E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > **First Time Tuners** Start Here** Official Misfire Thread| Updated!

07-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #111
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Sparkplugs replaced every 25K miles?
Car is at bmw now. Either they will replace coils or plugs next. Running out of options.. might fix it myself this is getting annoying, my car has been in the shop more than I've driven it
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #112
ZTZ1010
Aficionado of All Things Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exzackt View Post
hey did you ever fix your misfire issues.. my car is having very similar problems
I thought we had figured it out until yesterday. Driving to my parents house from my apartment I got severe hesitation on acceleration which eventually triggered a misfire fault. Not sure what cylinder; will be testing today to recreate

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #113
rascalion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
Back in April I was having misfire issues on #6. BMW replaced all the plugs and injectors (I had already replaced the coilpack on #6). The problem went away for a short time. In the last few weeks I started getting some odd behavior. I brought it back in and was told there was still an issue with #6. End result, they are replacing the cylinder head. I should hopefully be getting my car tomorrow. Maybe after this fix it'll stay out of the shop for a few months

New car: 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium. I got old, married and was given a budget.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #114
Iamstig335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalion
Back in April I was having misfire issues on #6. BMW replaced all the plugs and injectors (I had already replaced the coilpack on #6). The problem went away for a short time. In the last few weeks I started getting some odd behavior. I brought it back in and was told there was still an issue with #6. End result, they are replacing the cylinder head. I should hopefully be getting my car tomorrow. Maybe after this fix it'll stay out of the shop for a few months
Are you stock or running a tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #115
rascalion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
I ran a tune after the plugs/injectors were replaced. BMW is sure the issue links back to work that was done on #6 prior to me owning the vehicle.

New car: 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium. I got old, married and was given a budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #116
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

UPDATE: installed new plugs and now car feels like its running much stronger. Hope it lasts
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #117
33FAF
bimmzz35
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
hey guys i need your help. yesterday while driving for about a 30 min i felt like my car was vibrating badly when i accelerated, so when i got the car to a stop, my idle was on about 800 to 900, usually its 700. anyway the next day i checked with gt1 and it gave me cylinder 5, so when i took out the coil from cylinder 5 there was oil on it so i took out the plug and there was oil too. so i cleaned both of them with carb cleaner and petrol, and put them back and still got the same misfire and the car is rough idling so i decided to swap coil #5 with coil #1 and i still got cylinder 5 misfire, so i swapped the plugs, and still it was showing cylinder 5. so after i gave up i went out to take the car for a drive and i realized a loss in power for sure and the car only vibrates with mild acceleration but when i go WOT the vibration goes away but then again i feel a loss in power. im guessing it could be the injector but then again where did the oil come from?? plzz help

correct me if im wrong. from my experience is that after cleaning the oil from the spark plug the car should work fine for a while, but nothing changed after cleaning it and swapping it .

and btw ive done service to my car 3 weeks ago, i changed all 6 spark plugs, valve cover, air filter, ac filter, injector cyl1 (new upgraded one), and oil. My car never had any issues before servicing.

thanks

i only have 40k miles 2007
      09-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #118
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by asped View Post
hey guys i need your help. yesterday while driving for about a 30 min i felt like my car was vibrating badly when i accelerated, so when i got the car to a stop, my idle was on about 800 to 900, usually its 700. anyway the next day i checked with gt1 and it gave me cylinder 5, so when i took out the coil from cylinder 5 there was oil on it so i took out the plug and there was oil too. so i cleaned both of them with carb cleaner and petrol, and put them back and still got the same misfire and the car is rough idling so i decided to swap coil #5 with coil #1 and i still got cylinder 5 misfire, so i swapped the plugs, and still it was showing cylinder 5. so after i gave up i went out to take the car for a drive and i realized a loss in power for sure and the car only vibrates with mild acceleration but when i go WOT the vibration goes away but then again i feel a loss in power. im guessing it could be the injector but then again where did the oil come from?? plzz help

correct me if im wrong. from my experience is that after cleaning the oil from the spark plug the car should work fine for a while, but nothing changed after cleaning it and swapping it .

and btw ive done service to my car 3 weeks ago, i changed all 6 spark plugs, valve cover, air filter, ac filter, injector cyl1 (new upgraded one), and oil. My car never had any issues before servicing.

thanks

i only have 40k miles 2007
My guess is yeah it could be a faulty injector, also if the car hasn't been carbon cleaned on the intake valves, this could also give you some misfires.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #119
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

I had a question about my misfires,

I was misfiring on cyl 1 and 3, and I recently had all my plugs, and injectors replaced as well as a carbon cleaning of my intake valves, so I figured it had to be coil related. The car only has 30k miles on it. So I swapped coil 1 with 2 and 3 with 4, and I thought the misfire would jump to cylinders 2 and 4, but it completely disappeared . I don't get it, is this a possibility of bad coils?

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #120
Mia335in00b
Rep
Drives: Black metallic

I just finished installing rev3 this past thursday and yesterday prior to work i threw the SES. it was misfire on cyclinders 2 & 3. So far i changed my plugs and the car is going good. My misfire was on start up, because with the code she as still running strong, it wasn't thrown while driving.

So praying it was just my plugs, car has 38k the tune in place for like 1k and the plugs looked like they were in need of a change.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #121
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Had misfires on cylinders 5 and 6. Already had brand new plugs, then changed the coil packs. Brought it to my mechanic and he couldn't figure it out, wasn't an injector. Took it to BMW and it was due to excessive carbon buildup. Took 4 weeks to get walnut shells up to Alaska lol. I finally get the car back today. Will update with how she runs.

Mods are JB4, AFE dual intake, Meth, catless downpipes and exhaust, ETS 5" FMIC. I had a new SA and he said "you need new downpipes, that's going to be $3,300 to fix" lmao. I said my downpipes are fine and if they were bad, it's protected under warranty... I miss my old SA..

Last edited by Wes335XI; 09-29-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #122
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
whats wrong with my car if I get a rough idle AND the "rotten egg" smell??
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #123
Mia335in00b
Rep

So i had replaced my plugs from my previous post, car was running strong and then today again on a cold start up it throws the CEL. Went to a buddies house and samething misfire cyclinder 2&3. So we swapped the coils so if it were to throw the code again with different cyclinders i know its my coils. Figured i'd do this so my SA doesn't give me a run around.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #124
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia335in00b
So i had replaced my plugs from my previous post, car was running strong and then today again on a cold start up it throws the CEL. Went to a buddies house and samething misfire cyclinder 2&3. So we swapped the coils so if it were to throw the code again with different cyclinders i know its my coils. Figured i'd do this so my SA doesn't give me a run around.
Coils are pretty cheap and easy to replace, for two coil packs by Bosch I paid about $100

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #125
Mia335in00b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Coils are pretty cheap and easy to replace, for two coil packs by Bosch I paid about $100
I know, but car still under warranty =D
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #126
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia335in00b View Post
Mine too just saying it was pretty annoying for me to go into the service dept 4 times for a misfire problem that I knew the answer to all along, and they would never replace the coils for some reason, so I just went ahead and did it myself.

Just a suggestion for if they don't solve your problem

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #127
Mia335in00b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia335in00b View Post
Mine too just saying it was pretty annoying for me to go into the service dept 4 times for a misfire problem that I knew the answer to all along, and they would never replace the coils for some reason, so I just went ahead and did it myself.

Just a suggestion for if they don't solve your problem
Cool beans! Thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #128
JonCo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

So my issues are...
  • Misfire in Cylinders 1-6.
  • Two 00000 codes unidentified
  • Rough cold start 7/10 times.
  • On cold starts car "sputters" for the first few minutes if left idling
  • When I start driving it sputters, up until I can get it running at ~5-10mph then it clears up and runs fine
  • WOT car in 2-3rd gear car goes into limp mode (misfire codes)

What I've had repaired/serviced:
  • New spark plugs
  • New injectors (Cyl 1-3, warranty would not cover all 6)
  • New injector DME flash
  • Replaced HPFP
  • One o2 sensor replaced (downstream)

Observations: These issues are more obvious when the JB4 is on, less obvious with it on map 0 but still present. Logs have been sent to Terry, no definite conclusion. Car at cruising speeds and modest acceleration runs without issues. Issues only at WOT and cold starts.

Car does run lean at WOT. Tailpipes have significant sut/carbon build up after the mentioned repairs. Tails pipes have started to discolor etc. This was not an "issue" before. Not sure what to take from that?

Suggestions? Is it possible that every single coil went bad at roughly the same time? I have never logged a boost leak code or fuel pressure code. I've been dealing with this issue for 3-4 months...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #129
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCo View Post
So my issues are...
  • Misfire in Cylinders 1-6.
  • Two 00000 codes unidentified
  • Rough cold start 7/10 times.
  • On cold starts car "sputters" for the first few minutes if left idling
  • When I start driving it sputters, up until I can get it running at ~5-10mph then it clears up and runs fine
  • WOT car in 2-3rd gear car goes into limp mode (misfire codes)

What I've had repaired/serviced:
  • New spark plugs
  • New injectors (Cyl 1-3, warranty would not cover all 6)
  • New injector DME flash
  • Replaced HPFP
  • One o2 sensor replaced (downstream)

Observations: These issues are more obvious when the JB4 is on, less obvious with it on map 0 but still present. Logs have been sent to Terry, no definite conclusion. Car at cruising speeds and modest acceleration runs without issues. Issues only at WOT and cold starts.

Car does run lean at WOT. Tailpipes have significant sut/carbon build up after the mentioned repairs. Tails pipes have started to discolor etc. This was not an "issue" before. Not sure what to take from that?

Suggestions? Is it possible that every single coil went bad at roughly the same time? I have never logged a boost leak code or fuel pressure code. I've been dealing with this issue for 3-4 months...
Have you tried WalNut Shell blasting? How many miles? It's a possibility that the build up is really bad

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #130
JonCo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have not done walnut blasting yet. I am at 51k miles. But ~20k of those miles were put in during the last year. I had to commute heavily for an old job.

This issue only just arose maybe 3k-4k miles ago and has been getting progessively worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #131
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
I have not done walnut blasting yet. I am at 51k miles. But ~20k of those miles were put in during the last year. I had to commute heavily for an old job.

This issue only just arose maybe 3k-4k miles ago and has been getting progessively worse.
well if you can reproduce this without JB4 in the car, i would do that route. Get the dealer to investigate it for you under CPO.

the dealer may cover walnut shell blasting to fix the issue. I have read on here that some guys got it done under CPO because of other complications. can't remember what they were.

i did my Walnut blasting around 42k I think, and it wasn't that bad, but my buddy did his at 52k and it was pretty bad.

you can try Walnut shell blasting and if that doesn't work, then it could be another thing.

I hope its not:
Camshaft rectangrings and cam bearing ledges were broken/worn. read second post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748784

this thread may be helpful as well.:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630121

its funny i got a P29CD misfire cylinder 1 today. Switch to a differ MAP and so far so good. I am going to start with the Coil if it comes back. Came up on a play Pro Tune MAP. lol

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #132
JonCo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42
Quote:

well if you can reproduce this without JB4 in the car, i would do that route. Get the dealer to investigate it for you under CPO.

the dealer may cover walnut shell blasting to fix the issue. I have read on here that some guys got it done under CPO because of other complications. can't remember what they were.

i did my Walnut blasting around 42k I think, and it wasn't that bad, but my buddy did his at 52k and it was pretty bad.

you can try Walnut shell blasting and if that doesn't work, then it could be another thing.

I hope its not:
Camshaft rectangrings and cam bearing ledges were broken/worn. read second post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748784

this thread may be helpful as well.:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630121

its funny i got a P29CD misfire cylinder 1 today. Switch to a differ MAP and so far so good. I am going to start with the Coil if it comes back. Came up on a play Pro Tune MAP. lol
Thanks! I appreciate your help. I'm trying a new shops tomorrow that only specializes in BMW and European cars. They have 2 master BMW technicians on staff and will charge my extended warranty for work performed. Hoping for the best!

I first started seeing misfires (the weren't strong enough to throw codes) after trying the auto tune map on the jb4. Since then it's been down hill.
Appreciate 0