production list I went to a different dealer 5 hours away rather than deal with the one 15 minutes away. When I went to pick up the car the disappointment got worse. The fit and finsih was not near what my past BMWs were. Orange peel paint, large, ineven gaps between the hood and girill and other body panels, bumper saggin, a lot of little things that used to be th details BMW was known for taking care of, seemed to be ignored. Then came the first time I took it in to have some of those problems addressed. Wow, can you say song and dance. The phrase, "they are all like that" was sued so many times that i had them pull up some of the others in stock. They werent all like that. Then it became "well there really s nothing we can do about that". I think it was at that point I realized things were different and this would probably be my last BMW. Now one year later and all the things that have happend in that time, and I am sure this is my last BMW. Does anyone else feel that they have been let down or disappointed in the way things went for them?
Then when I took the car to have some of those things looked at they sounded like the compulsive liar from the old saturday night live. It like they make shit up as they talked. As they were speaking I was hearing but it made no sense a lot of the time and I would look at them like a dog that heard a strange sound, my head tilted, thinking what the f*# are you talking about? That has nothing to do with the problem I described and makes no sense on this or any other planet. I had such high hopes for this car. It was to be my substitute M3since I couldnt afford an E46 M3 back then and theyear this came out it sounded better. Oh well, such is life in the fast moving , live on the edge life world the BMW owners live in, or i really need to seek professional mental help. Never sure which one it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #334
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

We should seriously consider writing to the attorney general of NJ for deceptive marketing practices of BMW. That will get BMW to take notice and fix it instead of giving us lame excuses.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #335
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
We should seriously consider writing to the attorney general of NJ for deceptive marketing practices of BMW. That will get BMW to take notice and fix it instead of giving us lame excuses.
Not a bad idea if any of us, especially any law-type-folks, want to give it a whirl. Can't hurt at least. We could send the list that is growing quite nicely on the "check-in" thread...although it's just "forum names" not real names, it still shows that in our relatively amall community, we already have over 20 people with the same claim against BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #336
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

well said guys. dissapointed here as well. at the least they should re-evaluate their dealers because for the most part, they are the ones that give BMW the bad rep IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #337
mmike70
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 Sedan/6MT

From BMW Engine TechDocs on our N54 engine noted in this post (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856) :

Utmost importance is attached to turbocharger response in the N54 engine. A delayed response to the driver's command, i.e. the accelerator-pedal position, is not acceptable. The driver therefore must not experience any so-called "turbo lag".

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #338
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Oh, I forgot to mention one other beauty that gives a hint of the thoroughness and attention to detail of the dealers in this area. The dealers go through a list of things to checck on the car before you drive away with it. As i was ddriving the 5 hours from the dealer I thought the car hadld so terribly. It was all over the road like it weighed a feather. After a day or two of this I just happoened to check the tire pressure. Each of the four tires was inflated to a different pressure, but the kicker is they ranged from 49psi to 54psi. Hmmmm, little carried away with the air hose, dont you agree?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #339
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention one other beauty that gives a hint of the thoroughness and attention to detail of the dealers in this area. The dealers go through a list of things to checck on the car before you drive away with it. As i was ddriving the 5 hours from the dealer I thought the car hadld so terribly. It was all over the road like it weighed a feather. After a day or two of this I just happoened to check the tire pressure. Each of the four tires was inflated to a different pressure, but the kicker is they ranged from 49psi to 54psi. Hmmmm, little carried away with the air hose, dont you agree?
Must have had a porter fill em up!!
      07-22-2008, 01:31 AM   #340
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Something that just crossed my mind. I am going to have the Dinan stage 2 upgrade done. From the posts I have read here, it seems like quite a few people are doing this, in part, to fix this problem that the BMW update created.
I wonder if this is going to have any influence on what BMW does and when. If they do decide to do something, how will they deal with the Dinan people.
The reason I wonder about the effect on what bmw deicdes is that if more and more go to Dinan then it might end up being gor or bad for BMW:

Good fro BMW: those people no longer complain or present a rpoblem to BMW because the Dinan reflash fixed their hesitation issuies and the are happy.

Bad for BMW: The people get the reflash, it removes the lag but it puts the wastegate or fuel pump problem back. They then end up needing one of those replaced and since it would appear that BMW would pay because those problems occu in that model car frequntly and without the Dinan upgrade. Dinan was not the cause.( this would be one they would go back and forth on I beleive)

So if BMW does something and I already have Dinan I would stay with that since i paid and it would have be updated after any progman. By doing that I moght also be passing on any compensation that may be the result of anything that happens whether it is the reult of a legal actionor BMW generosity.
I am not sure, thats why I am putting it out there. I would like to hear what the people think about how this may effect anything.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 02:01 AM   #341
Archibald Donnington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1

Here it goes. Version 30.22 or .022 or w/e is perfect. From when I took my car in (pre-29.2) until I got her back (30.xx) nothing has changed. She drives like she always has, wonderful. The exhaust is a little louder, and I am not sure how I feel about that yet, but everything else, including boost is just right.
aaron
      07-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #342
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Donnington View Post
Here it goes. Version 30.22 or .022 or w/e is perfect. From when I took my car in (pre-29.2) until I got her back (30.xx) nothing has changed. She drives like she always has, wonderful. The exhaust is a little louder, and I am not sure how I feel about that yet, but everything else, including boost is just right.
aaron
any ecu mods?
      07-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #343
Archibald Donnington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1

Not yet. It's still up for debate.
aaron
      07-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #344
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Donnington View Post
aaron
Hmm. Can't wait to hear from some others who get this 30.22 (or .022??)
I say that because, you note the exchaust is louder...well, it's louder because the wastegate is open, allowing the gasses to go uninhibited by the turbo, out the exhaust pipes. That then means that it isn't instantly responsive. That then means they didn't fix jack.

BTW - RBBMW - your sig is HI-Larious.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #345
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Someone get us the bulletin for version 30.22 please.
      07-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #346
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Just called the dealer and the SM told me he has not heard of any new ecu upgrade other than the v30.0....
He said that he would call me if he hears any news about v30.???. and that he loves me and the check is in the mail and he wont cum in my mouth...
      07-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #347
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

just called my SA. My car is in right now to get the lag looked at, I hope they have v30.022
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #348
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

can we just avoid these updates whatsoever? or will are warranties be voided

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #349
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
can we just avoid these updates whatsoever? or will are warranties be voided
yup, you can tell them not to update the software.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #350
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
yup, you can tell them not to update the software.
I bought my model in 2008 February, I should not have the update or they would've known about my V2 by now

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #351
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Quote:
It really isnt a matter of the amount of torque produced. I think that the issue of turbo lag is the strongest claim anyone would have. Torque and HP, and other measurements will vary from car to car no matter what, but BMW specifically said they eliminated turbo lag. So, if they eliminated it, we should not experience it. The tubos should kick in right away, not seconds later like what is happening. There doesnt rneed to be calculations and measurements taken to determine it.. Either there is lag or there is not, doesnt matter to what degree. and if there is then the claim they are making is false. I thiunk this approach will leave less grey area for anyone to try and work in.

As always this is the opionion of someone who has spent time in fully licensed psychiatric hospitals so I put it out there as something to ponder, not as one who has any legal degree.
Nice post and funny.

When this first arose, I thought some action against BMW was warranted and could work. Speaking informally with some knowledgeable people I know suggests otherwise (strongly). The bottom line is the legal system cars about safety and reliability, and, rarely, MAJOR performance gaps, like 250HP when you say 300. Just a regurgitation of informed opinion, but on hearing the reasoning, I agree with it [I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv].

I now think the make-noise approach is best. This community can help by making sure everyone knows the variety of contact points at BMW, etc. BMW would have more perceived risk from losing customers than a legal action.

That's all for now..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #352
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Quote:
It really isnt a matter of the amount of torque produced. I think that the issue of turbo lag is the strongest claim anyone would have. Torque and HP, and other measurements will vary from car to car no matter what, but BMW specifically said they eliminated turbo lag. So, if they eliminated it, we should not experience it. The tubos should kick in right away, not seconds later like what is happening. There doesnt rneed to be calculations and measurements taken to determine it.. Either there is lag or there is not, doesnt matter to what degree. and if there is then the claim they are making is false. I thiunk this approach will leave less grey area for anyone to try and work in.

As always this is the opionion of someone who has spent time in fully licensed psychiatric hospitals so I put it out there as something to ponder, not as one who has any legal degree.
Nice post and funny.

When this first arose, I thought some action against BMW was warranted and could work. Speaking informally with some knowledgeable people I know suggests otherwise (strongly). The bottom line is the legal system cares about safety and reliability, and, rarely, MAJOR performance gaps, like 250HP when you say 300. Just a regurgitation of informed opinion, but on hearing the reasoning, I agree with it [I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv].

I now think the make-noise approach is best. This community can help by making sure everyone knows the variety of contact points at BMW, etc. BMW would have more perceived risk from losing customers than a legal action.

That's all for now..
Appreciate 0