E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMWhat Carly Killed Lighting System

09-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
directorusa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

BMWhat Carly Killed Lighting System

I'm not sure anyone else has had problems with BMW Carly, but I've been having issues with it ever since I received it. And yes, I have their Carly bluetooth adapter.
But, as the title says, my lighting system (FRM in the app) has failed while I was loading from the Carly app. I simply wanted to change the turn signal blinks back from 1 blink to 3 blinks (I actually never changed this in the app - it apparently changed it on its own when I loaded it the 1st time). And that is when I got the error message and practically none of the electronic components work (windows, interior lighting, etc.).
I tried to do a backup but the app keeps giving me a failure to communicate with the FRM. I disconnected the negative battery over night with no success and the battery is fully charged.

Has this happened to anyone?
Attached Images

Last edited by directorusa; 09-27-2015 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by directorusa
I'm not sure anyone else has had problems with BMW Carly, but I've been having issues with it ever since I received it. And yes, I have their Carly bluetooth adapter.
But, as the title says, my lighting system (FRM in the app) has failed while I was loading from the Carly app. I simply wanted to change the turn signal blinks back from 1 blink to 3 blinks (I actually never changed this in the app - it apparently changed it on its own when I loaded it the 1st time). And that is when I got the error message and practically none of the electronic components work (windows, interior lighting, etc.).
I tried to do a backup but the app keeps giving me a failure to communicate with the FRM. I disconnected the negative battery over night with no success and the battery is fully charged.

Has this happened to anyone?
Sounds like you may have to do a NFS emergency flash.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849434
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

It won't help, FRM is fried, trust me.

I had the same problem with FRM3 twice.
You can buy a used one and code it to your car, it's the cheapest way.
      09-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
directorusa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
It won't help, FRM is fried, trust me.

I had the same problem with FRM3 twice.
You can buy a used one and code it to your car, it's the cheapest way.
Was it due to the Carly app?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Probably not app specific. It can happen when performing any coding with any tool. FRM seems to be very susceptible to getting bricked however.

As cryptomit says, used FRM3 will be fine. But I would be careful. I see many FRM eBay for sale which are damaged themselves. Best to go to reputable breakers and grab a working one. In my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
directorusa
Enlisted Member
Rep

There has got to be a way to identify if the module is truly bad or just needs programming/reset/reflashed.
I cannot imagine the module just frying itself and there be no protection circuits in place. This does not sound logical to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There has got to be a way to identify if the module is truly bad or just needs programming/reset/reflashed.
I cannot imagine the module just frying itself and there be no protection circuits in place. This does not sound logical to me.
If you cannot communicate with the module then how can it be reflashed?

Only by taking it and writing direct to the chip could you restore communication.

You are welcome to try BMW Standard Tools + DCAN cable or ISTA + ICOM But if the module is not responding due to boot loader corrupted or such problem then it won't help.

In my experience, people with this problem have a bricked FRM. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

I have spoken about this issue to a BMW technician before. It's possible the module is stuck in bootloader mode and expecting a flash from winkfp. But I am 99% sure this is not your problem.

This can be remedied by removing the module and using a bench power supply then connecting directly KCAN. Then check comms again with tool32. But again, I don't think this will help you.

I would resign yourself to ordering a new module asap.

Alternatively if you have some electronics skills or know someone that does you can use XPROG to erase eeprom (set size to 4096bytes) the find a eeprom dump suitable online and write it back.

However you will need to desolder the chip. These FRMs use protected Freescale HC12 and cannot be programmed on the board.

If you can't do the above, maybe contact some ECU doctor? I can supply you with FRM dumps.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
directorusa
Enlisted Member
Rep

That is all greek to me. I guess I will have to start shopping for a new module. Meanwhile, we need to get the word out about this happening as I would liked to have known this was a possibility before hand.

And of course BMWhat Carly will refuse having anything to do with it - even though it was their device and their app that has caused it. Lets see what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Most likely could be the case, but a "free" attempt couldn't hurt the situation any further. Just in case it's able to remedy the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

I have been seeing more and more people brick their FRM with the Carly app.

Coding should not brick a module. Even if the process is interrupted, you should still be able to connect and default the module.

I suspect the Carly app is causing these failures.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #12
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Was your car on while coding?

I have seen cases where my car would act weird if coded without fully starting the car.

I have coded features on and off at least 100 times..no problem what so ever
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
I have been seeing more and more people brick their FRM with the Carly app.

Coding should not brick a module. Even if the process is interrupted, you should still be able to connect and default the module.

I suspect the Carly app is causing these failures.
How many people have you seen with problems relating to Carley? I used the app and coded everything I wanted to fine, but after reading this I am wondering if I should continue coding with it in the future as they will be coming out with "enable dvd while driving" and "disable warning" soon.
      09-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

^^^
My FRM also was bricked by Carly.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
grussauto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

My FRM was bricked while coding, but it was due to a weak battery that dropped below 12v and the system shut down in the middle of writing the code. The engine was not running and I was surprised how fast the battery charge dropped. Long story short, I ended up replacing the battery as it was the original and just over 5 years old. I had many codes when I plugged Carly back in and found the FRM was dead. I went to an Indy shop and they hooked up their equipment and was unable to communicate with the FRM. I lost control over seats, windows, mirrors, turn signals and fog lights. I replaced it with a used one with the same part number and have everything back except mirrors, drivers seat and right side marker light. I have codes for both fog lights and the side marker light although both fog lights work. The FRM needs to be coded with my VIN but have not found a shop interested in trying as they worry it will mess up other ECU's. I have received some feedback that a used FRM will not allow coding of a new VIN like an instrument cluster will not allow changing the VIN. I don't necessarily blame Carly since my battery was weak as I haved coded my sons 2008 e92 and wifes 2010 Mini R55. I can code the used FRM settings, but no change in seat, mirrors and right side marker light. Waiting on a return call from another Indy with a BMW master tech to get their opinion if the used FRM can be flashed.
      09-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
directorusa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok. Finally got a response from Carly...

"f they haven't repaired it yet, you can actually do it yourself in about an hour.

We actually have some experience with this:
About a year ago we had the same issue with two FRMs (E90). We sent the defective control units for analysis to a specialized ECU development company in Switzerland. There they found out that the internal memory had a hardware failure which resulted in a boot-lock.
The error has nothing to do with the coding (it wasn’t even located in the coding memory), but was due to a broken memory unit which was responsible for part of the boot sector. The app cannot even access this part of the memory. The coding and diagnostics memory was still intact when we isolated it from the rest of the ECU.
Since the FRM (and also many other ECUs) have to be restarted to apply the settings, it looked as if the app had something to do with the broken FRM at first. However, because of this very reason the same would have happened via conventional PC-coding. You can actually find quite a couple of threads in many forums about broken FRMs after coding with PC.
You can actually compare this issue to a conventional PC:
If an error in the MBR (master boot record) happens, while your PC is running, there is no immediate effect. However, as soon as the PC is restarted (e.g. after an update) the PC doesn’t start anymore and shows a blue screen. It now looks like the update has caused the problem, even if in fact it is something completely else.

Since last year we talked with many professional coders and researched this issue on the internet and it seems that mainly FRM control units are affected by this bug. I've heard that BMW is very well aware of that problem and even had some callbacks for these FRM versions. We're already looking into this to find out which versions were called back, so we can identify them within the app itself."

I responded to see what the "1-hour" fix is and how. I will post with more news (fingers crossed).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

"f they haven't repaired it yet, you can actually do it yourself in about an hour.

About a year ago we had the same issue with two FRMs (E90). We sent the defective control units for analysis to a specialized ECU development company in Switzerland. There they found out that the internal memory had a hardware failure which resulted in a boot-lock.
The error has nothing to do with the coding (it wasn’t even located in the coding memory), but was due to a broken memory unit which was responsible for part of the boot sector. The app cannot even access this part of the memory. The coding and diagnostics memory was still intact when we isolated it from the rest of the ECU.
Since the FRM (and also many other ECUs) have to be restarted to apply the settings, it looked as if the app had something to do with the broken FRM at first. However, because of this very reason the same would have happened via conventional PC-coding. You can actually find quite a couple of threads in many forums about broken FRMs after coding with PC.
If an error in the MBR (master boot record) happens, while your PC is running, there is no immediate effect. However, as soon as the PC is restarted (e.g. after an update) the PC doesn’t start anymore and shows a blue screen. It now looks like the update has caused the problem, even if in fact it is something completely else.

Since last year we talked with many professional coders and researched this issue on the internet and it seems that mainly FRM control units are affected by this bug. I've heard that BMW is very well aware of that problem and even had some callbacks for these FRM versions. We're already looking into this to find out which versions were called back, so we can identify them within the app itself."

I responded to see what the "1-hour" fix is and how. I will post with more news (fingers crossed).
An excellent response. These guys are pros for guys who were initially hobbyists
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #18
grussauto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by directorusa View Post

Keep us posted. I will hold off on buying a new FRM for now...
      09-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
directorusa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nivermind... (apparently crossing fingers does not work)

Here is their reply...

"Must have mixed up your mail, sorry for the mistake.
Changing the FRM takes about an hour. You just need to find a replacement one.
You can either get a used one or a new one. Please let me know how I can help you :-)

Best regards from Munich"

What a let-down
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #20
directorusa
Enlisted Member
Rep

there is an add on ebay offering FRM3 repairs in Bulgaria by Softelectronic.com.

"We repair the following underwritten problems for BMW FRM3 Module:
- Software troubles

- Hardware troubles"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-FRM3-Mod...-/221612038625

Anyone have some insight on this as a DIY or is this way too involved with specialty equipment and not worth the time?
If the later, then does anyone know someone in the states that could repair FRM's instead of buying used and/or new and risk bricking again just to update to our individual car - since they are so susceptible to failure?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
How many people have you seen with problems relating to Carley? I used the app and coded everything I wanted to fine, but after reading this I am wondering if I should continue coding with it in the future as they will be coming out with "enable dvd while driving" and "disable warning" soon.
This is the 4th or 5th instance I have read about in the past month
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #22
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by directorusa View Post

In the 5-6 years I have been coding, I have never seen anyone brick their FRM like this on any of the coding forums.

I am interested to see where they are seeing/getting this info from
Appreciate 0