E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > How to read an MHD log

02-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

How to read an MHD log

When I had JB4 with a BEF I was able to somewhat understand the logs enough to know that something was amiss, but not necessarily know what was. Now that I am on MHD I'd like to be able to look at the logs and be somewhat confident in what I am looking at. Then if something looks out of kilter I can then ping the big dogs.

Can someone come up with an N55 primer for basic MHD log analysis ala the Terry JB4 writeup over on N54Tech? We could post it as a sticky note for reference.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
CurtisP87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Alpine White

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
bcaz808
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376386
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

maybe i am the only one but the MHD logs are sooo self explanatory if you have basic engine knowledge. If you dont know how an engine works then you would have a hard time..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
poptart56
Private
Rep
Drives: Black E90 Auto Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
maybe i am the only one but the MHD logs are sooo self explanatory if you have basic engine knowledge. If you dont know how an engine works then you would have a hard time..
Idk if I would say "basic" engine knowledge but yes knowing what each item is is very self explanatory but what a little more difficult from when I started reading them was interpreting what meant what.

Plus the fact that this engine is so adaptive to its current conditions, I think reading the logs at first is a little daunting. Quick learning curve though. Once you know what your looking at and for it's easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
I rebuilt an engine at 16, and it ran fine. On the ASVAB the test said I was best suited to be an automotive engineer. Basic enough? While I don't tinker (I don't need to in order to have this car) I'd still like to be able to read the logs myself so I don't blow it up. With JB4 it said to look for advance and a dish shape in the higher rpms when things were going ok. With my limited time with MHD it seems that they should stay at 0(?). Id prefer to see the advance as it happens. With JB4 there was an AFR column it looks like for MHD it is Lambda. I'll look at the info provided upthread and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
I rebuilt an engine at 16, and it ran fine. On the ASVAB the test said I was best suited to be an automotive engineer. Basic enough? While I don't tinker (I don't need to in order to have this car) I'd still like to be able to read the logs myself so I don't blow it up. With JB4 it said to look for advance and a dish shape in the higher rpms when things were going ok. With my limited time with MHD it seems that they should stay at 0(?). Id prefer to see the advance as it happens. With JB4 there was an AFR column it looks like for MHD it is Lambda. I'll look at the info provided upthread and go from there.
If you're looking at the individual cylinder timing corrections, then yeah ideally they should be as close to 0 as possible. But anything less than -3* is pretty much considered normal operation.

I'm pretty sure that the actual timing value is listed as "timing cyl. 1 *CRK." Maybe that will give you the numbers you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Building engines and tuning totally different things.. MHD logs are so self explanatory.. But looks like you want to know more about tuning.. thats not necessarily reading logs. The logging parameters are labeled in plain English..

So what i STILL dont understand is what you are trying to accomplish.

The logs are easy to read so that you can solve potential performance issues. If you are trying to tune your car thats a completely different ball game.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you bcaz, rich... that is a well written explanation. Is enough to at least be dangerous. Pladi, no offense but how the MHD logs are labelled and interpreted, specifically timing and AFR (I see that is "Lambda"), is different than the JB4 solution.
Appreciate 0