E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 alternator decoupler pulley

Closed Thread

01-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #23
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson335d View Post
I am going to discuss that with my buddy to see whats the next step on how to share the information and when is a good time.
Thanks.

I see the link I posted for that Toyota version was a 7 groove pulley and not a 6. da_trem posted a 6 grove Litens item, but looking on Litens site for that part number shows a lower lifespan (less than half) than the one I linked. Curious if that is due to the particular engine it's used on or something else within the specific design of that item?

Anyone know if a more simplified clutched only pulley has a longer lifespan than a decoupled version on a given application? The simpler clutched pulley still showed substantial benefit over the solid pulley on that video, and that was of course at full alternator load which would be a worst case situation.
Attached Images

01-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #24
da_trem
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Guys, check out that one. That might be good.

(I removed my stock pulley and took measurments)

From litens;

2010 FORD C-MAX - 1.6 TDCi--- Supplier Part Number: 920007

For measurments purpose (but in OAP version)

http://www.zm.com.br/en/catalogo/produto/1-9501206

Last edited by da_trem; 01-08-2018 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
TDIwyse613.50
      01-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #25
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Perhaps I can diffuse the stalemate that you speak of Tuscon. I think people would like an option to "upgrade" to an OAD.

If you want money we can pay you something per kit sold with an OAD. If you want recognition we could have a blurb about the on our website along with the part for sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Maybe say a 90 day delay to test and validate.
I would certainly be hesitant to reference “validate” unless you are prepared to do it properly with a well defined protocol, sample size and aging considerations. Might take you a bit more than your car, one pulley and 90 days. Also, I understand that you may intend to seem significant with your discoveries and effort you had inserted into the “right” pulley. But this group had been built on sharing and helping each other. For example xHP transmission tune would not have been made possible without a significant community effort. What we know about deletes today would not be possible without early adopters sharing their ideas, succeses and failures. Without consideration for whom may try to capitalize and commercialize the idea. And even better, solutions are available for the community.
Appreciate 2
Deftronix169.50
dmanb2b2124.50
      01-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
I would certainly be hesitant to reference “validate” unless you are prepared to do it properly with a well defined protocol, sample size and aging considerations. Might take you a bit more than your car, one pulley and 90 days. Also, I understand that you may intend to seem significant with your discoveries and effort you had inserted into the “right” pulley. But this group had been built on sharing and helping each other. For example xHP transmission tune would not have been made possible without a significant community effort. What we know about deletes today would not be possible without early adopters sharing their ideas, succeses and failures. Without consideration for whom may try to capitalize and commercialize the idea. And even better, solutions are available for the community.
Ditto.

Tucson335d, I was disappointed by your #35 post. Many of us here have sacrificed MUCH more time, energy, and money than you have on this pulley effort (which looks very promising, and full Kudos to you for that), and freely shared with the community. All of us, working together, have helped move this platform forward to where it is today. I hope you reconsider.
Deftronix169.50
rulonger110.50
      01-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #28
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

1+

MUCH more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Ditto.

Tucson335d, I was disappointed by your #35 post. Many of us here have sacrificed MUCH more time, energy, and money than you have on this pulley effort (which looks very promising, and full Kudos to you for that), and freely shared with the community. All of us, working together, have helped move this platform forward to where it is today. I hope you reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #29
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well thank you Andrew i appreciate that. My cost on an OAD is additional $50 to $60 over a clutched pulley (maybe more maybe less), depending on the volume. Email me a proposal and I will take your offer under advisement with my spacer machinist and get back to you with a decision.
How about we:
Pay for your development materials
Machining costs for spacers
Name this the "Tuscon pulley mod"

Your extensive time involved is invaluable and we couldn't come close to compensating you fairly for that without passing the cost to the community.

A hobbyist does this stuff in their spare time because they like it and want to further their vehicle performance. I like doing this stuff so much I quit my jobs and I have to make some money to support my family and all those that I employ. Profits are typically made by leveraging large sums of money to get discounts from manufacturers allowing us to sell products at a competitive price while earning a profit.

Alternatively, if you don't like this proposal, I'm sure one of the other brilliant members of this forum will come up with their own OAD solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #30
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
With all due respect, i am completely unaware of anyones sacrifices. ...
Would you like a list? Although I'm pretty sure by now that even the really long list of contributors and contributions that have directly benefited you will not change your position.
      01-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #31
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

The melodrama continues! Can see what Andrew was saying about approach, geeze man, less is more. Don't think you will see anyone around here blowing a motor and putting a new one in next weekend, we are after all on a forum of generation old diesels.

The threads for getting the fluidampr started back in April, 2016! If you are really going to continue like this the community would be better off finding an alternative. Calling out TDI, of all poeple probably wasn't the best thing to do as his contributions to this place have been invaluable . Many people have time invested, and if you are going to act ignorant about it to be unnecessarily dramatic, then take the solution you wont share specifics on elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #32
da_trem
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I'll be trying out that OAD pulley shortly. Measurements wise it fits. Its made for Volvo and ford diesel motors. But i could only source it from the UK..

Appreciate 1
TDIwyse613.50
      01-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #33
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_trem View Post
I'll be trying out that OAD pulley shortly. Measurements wise it fits. Its made for Volvo and ford diesel motors. But i could only source it from the UK..
Thanks for helping. And for sharing a part number :-)
      01-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #34
Built4Sin
TL/DR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [9.00]
2014 Audi Q7 TDI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_trem View Post

Looks about right,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #35
Built4Sin
TL/DR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [9.00]
2014 Audi Q7 TDI  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #36
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
The melodrama continues!
Indeed, he just filed a PayPal dispute against us after writing that he was happy with the setup.

Quote:
Hello AARODRIGUEZ CORP,

Your buyer filed a claim. The buyer stated that the item was defective or not as described.
Reason:
It doesn't work
Quote:
I will share this offer and discuss it with my machinist, although i am sure he is reading all of this even before me lol. We have both been busy and have not had a chance to sit down and discuss moving forward. I am keeping an open mind and hope to come to decision in the next few days. I would like to support a product to be brought to market that not only benefits others here directly, but does so in a way that the market can bear. Personally, after driving around tonight hard, my car just seems much more refined, strangley muted almost, in tone and decibels, smoother. A bit hard to describe but i really like it. I have my sound isolation fully removed but if I put it back on it would be even quieter. I know fluidampr was right about the harmonics and how it affects everything like the pump, cam timing, injection timing, everything, just enjoying the car now.

Last edited by Andrew@FixMyVW; 01-08-2018 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #37
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

^ Oh brother
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #38
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

and wow....

Quote:

Fluidampr
Tuscon *earned* the hostility that he has received. It's all about approach...his was terrible, abusive and went on for hours and hours every single day.

Andrew, my friend, all about approach?

Buying parts, spending my own money to diagnose, raising issues directly to you with no response, asking for help and support but recieiving nothing but silence, yes that was the wrong approach all right. I should have said nothing, thrown away my money, given you anything you needed to be profitable and sucessful, let my car be down and never complained, let you take all the credit and kept quiet. I am so terribly sorry i didnt do all that you had hoped i would andrew.

The only thing i did wrong, was being nieve enough to think that people would not actually let this stand, actually support or even demand the right thing be done. In their minds, you, taking my idea, making it your own, passing it off as though you created it and acting like a hero when in reality you are no more than just a lousy copy cat, is just what they needed.
You are their poster boy, their golden child, their hero. I just didnt know all that when i spoke up about a product, that you sold me, that didnt work and cost me a lot of money, among other things, to diagnose and fix.

What i did earn was respect for myself, a great deal of self respect. All hositlity i recieved was by you and your friends, anyone who had something to loose, be it prestige, money, fame, ego or anything else. When I did keep quiet, tried to make peace, didnt say a word, i recieved more hostility, and instead of defending me, all i recieved was invalidation, threats of violence etc. I gave back just the facts, and as a result, I was banned because heaven forbid i stand up and let the facts speak for themselves.

That's ok though I forgive, and in the end, i got a real good, albiet unwanted, education. I mean i am not going to dwell on all that now, why would I, its beneath me. So best of luck to you and your future endevors, may you legtimately, honestly and ethically, earn all the heaps and praises bestowed upon you by others. This will be my last response to this silly drama...and please, would you just...stop copying my peace sign, it's so tacky!✌
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #39
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You know i would love to have all of these conversations over the phone or better yet face to face, because i am really, really tired of the complete and total lack of understanding, on the part of you people here, for reala thoufh no correcting any of you over the internet...is that what thy call it trolling? Allegedly you are all so damn smart, so.why arent ylu getting the basic principles? Can you all be really that stupid? Or is it intentional?? Hell if i know, but if you dont like what i have to say then have a great life. I am not getting into any more philosophical debates with you guys. And by the way, I wasnt "calling out" anyone, Its called a discussion, a conversation. I mean seriously how stupid does this have to get??
Well that's disturbing.

Andrew, I thought you went WAY out of your way to work with Tucson335d and make him feel included and significant by the offers you made to him in this thread ... For that I Knight you as "poster boy, their golden child, their hero" :-)
fsd35054.50
      01-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #40
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Andrew, i dont think your brain takes a giant crap causing you to loose all touch with reality, but you act it out very convincingly!

As you are well aware, I filed that dispute Jan 3rd, 2017, before i had a chance to try and bandaid fix my car with the reaserch and work i did alone. Now that i have made it possible, to drive my vehicle, by adding on and modifying additional parts (which you have still failed to furnish me), i am happy with MY WORK, no your work, not fluidampr's work, MY WORK. THE PART YOU SOLD ME DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED...plain and simple. Now with the additional parts of my own selection, it works. So obviously your entire statement is completely false and misleading...like your brain just took a giant dump, but it really didn't.

See i know a man as smart as you already knew i filed that dispute with paypal, a man as smart as you already read my private message sent to you recently, before your seemingly benign offer to break a stalemate and offer what looked like peace. A man as smart as you already knew to bolster me up as high as could be with false offers of money and fame, after all, the higher the high, the harder the fall. I sent you a private message, i am happy you made it public so I didnt have too. You did exactly what i was told you would do and you didnt dissapoint my friend, not one bit.

Good luck on your cars and pulleys my friends, may you honestly and truly reap all the rewards due upon you for all your sacrifices!✌
The first and only notification that we have from PayPal in regards to your dispute was provided to us today, January 8th at 16:09 Eastern Time Zone.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #41
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Andrew, i dont think your brain takes a giant crap causing you to loose all touch with reality, but you act it out very convincingly!

As you are well aware, I filed that dispute Jan 3rd, 2017, before i had a chance to try and bandaid fix my car with the reaserch and work i did alone. Now that i have made it possible, to drive my vehicle, by adding on and modifying additional parts (which you have still failed to furnish me), i am happy with MY WORK, no your work, not fluidampr's work, MY WORK. THE PART YOU SOLD ME DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED...plain and simple. Now with the additional parts of my own selection, it works. So obviously your entire statement is completely false and misleading...like your brain just took a giant dump, but it really didn't.

See i know a man as smart as you already knew i filed that dispute with paypal, a man as smart as you already read my private message sent to you recently, before your seemingly benign offer to break a stalemate and offer what looked like peace. A man as smart as you already knew to bolster me up as high as could be with false offers of money and fame, after all, the higher the high, the harder the fall. I sent you a private message, i am happy you made it public so I didnt have too. You did exactly what i was told you would do and you didnt dissapoint my friend, not one bit.

Good luck on your cars and pulleys my friends, may you honestly and truly reap all the rewards due upon you for all your sacrifices!✌
Oh boy ... In all seriousness, I wish you peace. I'm not sure what is specifically going on in your life, but you kind of remind me of Charlie Sheen and his "Winning" responses, that were disconnected from reality. Charlie eventually realized how ridiculous he was acting... Again, I wish you peace.

01-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #42
ColonelSanders
Rep

Here goes; I've watched this unfold from the first rumors about fluidampr, just as I have watched the development of xHP, or countless others. I fully acknowledge that all the modifications in my car have been made possible by not just the hard work, but the selflessness of others. whether or not my money made it directly to them or not, I am in their debt.

As for fluidampr, I took the time as well to research just how a damper should operate, and from an engineering level, what it is doing. My conclusion, backed up by extensive data provided from Andrew and Fluidampr is that it performs exactly as designed regarding crank harmonics, at the cost of reduced effectiveness for audible idle noise/effects.

Given the work by Andrew, once my clutched pulley arrives, I will install it and be happy, and be thankful for the hard work put in by everyone involved. Because of all the data and communication, I'm confident this is a solid solution. I have my engineering degree so facts, data, and legitimate research hold far more value for me than self-reported results that lack any sort of validity.

On the other note, and completely separate from any technical details of various solutions, is just the impression I get from various members of this community, based solely from interactions on the internet. Based on that alone there are certain vendors I avoid, and others I trust. We paint a portrait of ourselves by every single word said in a public forum such as this.

After all this it confirms for me that Andrew is committed to doing the right thing for his customers, while Tucson335d is more concerned about his own car, and making a lot of noise while doing nothing for the community.

This post doesn't contribute much to the discussion, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in after months of sitting on the sidelines.
      01-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #43
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

On a positive note, spacers are going to arrive tomorrow and we will ship pulleys to everybody that has not ordered tools. Fluidampr needs a few more days to make the 24mm pass-through sockets for me
https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrac...s=795408493580

I also made the X5 diy video today for the Fluidampr install and the alternator
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #44
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Good for you, you kind of remind me of a 4 year old child, whinning about not getting a new puppy, not taking daddys no for an answer and demanding to know why daddy said no! The 4 year old eventually understood later in life. Anything else?
Wow. You can't be serious. Tucson you need to get a grip. You fit a pulley on an alternator and had a shim machined. Like, take it easy... not exactly rocket science, hard or time consuming.

I guess I don't understand your position... did you seriously want money for fitting an off the shelf pulley and your "time"? Seriously?

Quote:
I wish i was in the status and position of life to own multiple cars, have a great paying career, live in a nice home with a multiple car garage etc etc. But i am not nor will i be in the near future. My point here is...perspective.
What? If you're hard up, maybe you shouldn't own an older maintenance intensive BMW. If you're really that strapped, you certainly shouldn't be modifying it.

Have you had a good experience with a seller? You badmouthed the exhaust guy and the exhaust was fine. You're now backmouthing fluidamper and Andrew even though the product fit and does what it was designed to do. Have you had any good experience with vendors?

From reading and re-reading your posts, it sure seems like you have a twisted sense of entitlement. It's a $500 aftermarket/performance part, it'll change the car and likely introduce NVH like bushings, driveshafts, lightweight flywheels etc. If you wanted an OE piece, you should've purchased a direct OE replacement, which are much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread