E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ordered the AA Xede!

04-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ordered the AA Xede!

My turbo-tuner has served me well, but I’ve caught the bug for more power and its time to upgrade.

After some research on here and talking with vendors, I’ve decided the AA/Xede is the best option for me. The price is great, the performance is awesome, and I like the feeling of working with larger companies like AA and Chip Torque. It also didn’t hurt that they could ship it right away.

During my research I downloaded the XMAP Xede software from http://www.xede.com.au/ and I’m pretty impressed with it. I’m not sure if AA allows you to modify their maps yet but this software allows you to build your own maps and load/unload existing maps to the Xede. You can also rig in cool features like water/alky injection and run them through this program.

Anyway I’m looking forward to pounding some PROCede cars at German Invasion in May.

If anyone is interested I have the turbo-tuner up for sale. If gave me approx 30rwhp with no ill effects, and was a snap to install. I took a few passes at Irwindale with it and ran 8.44 on the stock runflats, which is around a 13.00 in the 1/4. Pretty good for the price and ease of install.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
My turbo-tuner has served me well, but I’ve caught the bug for more power and its time to upgrade.

After some research on here and talking with vendors, I’ve decided the AA/Xede is the best option for me. The price is great, the performance is awesome, and I like the feeling of working with larger companies like AA and Chip Torque. It also didn’t hurt that they could ship it right away.

During my research I downloaded the XMAP Xede software from http://www.xede.com.au/ and I’m pretty impressed with it. I’m not sure if AA allows you to modify their maps yet but this software allows you to build your own maps and load/unload existing maps to the Xede. You can also rig in cool features like water/alky injection and run them through this program.

Anyway I’m looking forward to pounding some PROCede cars at German Invasion in May.

If anyone is interested I have the turbo-tuner up for sale. If gave me approx 30rwhp with no ill effects, and was a snap to install. I took a few passes at Irwindale with it and ran 8.44 on the stock runflats, which is around a 13.00 in the 1/4. Pretty good for the price and ease of install.
Looking forward to seeing your results with the AA xede
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:

How long did you have it and what are you asking for it?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
i just gave in and purchased the turbo tuner myself which should be here within the next hour or 2 but im also thinking about moving up to the AA xede setup... we'll see
      04-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

The TT is pretty cool, you might not want to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

great choice Terry, I also ordered the AA xede this morning. Cant wait to get it... Maybe we can both meet up and install the xede's together?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hey sounds good. I'm over in Simi Valley, right down the 118.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You guys can lick each other's pussies while you're at it. Just kidding...easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
lol your video is one of the corniest things I've ever seen. "Time for light speed"
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
e92law
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e70

Quote:
lol your video is one of the corniest things I've ever seen. "Time for light speed"
They are busting on that video on tripleplate.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #12
Raider
Panties Sniffer
Rep
Drives: Stealthy 335Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92law View Post
They are busting on that video on tripleplate.com.

haha dude, the parody video someone made of him was fucking hilarious...he kept saying light speed over and over in the most sarcastic tone ever...

Drewko, time to delete the vid on Youtube, create another screen name here and start over...
      04-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:

Hi Terry

I'd like to understand your reasons going the AA route. I read a lot of your 335 FI postings.

A short time ago you promoted the TT to the community. Everybody here knows what it basicly is and what it does. Provides nice power gains at a nice price.

We all know that the PROcede ( yes, I am a PROcede guy and have good reasons for this ) uses improved hardware compared to the XEDE. Faster CPU, more I/O's. PROceded 335i's surpassed various reliability tests ( 12h race, Shiv's car, growing customer experience shows no defects at all up to now ... ).

Why you decided to buy the AA ?

- brand ?
- price ?
- availability of more conservative maps ?
- delivery time ?

AA has great products. When the time comes to decide, facts join in and will get important factors. We know a lot about the PROcede, we know that the XEDE is at least one hardware generation behind. Any software ( in this case engine tuning ) implementation is highly dependent on hardware capabilities.

Please let me know about your rationals.

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers
Eugen

Last edited by e.n335; 04-20-2007 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
^ I was just wondering the same thing to myself.... seems like you have a vendetta against Shiv. I respect both AA and Vishnu, and think that they both offer great products at a reasonable price. I think that either way is a good choice, but I would like to know also what made you go the AA route? I have always liked AA products, but as far as the xede/procede debate goes I tend to favor Shiv's products for a few reasons that i'll save for another thread. Congrats on the AA XEDE, have fun with it and be safe. I expect to see a full review from you also.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Hi Terry

I'd like to understand your reasons going the AA route. I read a lot of your 335 FI postings.

A short time ago you promoted the TT to the community. Everybody here knows what it basicly is and what it does. Provides nice power gains at a nice price.

Also we all know that the PROcede ( yes, I am a PROcede guy and have good reasons for this ) uses improved hardware compared to the XEDE. Faster CPU, more I/O's. PROceded 335i's surpassed various reliability tests ( 12h race, Shiv's car, growing customer experience shows no defects at all up to now ... ).

Why you decided to buy the AA ?

- brand ?
- price ?
- availability of more conservative maps ?
- delivery time ?

AA has great products. When the time comes to decide, facts join in and will get important factors. We know a lot about the PROcede, we know that the XEDE is at least one hardware generation behind. Any software ( in this case engine tuning ) implementation is highly dependent on hardware capabilities.

Please let me know about your rationals.

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers
Eugen
Various reasons went in to the choice to give AA/XEde a shot, but here are a few:

1) Availability. I placed the order and they shipped it the same day. I can’t imagine waiting months or even weeks like some of you guys.

2) Support. I know Shiv is a great tuner but the XEde is supported by its manufacturer, AA, and numerous other shops. I can download the XMAP software and play around with maps myself if I like. All the technical information is readily available on XEde’s website for adding on the alky system, etc. With the procede I felt like I’d be dealing with a one man show. When the next hot car comes along Shiv might move along and leave us hanging. I don't want to rely on Shiv to release the software that allows me to change maps.

3) Price. The AA/XEde intro price is much lower, and since I’m in CA I’d also have to pay $120 extra in sales tax on the procede. It’s almost 30% cheaper.

4) I don’t like the idea of the device being on all the time. It should only be on when the car/ECU is active. Just something that would drive me crazy about the procede.

5) I’m not convinced the CPU is faster or that a faster CPU matters, I’m not convinced the extra I/Os matter (to me), and I’m not optimistic about this “launch control” concept. In short I’m not convinced the procede is really any better as configured for the 335. Since I haven’t used both (or either) this is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #16
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:

I'll be looking forward to seeing your views too.
FYI, don't know if you'll be "pounding some PROcede cars" at German Invasion, as per a recent AA Xede dyno sheet posted by someone other than AA, the AA Xede is making about the same power on 93 Octane as the old v1.2 software in the PROcede was making on 91 Octane.
With the new v1.4 software the PROcede is making even more power and with 93 Octane, the AA Xede is probably making 8-10 hp less.
You also better hope the v2.0 of the PROcede is not out by German Invasion either.

Anyway, you made a great choice for your personal needs.
I wish I would have my car for German Invasion, but my sedan is going bye-bye this week and I won't have my Coupe by then yet.
I'll be there, if I can, as a spectator.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #17
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Various reasons went in to the choice to give AA/XEde a shot, but here are a few:

1) Availability. I placed the order and they shipped it the same day. I can’t imagine waiting months or even weeks like some of you guys.

2) Support. I know Shiv is a great tuner but the XEde is supported by its manufacturer, AA, and numerous other shops. I can download the XMAP software and play around with maps myself if I like. All the technical information is readily available on XEde’s website for adding on the alky system, etc. With the procede I felt like I’d be dealing with a one man show. When the next hot car comes along Shiv might move along and leave us hanging. I don't want to rely on Shiv to release the software that allows me to change maps.

3) Price. The AA/XEde intro price is much lower, and since I’m in CA I’d also have to pay $120 extra in sales tax on the procede. It’s almost 30% cheaper.

4) I don’t like the idea of the device being on all the time. It should only be on when the car/ECU is active. Just something that would drive me crazy about the procede.

5) I’m not convinced the CPU is faster or that a faster CPU matters, I’m not convinced the extra I/Os matter (to me), and I’m not optimistic about this “launch control” concept. In short I’m not convinced the procede is really any better as configured for the 335. Since I haven’t used both (or either) this is just my opinion.
Hi Terry

Thank you for reply.

1-3) is fine and depend on your demands.
4) Vishnu does this to support the ECU with sensor data thus it performs random checks on sensors even when the car is shut off.
5) CPU performance matters, it allows more granularity in real-time processing and offers better & smoother integration of the tuning. The # of I/O's matter too, additional functionality included in new firmware releases will need those additional I/O's.

I think you will enjoy the AA/XEde. Please keep us informed.

Cheers
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #18
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Thx Terry. Give us a report when you get the AA XEDE installed. I'm sure many of us would like to hear that. I'll stay with my TT for now.
      04-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #19
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I'll be looking forward to seeing your views too.
FYI, don't know if you'll be "pounding some PROcede cars" at German Invasion, as per a recent AA Xede dyno sheet posted by someone other than AA, the AA Xede is making about the same power on 93 Octane as the old v1.2 software in the PROcede was making on 91 Octane.
With the new v1.4 software the PROcede is making even more power and with 93 Octane, the AA Xede is probably making 8-10 hp less.
You also better hope the v2.0 of the PROcede is not out by German Invasion either.

1) Peak HP or Torq doesnt mean Procede will make your car faster than the AA xede. Its the area below the line that makes the difference. (Peak hp/torq can drop off really quickly thus area is more important)
*keep in mind everyone thats dyno'd a AA xede did it in 90+ temps with shit load of humidity, factor that into the lower graphs for AA xede.

2) Lets say the AA xede is 10hp or 10 lbs torq less than Procede. Is that that 10hp/torq worth the $300 or $400 extra?? (CA buyers)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #20
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
LOL. Fukin' hysterical!!!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #21
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
1) Peak HP or Torq doesnt mean Procede will make your car faster than the AA xede. Its the area below the line that makes the difference. (Peak hp/torq can drop off really quickly thus area is more important)
*keep in mind everyone thats dyno'd a AA xede did it in 90+ temps with shit load of humidity, factor that into the lower graphs for AA xede.

2) Lets say the AA xede is 10hp or 10 lbs torq less than Procede. Is that that 10hp/torq worth the $300 or $400 extra?? (CA buyers)

1. True about the temps, but there are correction factors for the dynos.
And because his stock HP numbers pretty much mirror exactly what stock HP numbers have been on 335i's at Harman, it appears the correction factors have been adjusted for the difference.
As for power, yes, I've already pointed out peak power is only one aspect.
But I've looked at this post and it's dyno:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57533

And then look at mine also on a dynojet (post #13 of the thread has my dyno results. Look at the green one which is 93 Octane just like the AA Xede's were testing on. And this was with only 5-10 minutes to let the PROcede adjust to the 93 Octane and after 10 runs in 40 minutes so the car was quite hot):

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55887

It's hard to compare exactly since once again the AA Xede dyno shows MPH instead of rpms.
But look at the power curve especially near redline, the AA Xede clearly drops off in power more and faster than the PROcede.
Also, keep in mind, my car is an AUTO.
The AA Xede car in the dyno is a manual.
Manual PROcede cars dyno about 8-10 HP more.

2. To have the superior product (newer and better technology) in my $48K car, yes.

The AA Xede is a very good product to be sure. But let's face it, if you had the choice back in 2006 of buying the perfectly good brand new BMW 330i or spending just a bit more for the 335i which would make more sense?
That same analogy could still be used for current 330i owners.
If they were offered to get out of their loans/leases and get into a new 335i and spend only $30-50 more a month, even though their 2006 330i is a wonderful piece of machinery, don't you think many would choose to upgrade?
That's my point between the Xede and the PROcede.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #22
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
haha dude, the parody video someone made of him was fucking hilarious...he kept saying light speed over and over in the most sarcastic tone ever...

Drewko, time to delete the vid on Youtube, create another screen name here and start over...
LOL...that guy was hysterical. But, on another note, his Audi is sooooooooooo fukin' slow! I guess his parody might have another undertone....maybe he wishes he had a PROcede 335i.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0