E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wedge Flash + Procede= 22psi stock turbos & 15 degrees advance/ Holy Sh*&t !

08-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #23
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im not biased since we carry Jb4,Cobb and Vishnu products.

Let me start by saying Wedge is a friend and i personally think he is a really good tuner.

My personal opinion is that if you were running conservative timing and boost you do not need to view all 6 cylinders, but when you are pushing you car near its limit( 21 psi ) then logging all 6 cylinders is a must.

Now that you backed down on boost, you are probably fine just logging one cylinder as long as you do not got too crazy with your timing advance and you keep running with e60 and 93 (hopefully you have an inline fuel pump)
I have an inline pump and a flex fuel meter to ensure I have enough corn
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #24
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

This just sounds like a "bomb" tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserN54 View Post
So what? All 5 have new injectors, coils,and plugs. How off could they be?
New Injectors, Coils & Plugs are important pieces, but that does not mean that adjacent cylinders are not experiencing excessive timing corrections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
It sure is funny how all of a sudden now that the JB4 has the 6 cyl capability its now life or death to have 6 cyl timing. Up until a month or two ago it was simply a nice peace of insurance to have while you were pushing your engines for all they were worth without
Funny how things change with time.... Not too long ago people didn't think flash tunes were necessary and were running 22 psi on RBs with Stock Fueling & Timing

Quote:
I have an inline pump and a flex fuel meter to ensure I have enough corn
That doesn't guarantee you are achieving/maintaing the proper fuel target for your HPFP & LPFP, and Lambda/AFR.

Results >
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #25
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post

That doesn't guarantee you are achieving/maintaing the proper fuel target for your HPFP & LPFP, and Lambda/AFR.
What?

How does per cylinder timing advance/knock logging have anything to do with fuelling or AFR every tune has this ability not sure why you would even bring this up.

I sometimes wonder why people flame ken's tunes so bad. He isn't pushing the motors that hard without the owners consent. I don't think that is a kill tune aggressive yes but it's not OMG stop using that procede buy a JB4 worthy.

I personally think if your pushing a motor hard without per cylinder egt your asking for problems later but how many people have that on this platform.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #26
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by '___' View Post
To be fair, these cars were being tuned by JB+ and Procede rev 1 for 5 years before you joined this forum with very few, if any, blown motors.

Don't get me wrong, however, I am a huge proponent for being able to monitor each and every cylinder as that is THE safest way to push the car, but you do need to admit that it isn't the only way to have a safe and reliable tune on these cars as the DME is extremely fast and extremely smart. The knock detection on these cars has probably saved more than a few from going .
I'm not talking about Shiv or Terry blowing motors, I'm talking about Wedge aka supertooner.
I think you need to get all sides of the story before jumping to conclusions and spouting so called "fact". Yes it is true that one or two people running the WedgeFlash blew their motors but from my reading, one of them was because the owner's car was running like shite and he (the owner) decided to turn off knock detection on a pass against Wedge's recommendation.
      08-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #27
C.Pop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Your reading is a bit amiss. None the less, people who don't understand tuning arguing about tuning is... an interesting expenditure of energy. With no dog in this fight, I suggest anyone concerned about their tune to clear the slate, ignore 98% of what you read here, and start a slow basic process to understand the principles of the workings of a boosted internal combustion engine. Then do your own tune or find a guy that displays excellent working knowledge of all of these items and you can trust. They're rare.
      08-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #28
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
This just sounds like a "bomb" tune

I can and have logged AFR's and lambda routinely, along with fuel trims- I have been spot on with this tune for some time. This log was to monitor for throttle closure, so we could play with WDGC setting if necessary. As you know, you can only log so many things at once.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #29
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Pop View Post
Your reading is a bit amiss. None the less, people who don't understand tuning arguing about tuning is... an interesting expenditure of energy. With no dog in this fight, I suggest anyone concerned about their tune to clear the slate, ignore 98% of what you read here, and start a slow basic process to understand the principles of the workings of a boosted internal combustion engine. Then do your own tune or find a guy that displays excellent working knowledge of all of these items and you can trust. They're rare.
There are two blown motors out there- someone in Florida and someone in Texas. Both had significant hardware issues, but ran hard anyways while ignoring the signs. Indeed, as froop mentioned, one guy turned off knock detection. Wedge's tune was not the proximate cause of either motor going.

So, correct our misreading. Tell us about the other blown motors you know of other than the two I just mentioned. No speculation allowed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

So why do any of you think you can turn off "knock detection"?

Have you actually opened up the flash tables to see that it's a toggle called Misfire detection.....not knock detection?

Honestly...you guys are arguing over something that technically doesn't exist

Knock detection is a fundamental part of the DME's engine management and you cannot eliminate it, nor would you want to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #31
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post

Have you actually opened up the flash tables to see that it's a toggle called Misfire detection.....not knock detection?

Knock detection is a fundamental part of the DME's engine management and you cannot eliminate it, nor would you want to.
I'm unsure if you are serious. Knock is generally considered a misfire preignition is one type of misfire. You disable the misfire detection the dme will stop limping and you will have bad times.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #32
lukeperformance
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

We know it is an aggressive tune and the OP know it is an aggressive. He just want to share the result of how hard he can push his car. He never say that we should all join in the band wagon and push our car to breaking point. I really want to see the result of the aggressive tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #33
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeperformance View Post
We know it is an aggressive tune and the OP know it is an aggressive. He just want to share the result of how hard he can push his car. He never say that we should all join in the band wagon and push our car to breaking point. I really want to see the result of the aggressive tune .
Me too, as I missed the 4th of July spectacle.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #34
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I think it's cool, thanks for sharing OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #35
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I don't see any real results here.

A. You're missing all cylinders in the log
B. You're only logging one gear
Shift the car with all cylinders and see if it's still clean. 100% it won't be.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #36
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

lets see some 60-130 times or a 1/4 mile run. Does pushing this much boost make that much of a difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #37
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post
I'm unsure if you are serious. Knock is generally considered a misfire preignition is one type of misfire. You disable the misfire detection the dme will stop limping and you will have bad times.
I'm not suggesting they turn misfire detection off at all......see bold above

Misfires result when a cylinder fails to fire and a limp mode condition and injector shutdown ensue because when a cylinder misfires, the excess of unburned fuel entering the exhaust can overheat the catalytic converters.

Knock detection is a different sensor system altogether and results in progressive timing reduction by the DME....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #38
R.G.
Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

So you're only able to donate $20 because you have two young children and money can get tight then turn around and run your car that hard? I'm all for being an enthusiast but that doesn't sound right.
Make sure your pressing fast forward on doing general maintenance and planning ahead for future costs. Best of luck.
      08-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #39
HeavyMetalRocker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 6MT

2007 335i e90 6mt | Motiv 750 XR8267 | RB PCV | JB4 G5 | MHD Pump Flash | Walbro 255lph | VRSF CP & Tial BOV | NGK Plugs | Custom Side Exhaust | CxRacing FMIC | Spec 2+ & SSMFW | StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk Performance Pads | DEFIV Lockdown kit | Mtec V3 | Apex PS7s | 35/15% Llumar ceramic
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #40
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Wedge knows N54 really well.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #41
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalRocker View Post

HeavyMetalRocker is right.

I had a really clean log despite running this much boost and timing. I thought it was pretty cool so I posted it up. Some people thought it was interesting, but most just have something negative to say.

To clear up a few misconceptions:

1. We reduced the boost to 19, and running 22 was actually unintentional(on my side, since I was using Shiv's map on the procede- Wedge hadn't touched it). Either way, lots of people run 19-20lbs without issue (now I am speculating but I see logs like that all the time) I thought the fact that the stockers could hold that kind of boost was impressive nonetheless.

2. If its not the boost I am catching hell for, it must be the timing advance. The same timing advance others running Wedge's tune have been flamed for. And why? Because I own a procede rather than gods chosen one, the jb4, I can't log timing for all 6 cylinders- a feature Wedge helped develop, btw, and one which people have been tuning without for years without blowing up cars. Yes, I agree it would be ideal- more information always is. But the "bomb" talk is uncalled for sensationalism.

3. Many cars aren't mechanically up to running this aggressive of a tune- my car is, and I would never "drive through" an ongoing problem, like the guys with the blown motors did. That said, new coils, injectors, plugs, 02 sensors (all 4), lpfp, hpfp, etc all in the last year are part of why I am a tad broke at the moment. My car has 0 mechanical issues/ needs at the moment.

4. I am not totally unreceptive to feedback. If anyone has suggestions on what they would change, I will listen. I would love to log all 6 cylinders, but between the Procede and OFT, I don't think I can. Or am I wrong? As it sits (at 19 peak boost), Wedge feels its pretty safe. But if people really think he is wrong, please tell me why.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #42
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So what? All 5 have new injectors, coils,and plugs. How off could they be?
lol
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #43
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
HeavyMetalRocker is right.

I had a really clean log despite running this much boost and timing. I thought it was pretty cool so I posted it up. Some people thought it was interesting, but most just have something negative to say.

To clear up a few misconceptions:

1. We reduced the boost to 19, and running 22 was actually unintentional(on my side, since I was using Shiv's map on the procede- Wedge hadn't touched it). Either way, lots of people run 19-20lbs without issue (now I am speculating but I see logs like that all the time) I thought the fact that the stockers could hold that kind of boost was impressive nonetheless.

2. If its not the boost I am catching hell for, it must be the timing advance. The same timing advance others running Wedge's tune have been flamed for. And why? Because I own a procede rather than gods chosen one, the jb4, I can't log timing for all 6 cylinders- a feature Wedge helped develop, btw, and one which people have been tuning without for years without blowing up cars. Yes, I agree it would be ideal- more information always is. But the "bomb" talk is uncalled for sensationalism.

3. Many cars aren't mechanically up to running this aggressive of a tune- my car is, and I would never "drive through" an ongoing problem, like the guys with the blown motors did. That said, new coils, injectors, plugs, 02 sensors (all 4), lpfp, hpfp, etc all in the last year are part of why I am a tad broke at the moment. My car has 0 mechanical issues/ needs at the moment.

4. I am not totally unreceptive to feedback. If anyone has suggestions on what they would change, I will listen. I would love to log all 6 cylinders, but between the Procede and OFT, I don't think I can. Or am I wrong? As it sits (at 19 peak boost), Wedge feels its pretty safe. But if people really think he is wrong, please tell me why.
You're missing the point. Yes 3rd gear looks good one 1 cylinder. It's very possible the rest are taking a dump. However, once you shift, I guarantee all your cylinders are taking a dump because it's too aggressive. What does that mean? It means your car is losing power as soon as you shift.

I have 2 of my friends running Wedge's 15* timing map with 18-19psi. Their logs looked clean for 3rd gear. My map is 11* of timing and 18-19 psi. Except my logs are clean from 3rd gear to 5th gear with all 6 cylinders. Guess what the outcome was when we raced? They slightly pull off the initial jump, but as soon as they shifted I put 1-2 cars on them. It's better to have 6 cylinders steady at 10-11* than have 2 cylinders at 15* and 4 cylinders at 7-8*.

When your car pulls timing, you're losing power. If you're serious about tuning, you'll ditch the procede and get a JB4/Cobb so you can properly tune your car based on the whole story and don't just log 3rd gear. Log 3-4-5 so you can see how your car responds post-shift. That is if you care about 1/4 mile, mexico runs, and the track. If you're just in it for 3rd gear pulls then don't waste your time and enjoy whatever you have.

There hasn't been a single wedge flash that has broken any records. No 1/4 mile records and no dyno records. I wonder why? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #44
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SEC View Post
You're missing the point. Yes 3rd gear looks good one 1 cylinder. It's very possible the rest are taking a dump. However, once you shift, I guarantee all your cylinders are taking a dump because it's too aggressive. What does that mean? It means your car is losing power as soon as you shift.

I have 2 of my friends running Wedge's 15* timing map with 18-19psi. Their logs looked clean for 3rd gear. My map is 11* of timing and 18-19 psi. Except my logs are clean from 3rd gear to 5th gear with all 6 cylinders. Guess what the outcome was when we raced? They slightly pull off the initial jump, but as soon as they shifted I put 1-2 cars on them. It's better to have 6 cylinders steady at 10-11* than have 2 cylinders at 15* and 4 cylinders at 7-8*.

When your car pulls timing, you're losing power. If you're serious about tuning, you'll ditch the procede and get a JB4/Cobb so you can properly tune your car based on the whole story and don't just log 3rd gear. Log 3-4-5 so you can see how your car responds post-shift. That is if you care about 1/4 mile, mexico runs, and the track. If you're just in it for 3rd gear pulls then don't waste your time and enjoy whatever you have.

There hasn't been a single wedge flash that has broken any records. No 1/4 mile records and no dyno records. I wonder why? lol
Oh, I see. This is about whose tune is superior. Okay, you win. I don't have any dogs in that fight. That said, "You are losing power, JB4/Cobb is better" is a whole different story than "LOL Wedge tunes = timebomb."

At the moment I cannot afford to buy a JB4/Cobb. I have to work with what I have.
Appreciate 0