E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best free air sub for 1'er

12-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Best free air sub for 1'er

We have brought a 130i (2008) as a run around. I want to install a sub in the rear deck. Cover it up with some acoustic cloth and just enjoy it. Can anyone recommend a set up? I don't fancy making a box beneath or anything.

Cue the audio Gods... Kaigoss? Taibanl?

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
We have brought a 130i (2008) as a run around. I want to install a sub in the rear deck. Cover it up with some acoustic cloth and just enjoy it. Can anyone recommend a set up? I don't fancy making a box beneath or anything.

Cue the audio Gods... Kaigoss? Taibanl?

What's your budget? What kind of amp are you planning to use? How much space do you have in the 1er rear deck? Can you put a 10 or a 12 in there?

Assuming you have ruled out the ski-pass, which would be the better place for the IB sub, you also need to think about how you want to mount it to the rear deck. Top mounting requires you to mount the sub flange on top of (above) the rear deck, so acoustic cloth will not hide the sub. I believe Makkan did it that way with a 12W7. Here is the link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775047

You can also bottom mount, which would be more stealthy, but in that case you probably need to install a large baffle against the bottom of the rear shelf and make sure all the holes are sealed. Then you need to cut a large enough hole to allow the sound wave to go through to the cabin and somehow make it look "nice" on top. Not easy, but can be done.

Depending on how much space you have and your budget, I can make some recommendations on the sub, and the amp if you want.
      12-29-2014, 04:38 AM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

So the 1'er has a hi-fi set up which is easier to work with.
The budget be £600 (around $900).
I reckon it can take two 6" subs and would prefer to undermount to make it a stealthy finish. I'd be be happy with one if it is enough.

I did a stealth shelf on my VW Polo years back with two custom made DLS 7x10's for a 'SQ' but this time a tad bit of mid-bass is required. I later replaced them with Genesis Free Air Subs (pbx69) and parted with the car. The Genesis were pretty good but obviously did not drop low. Then on an Audi S3 I mounted a 6" w3v3 in the boot wall which sounded amazing. The trouble is that I think the 6" JL would be a tad pricey and I know that I can do better than JL in this case.

Thanks
Appreciate 0