E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Hmmmmm....

04-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Just learning...

Hmmmmm....

Ok, so I admit to have been lurking for a few days here. And, I am very novice to this crazy disease that you all have. But, after what seems like hours perusing the E90post, overall, I fear I may be starting to come down with it myself. Still, I am a quick-as-hell student...

So...this is the question...

I am definitely going to be attending the Bandimere track day, but I am unsure if I should volunteer to learn more, or merely watch from the sidelines.

Do you think volunteering would help me learn more and appreciate the location of the apex appropriately (especially, if I get stuck on a specific corner all day)? Or would watching the action be a better approach?

Experts, please advise
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Welcome buddy

A couple things, if you are referring to the Bandimere meet up on the 10th it's actually a drag strip so there won't be any apex's to be watching. Just some good ole' fashioned 1/4 mile jaunts to see how slow we are at this altitude

Now on May 22nd and 23rd, those are BMW CCA track days at High Plains Raceway (HPR) and that is in fact a road course. Definitely look into volunteering, that won't hurt. However it is a driving school and you can learn from an instructor some of the details of tracking your car.

Definitely make it out, we have good groups going to both events.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yep, It appears I am getting in too deep too fast.

I am attending BOTH the bandimere drag event AND the track day on May 22nd close to Byers, as I have been informed. Which I know are two separate kinds of racing...but like I said, I have been lurking so much I guess I am mixing the events up! Please forgive me

I MEANT to ask about the track day near Byers. Volunteer or No? Best learning experience is what I am seeking.

Thanks for the welcome, Forza...always nice to have a warm greeting!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Also, I am not from anywhere near the Denver metro area. So...ALL of this is new to me. Tracks, drag races, etc.

From where I live all I see is Nascar...which is boring to me, because they just run in circles for hours on end. Although the drag event might appear to be something of the same nature, I don't really think so from all the youtube vid I have watched. Likely due to the very short and FAST nature of the race

The track day appears to have much more skill, education and experience necessary. Which I am interested in learning about...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Elizabeth, was just informed of who you are. Definitely hope you and JT make it to Bandimere this weekend. Will be nice to meet you and see Jason.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
Busted!
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yes, Matt, I was just informed of the security breach, myself. We will for sure be at Bandimere this weekend. It will be my first ever drag racing event. I look forward to meeting you, as well

Jt-loose lips sink ships...remember?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

If you are indeed a woman...MOAR PICS!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelofTexas View Post
Yes, Matt, I was just informed of the security breach, myself. We will for sure be at Bandimere this weekend. It will be my first ever drag racing event. I look forward to meeting you, as well

Jt-loose lips sink ships...remember?
LOL, I guess JT will need to watch what he says out here. I hear you have been lurking on the site a bit. Pretty cool you are taking interest in the cars, now maybe he will actually come post on the site more. He hasn't been out much.

See you guys there.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Am I missing something?
      04-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

mycoupe - You mean YOU are not a woman? Your avatar certainly appears to be female. Love the hat, BTW.

forza - Glad I could amuse. Yes. I have been lurking more than I would like to admit to. I am learning SO much!! But I am still NOT INTO CARS. (that is the party line on THAT, at this point anyway).

E92_Sid - No, no big deal...nothing to see here. If you want more details just get in touch with forza or jt. It appears jt is willing to tell anybody anything around these parts!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
She's totally into cars, but she apparently had no idea. She didn't know anything before, but she spends so much time here that she's gonna be tearing up the track in no time! Just today, she learned all about rev matching when downshifting.
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmccabe View Post
She's totally into cars, but she apparently had no idea. She didn't know anything before, but she spends so much time here that she's gonna be tearing up the track in no time! Just today, she learned all about rev matching when downshifting.
Cool...being educated in what to is half the battle...doing it, is the other half
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Loose lips, jt, loose lips...repeat after me...SINK ships!! I'm going to stop stop telling you what I have learned and allowing you to quiz me on it all if you don't watch out, man.

Besides...I don't even know how to change a tire, and I JUST found out how to check my tire pressure. So, it is a bit of a jump to say I am into cars, don't you think? But, time will tell
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Forza can teach us a thing or two about cars! Plus, he's the biggest baller of us all!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #16
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Bimmer This - Consdering the ubiquity with which I find myself reading threads that Forza starts on this regional forum, combined with his overall availability to help comment on other's threads and questions on said forum, leads me to believe I could learn a lot from Matt. I totally agree.

I am sure we will hit it off, and I will be a hard won conversion to the love of bimmer motorsports.

Jt would LOVE that...he has all his guns blaring now to help me learn. Can you belive he gave me HOMEWORK tonight???? Ha!

Seriously, if anyone around has something they think I should try to learn pronto, please chime in. Just trying to get the basics so I can not be so emmbarrasingly Noobie-ish. please.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Bimmer This - Consdering the ubiquity with which I find myself reading threads that Forza starts on this regional forum, combined with his overall availability to help comment on other's threads and questions on said forum, leads me to believe I could learn a lot from Matt. I totally agree.

I am sure we will hit it off, and I will be a hard won conversion to the love of bimmer motorsports.

Jt would LOVE that...he has all his guns blaring now to help me learn. Can you belive he gave me HOMEWORK tonight???? Ha!

Seriously, if anyone around has something they think I should try to learn pronto, please chime in. Just trying to get the basics so I can not be so emmbarrasingly Noobie-ish. please.
What is it that your wanting to learn?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I want to learn EVERYTHING!

Honestly, I don't even know what I don't know yet, just that it is too much! I am spending way too much time reading about driving and about bimmers on the general forums. I KNOW that the only way to really learn is by doing. I plan to get right on that

I guess, because the first event I will witness is at Bandimere on Saturday, I should start with that. What are some of the things a noobie should be tuned into noticing while watching the races there? I have read a lot about the need for a good launch and the mechanics of how that works differently for MT or AT, as well as for AWD (xi's) versus non-AWD (non-xi) BMW's.

My goal for the day is to learn more about why the altitude in Denver makes times worse, and cars slower, versus lower altitude racing.

Thanks again for any insight anyone can share!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #19
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I want to learn EVERYTHING!

Honestly, I don't even know what I don't know yet, just that it is too much! I am spending way too much time reading about driving and about bimmers on the general forums. I KNOW that the only way to really learn is by doing. I plan to get right on that

I guess, because the first event I will witness is at Bandimere on Saturday, I should start with that. What are some of the things a noobie should be tuned into noticing while watching the races there? I have read a lot about the need for a good launch and the mechanics of how that works differently for MT or AT, as well as for AWD (xi's) versus non-AWD (non-xi) BMW's.

My goal for the day is to learn more about why the altitude in Denver makes times worse, and cars slower, versus lower altitude racing.

Thanks again for any insight anyone can share!
Altitude = less air = less air for the parts to suck in a use. Thats the basics of it. At sea level there is more air for the car to suck in and use and therefore it has more power. Thats the easiest way to describe it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also, we love our turbo'd engines here because they can partially compensate for the thinner air by increasing the air pressure in the intake (boost). More air = more fuel to burn = more power. We're still slower here than at sea level, but we're not affected as much as the naturally aspirated (non-turbo) guys.

Some good reading for ya from the Turbo/FI forum:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #21
JewelofTexas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ok...thanks Dackz. I would have thought that I had achieved my goal for the day with your explanation, but as always, it appears it is muy more complicated...per jt's reply.

So, does everyone at altitude have turbo? It seems that if you don't then you would be MUCH slower than cars at sea level. Even if your car is turbo, you STILL are slower than non aspirated cars? Is that something that is an option when you buy your car, but everyone at altitude chooses it?

Thanks for the thread rec, jt...on my there now.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep

HorsePower 101 by Dackz and jmtccade. Everyone grab your seats, class is about to begin!
Appreciate 0