E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FrankenTurbo

Closed Thread

02-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #45
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
The stock exhaust is not a restriction as long you you take care of the downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #46
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo View Post
Lastly, it has been a busy week and so I have not had the chance to read the many responses posted here. I will do so shortly, and reply back where I think responses will benefit the thread.
I am glad that Doug doesn't read responses
      02-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #47
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:

So with careful application of customized boost mapping, there is more power to be had on stock hardware. But I feel the car has reached the hardware limits point where testing of upgraded parts can start. Clearly the intercooling is candidate #1.
FINALLY! It's about time for someone to come in here and explain why you actually need an FMIC before down pipes. Thank you, and please don't respond to the retarded comments posted by other members/vendors. The only thing they are good at is arguing on the internet instead of making a quality product.
Appreciate 6
      02-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #48
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlow5oh View Post
FINALLY! It's about time for someone to come in here and explain why you actually need an FMIC before down pipes. Thank you, and please don't respond to the retarded comments posted by other members/vendors. The only thing they are good at is arguing on the internet instead of making a quality product.
You could have had your answer 10x over if you had read literally any fmic review thread in the past 4 years. The main thing people talk about is the decrease in iat's and A broader powerband.

Although I do appreciate the tact in Doug's thread, it is a bit remedial. [doug@frankenturbo](contact:260816) Perhaps consider posting info like this in a blog on your website and not a thread in which the main post includes the offering of what is essentially an unrelated product.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #49
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyaaron View Post
In Doug's defense, nothing he said was about announcing a product; he's just sharing his experience in feeling out the n54. There are much more useless threads on this forum that could be complained about. This thread should serve as a placeholder on troubleshooting and not just making an account and firing off whatever stupid thoughtless question pours out of your rectum- like so many other e90 thread starters.
What happened to this??? Why the 180, I am in complete agreement with the above post. This whole post has been about introducing his company, his R&D process with only a hint of a product. Once he gets to that point he will obviously make a post dedicated to his new turbo design for the N54

Quote:

Although I do appreciate the tact in Doug's thread, it is a bit remedial. [doug@frankenturbo](contact:260816) Perhaps consider posting info like this in a blog on your website and not a thread in which the main post includes the offering of what is essentially an unrelated product.
      02-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #50
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Garage List
The N55 community would be happy to have another turbo option if you get fed up with all the haters.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #51
Grand_hustle17
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Any dyno results. Honestly i look at most the graphs tuners post and have no clue what im looking at. Not a tuner and never really care to be one... So for me seeing graphs i dont know really doesnt sell me on turbos. Power numbers, dyno curves and reliability is what sells me personally
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #52
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM3 View Post
The N55 community would be happy to have another turbo option if you get fed up with all the haters.

Not until we can find a reliable one that can last over 15K haha
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #53
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
N54 guys get all the best stuff first
Don't forget we are all hungry for a single turbo upgrade and most of us can't even afford it brother
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #54
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
What happened to this??? Why the 180, I am in complete agreement with the above post. This whole post has been about introducing his company, his R&D process with only a hint of a product. Once he gets to that point he will obviously make a post dedicated to his new turbo design for the N54
Yeah, that was my fault. When I first read it I totally missed the part about the turbo announcement. With the high bar he set for the turbo offering, the information he is posting is so remedial that it hurts; hence my recommendation for a blog post instead of this thread. Better yet, a different thread would suffice.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #55
dawhiz
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi RB/inlets/etc

I'm sure plenty of people appreciate what he is detailing.
Appreciate 4
      02-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #56
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3nch2 View Post
I agree with you Tim. More information is never a bad thing. I've been on this forum for awhile, and sometimes I'm still amazed at this community.

I think we've been spoiled with the aftermarket on this car. So many products and a lot of competition that has driven prices down making it fairly easy to make big power numbers.

Everyone wants results and wants it now. I don't see any issue with a vendor coming into the community and letting us help influence the direction.

I can honestly say I'm excited to see what comes of this. If nothing else it should be another option for those looking to upgrade that should be different than some of the others on the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhiz View Post
I'm sure plenty of people appreciate what he is detailing.
I can appreciate the information as well; however, it is not related to the turbo he said he was going to offer. This is why people are frustrated.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #57
fr3nch2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I can appreciate the information as well; however, it is not related to the turbo he said he was going to offer. This is why people are frustrated.
You are right. It doesnt relate. NOW. But didn't you ever think that all these posts and information gather may lead to WHY he chose the turbo route that he did?

All of you guys keep saying you want to see the turbo option, but I can guarantee as soon as he announces it, if it's different than what's on the market you are going to question why.

MAYBE (just speculation here), he chose this route to give you the justification before the question is asked. It is possible that he's letting you get a look into his R&D process which led him to the route he decided on...

Just my .02
      02-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #58
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3nch2 View Post
You are right. It doesnt relate. NOW. But didn't you ever think that all these posts and information gather may lead to WHY he chose the turbo route that he did?

All of you guys keep saying you want to see the turbo option, but I can guarantee as soon as he announces it, if it's different than what's on the market you are going to question why.

MAYBE (just speculation here), he chose this route to give you the justification before the question is asked. It is possible that he's letting you get a look into his R&D process which led him to the route he decided on...

Just my .02
Choosing a turbo route is a very physics intensive process. Installing a jb4, recording and interpolating data on the decrease in time throughout rpm sweeps, and figuring out how to log timing on all 6 cylinders is a series of events that require no engineering, physics, or turbo-related background.

but like jeff said, this is all a plot to increase interest. This is all good, however, the product he plans on offering is one that has the capacity to sell itself. The market for it is wide open with Tony being the only person soon to offer a turbo upgrade that addresses the issue of the stock turbine housing. CP-e is, well, a non-factor at this point. Tony's will probably be priced in the area of 4k-6k. Taking a quick look at Frankenturbo's very poorly designed website (please modernize your html/css it looks like it's from 1997) their offered "f23" option already exists in a few different flavors- very cheap flavors, I might add, that include a manifold. The claimed "f23bi" will probably utilize their existing chra's, and custom housings will be created; making these turbo's substantially cheaper (around 2k-3k cheaper). This would place Franken turbo in it's own niche and allow them to rack in customers who don't want to break the bank. This is all speculation though, so... yeah.

Last edited by bigdaddyaaron; 02-09-2016 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:47 AM   #59
doug@frankenturbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: the world mad with turbo-osity

Thank you to those of you who have been reading and posting into this thread. And I am grateful to the folks who know of me and my company for their praise.

I also appreciate the tuning advice. It's clear to me that the consensus is to incorporate the MHD flash-loading app into the process. Last week one person who contacted me directly more or less walked me through the items to buy.

My initial attitude was not very enthusiastic. Another device to buy? More expense and complication? This did not bode well for the kind of customers I generally seek. They want it simple and at a good price.

But I changed my attitude when I realized what a number of you already know: the hardware costs for interfacing with these cars are ridiculously low. I had no idea you can get a 7" Android tablet for less than $50. And the flash cable to pair it with was even less.

So that leaves the complex versus simple. I'm a Mac user so operating any Android device was from the very bottom of the learning curve. But the tablet easily connected with our WiFi network and within a few minutes was registered on Google's App store. With those things done, I was pleased to find a very "Apple-like" user experience getting the MHD app downloaded. Then I navigated to Burger Motorsports' link for their zipped library of MHD flash files.

So this was several steps. But for those price-resistant types, they really have no reason to complain. The tablet is cheap, the cable cheaper. The Android app software is a great deal and there are scads of flashable files. Many are free.

Wow.

So, I'm very impressed already.

As for the next steps, I need to familiarize myself with the library files I now have loaded to the tablet. The files are organized by vehicle series. Our test car is a late 2008 so the appropriate files are in the folder labeled "ije0s". Most of the files there don't apply. They're for bigger turbos or high octane fuels. But I do see one simply labeled "Pump". I've found data logs for it, and it appears to cause the engine's load calcs to go up, which in turn forces the timing advance down. This makes me think it's a file for quite high boost.

Seems like a good place to start.

Thx

Appreciate 3
      02-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #60
Grand_hustle17
Major
Rep

Im just here for the dyno lol
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #61
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I personally like this thread. When you're doing your logs, I assume it's on the street or do you have a dyno?
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #62
matthewo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Doug.

There are 2 types of MHD flashes. Ones that work with jb4 being the boost controller only, fuel, timing and all other things are transferred to the dme flash.

The other is flash only and it's recommended to remove the jb4 or set up the jb4 for logging and safety's only.

I recommend you download tuner pro software and get familiar with the bin files and the xdf defining files on the gethub directory that is kept up to date the forum thread is "xdf progress"

You will learn fast I am sure, I had a back ground in hp tunes with gm before I dove in to this 6 months ago but it comes easy if you take the time to learn it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #63
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Thank you to those of you who have been reading and posting into this thread. And I am grateful to the folks who know of me and my company for their praise.

I also appreciate the tuning advice. It's clear to me that the consensus is to incorporate the MHD flash-loading app into the process. Last week one person who contacted me directly more or less walked me through the items to buy.

My initial attitude was not very enthusiastic. Another device to buy? More expense and complication? This did not bode well for the kind of customers I generally seek. They want it simple and at a good price.

But I changed my attitude when I realized what a number of you already know: the hardware costs for interfacing with these cars are ridiculously low. I had no idea you can get a 7" Android tablet for less than $50. And the flash cable to pair it with was even less.

So that leaves the complex versus simple. I'm a Mac user so operating any Android device was from the very bottom of the learning curve. But the tablet easily connected with our WiFi network and within a few minutes was registered on Google's App store. With those things done, I was pleased to find a very "Apple-like" user experience getting the MHD app downloaded. Then I navigated to Burger Motorsports' link for their zipped library of MHD flash files.

So this was several steps. But for those price-resistant types, they really have no reason to complain. The tablet is cheap, the cable cheaper. The Android app software is a great deal and there are scads of flashable files. Many are free.

Wow.

So, I'm very impressed already.

As for the next steps, I need to familiarize myself with the library files I now have loaded to the tablet. The files are organized by vehicle series. Our test car is a late 2008 so the appropriate files are in the folder labeled "ije0s". Most of the files there don't apply. They're for bigger turbos or high octane fuels. But I do see one simply labeled "Pump". I've found data logs for it, and it appears to cause the engine's load calcs to go up, which in turn forces the timing advance down. This makes me think it's a file for quite high boost.

Seems like a good place to start.

Thx

Glad you discovered MHD (pardon the inevitable sarcasm haha).

From what I highlighted- are we to expect anything thats simple and priced well, and most importantly RELIABLE? The MHD app is pretty much all of those, hence the success. Also it seems to do a better job at monitoring parameters than a piggyback.

Also I hope you do realize that the reason Android felt more Apple like, is because the new IOS is infact emulating Android

At this point I'd actually like to read more about your plans for Turbos/Hardware. Discussing Software isn't going to yield much, its fluid, and can be molded to suite whatever hardware you develop. True RND would to pull one of the cars that has current aftermarket turbos, and figure out why they failed, even with claims of being stronger than OEM, and being designed for double the power. Turned out even with the rattling wastegate problem on OEM turbos, they've pretty much outlasted all other aftermarket turbos. What gives?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #64
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Pretty interesting to see the discovery of a platform documented and in journal form. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 02-26-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 3
      02-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #65
Grand_hustle17
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Pretty interesting to see the discovery of a platform documented and in journal form.
Lmfao. For real.. Like we have to wait until the journal catches up to present times before we get any progression i guess.. See you guys a few pages down.. Im officially unsubscribing. Went hexon just now. Not worth going through the past to wait
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:52 AM   #66
doug@frankenturbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: the world mad with turbo-osity

Before tinkering with the DME mapping, I wanted to cover off a hardware-limits question: how much back-pressure does the stock exhaust system generate? To answer that question, we plumbed a pressure signal line into housing of one of the forward cats.

Pix of the process:

Back-pressures peaked at nearly 8psi. That is pretty considerable! For a look at the boost versus back-pressures, here is a video:

Based on our testing of pre-turbine pressures in other platforms, I'd guess the exhaust manifold pressures are only about 30psi at this boost level. So 7+psi of downstream back-pressure is a handicap for the turbines. It looks as though upgraded downpipes are unavoidable at even this modest performance level.

Appreciate 3
Closed Thread