E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > List your 6AT Mods for Road Racing / HPDE

07-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #23
E90Mack
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x

Garage List
2011 E90  [6.00]
2006 X3 2.5  [0.00]
street pads

if you are looking to have it both ways, with street pads that you can do some real tracking in, you could try what I'm running and get at StopTech BBK 355k, with the Street Performance brake pads on the fronts. I can do 30 minute sessions at ThunderHill, work the brakes, have nice performance, and live with them as a daily driver. And no switching out pads....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #24
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Mack View Post
if you are looking to have it both ways, with street pads that you can do some real tracking in, you could try what I'm running and get at StopTech BBK 355k, with the Street Performance brake pads on the fronts. I can do 30 minute sessions at ThunderHill, work the brakes, have nice performance, and live with them as a daily driver. And no switching out pads....
But that's another $4-5k! More if your current wheels need to replaced to fit the larger calipers and rotors! But if your budge allows and can truly max'd out the stock setup, then go for it by all mean.

Actually it might be more cost effective to go with a BBK for the long term. You can do the math. PFC08 front pads ($260) for stock brakes last me about 3-4 days and front rotors last about 10 days before the thermal stress cracks are getting too large. Rear brakes typically last 2-3X as long as the front on our cars. I know PFC track pads for ST40 and 60 calipers costs $440 if I remember them correctly and all the wear components will last A LOT longer since they run so much cooler. So if you do 2 to 3 dozen events a year, you might actually be to recoup the money on the BBK fairly quickly in just one or two seasons.

Personally, I find the stock setup OK with slotted rotors, solid guide bushings, and track pads. Sure the pedals are always a little soft due to the sliding calipers, but I will live with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Have been using Carbotech XP10 for about a year now, on the street and on the track. Other than squealing (who cares...) they work perfectly well on the street even in below freezing weather. And they work incredibly well on the track, great bite, easily modulated, no judder, etc. just be sure and get the pre-bed option. FWIW
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #26
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Have been using Carbotech XP10 for about a year now, on the street and on the track. Other than squealing (who cares...) they work perfectly well on the street even in below freezing weather. And they work incredibly well on the track, great bite, easily modulated, no judder, etc. just be sure and get the pre-bed option. FWIW
From what I heard on the tracks, XP10 doesn't work as well on the heavier and faster 335i/M3. But still a huge step up from street pads I am sure.

PFC pads work very well on street as well, as long as you can put up with the noise and accelerated wears on the rotors at street temp (might be an issue if you drive the car a lot on the street).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #27
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
From what I heard on the tracks, XP10 doesn't work as well on the heavier and faster 335i/M3. But still a huge step up from street pads I am sure.

PFC pads work very well on street as well, as long as you can put up with the noise and accelerated wears on the rotors at street temp (might be an issue if you drive the car a lot on the street).
Right, you'd want to go up to XP12, I think. Not seeing any accelerated wear on Zimmerman front and OE rear rotors though, no grinding.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #28
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I used was the Hawk HT-10, and I only had them put in the front. They worked fine on the street, only had to slightly increase pedal pressure to get the same response. I'm in a 128i however, which is a little bit lighter.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #29
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

My setup:

E92 335i 6AT

Track-Relevant mods:

RB Turbos w/ Cobb
Clubsport Rollcage
Performance Seats w/ harnesses
Brembo BBK 355/345
CF Roof
Catted DPs
AFE Sealed Intake
Forge FMIC
Quaife LSD
Öhlins Road & Track Coilovers
Vorshlag Camberplates
Megan Racing Toe Links
Solid Subframe Bushings
M3 suspension parts & ARBs
ER sports Oilcooler
IS Airducts
OZ Allegerita HLT 18"
Kumho V70A R-compounds 245 front and 265 rear

Pretty sure I forgot some stuff. The car is a beast, and much more capable than I am as a driver...so I plan to invest as much in seat time as I can. This year has sadly been quite rough but I'll hit the tracks more next season, namely Spa and the Nurburgring GP Track.

Brembo Brake Pads will be replaced with Endless MX72 on the front soon (650 Euro just for the front...ouch!).
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #30
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
My setup:

E92 335i 6AT

Track-Relevant mods:

RB Turbos w/ Cobb
Clubsport Rollcage
Brembo BBK 355/345
CF Roof
Catted DPs
AFE Sealed Intake
Forge FMIC
Quaife LSD
Vorshlag Camberplates
Megan Racing Toe Links
Solid Subframe Bushings
ER sports Oilcooler
IS Airducts
OZ Allegerita HLT 18"

Pretty sure I forgot some stuff. The car is a beast, and much more capable than I am as a driver...so I plan to invest as much in seat time as I can. This year has sadly been quite rough but I'll hit the tracks more next season, namely Spa and the Nurburgring GP Track.

Brembo Brake Pads will be replaced with Endless MX72 on the front soon (650 Euro just for the front...ouch!).
Oh hell yeah! Sounds like a killer tracker, very nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #31
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i
My setup:

E92 335i 6AT

Track-Relevant mods:

RB Turbos w/ Cobb
Clubsport Rollcage
Brembo BBK 355/345
CF Roof
Catted DPs
AFE Sealed Intake
Forge FMIC
Quaife LSD
Vorshlag Camberplates
Megan Racing Toe Links
Solid Subframe Bushings
ER sports Oilcooler
IS Airducts
OZ Allegerita HLT 18"

Drool...
      08-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #32
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Had another solid weekend of seat time at Thunderhill this weekend. Tranny held up fine, times are getting a bit better but I'm really only focusing on getting smoother and learning my local track lines.

I got a vanos fault on my first lap cleared it and drove great all day. Also a oil quality sensor fault so I swapped my oil with 6L to check if the level sensor was working and it's fine, under warranty so I may have my indy look at the vanos solenoids.

Like cloud9 mentioned I may have over done it with the ATF cooler and to ensure that I'm maintaining pressure I'm moving to a smaller an8 core for the tranny cooler with minimal extra line length.

Thinking of doing the HPA swift upgrade for my Bilstein coils. The current spring rates feel good ~350/650 but I might drop to a 300 front linear if I move to swift. Anyone on here have experience with swift springs on their coils?
      08-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #33
OPe92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6AT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx
Had another solid weekend of seat time at Thunderhill this weekend. Tranny held up fine, times are getting a bit better but I'm really only focusing on getting smoother and learning my local track lines.

I got a vanos fault on my first lap cleared it and drove great all day. Also a oil quality sensor fault so I swapped my oil with 6L to check if the level sensor was working and it's fine, under warranty so I may have my indy look at the vanos solenoids.

Like cloud9 mentioned I may have over done it with the ATF cooler and to ensure that I'm maintaining pressure I'm moving to a smaller an8 core for the tranny cooler with minimal extra line length.

Thinking of doing the HPA swift upgrade for my Bilstein coils. The current spring rates feel good ~350/650 but I might drop to a 300 front linear if I move to swift. Anyone on here have experience with swift springs on their coils?
Get the swift springs! They are well worth it. I'm running 336f/672r on ohlins r&t.

Hey how is your mfactory LSD holding up on the track? Do you have a small pumpkin or large?

Reason I ask is I had a quaife in a small pumpkin that i damage at the track due to excessive heat. I'm looking to get a LSD again but in a big pumpkin this time, possibly run a finned LSD cover too
      08-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #34
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPe92
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx

Get the swift springs! They are well worth it. I'm running 336f/672r on ohlins r&t.

Hey how is your mfactory LSD holding up on the track? Do you have a small pumpkin or large?

Reason I ask is I had a quaife in a small pumpkin that i damage at the track due to excessive heat. I'm looking to get a LSD again but in a big pumpkin this time, possibly run a finned LSD cover too
It's been running well but that is a big concern of mine as I have a small pumpkin. I filled up the diff with extra fluid at an angle to increase volume of fluid but it does have a lifetime warranty which is reassuring.
      12-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #35
E90Mack
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x

Garage List
2011 E90  [6.00]
2006 X3 2.5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post

Any more feedback on the AT cooler? Do you get overheating at the track? I'm now starting to transmission overheating by my third session of the day and am considering doing a similar AT cooling setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #36
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Mack
Quote:

Any more feedback on the AT cooler? Do you get overheating at the track? I'm now starting to transmission overheating by my third session of the day and am considering doing a similar AT cooling setup.
It's never over heated, I run the car on e40 and 16psi of boost or so max. I have run 6 track days this year most recently at Laguna (1:50 lap time) which isn't super fast but seeing as how the car is probably over 400wtq without tranny issues I'd say that my cooling system is working well. No odd behavior, I just let it idle a little longer on cold starts so it properly warms up (probably not necessary as I left the heat exchanger in place)

I actually have a full plug and play setup sitting around identical to my current one except with an8 lines vs the an10 I'm running as I was concerned about line pressure but with new info I've found that my current setup is likely fine. Might be willing to sell if there's interest.
      12-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #37
spxxx
Boost
Rep

I'd say I'm close to 12-15k street + track miles on this setup.
      12-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #38
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just curious, has any AT or DCT owner upgraded the trans and engine mounts to something former than stock. Just curious if it makes any difference on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #39
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:

The vanos and the oil quilt were probably related, could be from your oil. Try Rotella T6. Also replace the solenoids and the little valve at the right front side of the engine head. Above turbo #1. It could be clogged up from slug due to bad oil.

Regarding your ATF cooler, Cloud9blue spend a lot of research and is probably the first to install 2 in 1 aftermarket aluminum radiator and transmission cooler on AT n54. So take his advice. His car is properly setup and performs amazingly.

I can a test for that as I can near him at the local tracks we visit.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #40
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:

The vanos and the oil quilt were probably related, could be from your oil. Try Rotella T6. Also replace the solenoids and the little valve at the right front side of the engine head. Above turbo #1. It could be clogged up from slug due to bad oil.

Regarding your ATF cooler, Cloud9blue spend a lot of research and is probably the first to install 2 in 1 aftermarket aluminum radiator and transmission cooler on AT n54. So take his advice. His car is properly setup and performs amazingly.

I can a test for that as I can near him at the local tracks we visit.
I run Rotella, not a single issue at laguna last weekend. No limps or codes and I was pushing the car decently hard
      12-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #41
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

has anyone tracked a 328i auto with sport package? is the transmission the same as in the 335i? I recently bought one to be my daily (looking to buy an S2000 as my track car as soon as I sell my S197 Mustang) and I'm really impressed with how it handles out of the box (don't judge me by my Mustang, I've owned a bunch of proper handling cars before also ), so I'm curious to do a track day or 2 in the 328...

being an auto my first concern is it potentially overheating, but looks like a lot of you are tracking the auto's on 335's which put out 2x-4x the tq that a 328 does.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #42
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
has anyone tracked a 328i auto with sport package? is the transmission the same as in the 335i? I recently bought one to be my daily (looking to buy an S2000 as my track car as soon as I sell my S197 Mustang) and I'm really impressed with how it handles out of the box (don't judge me by my Mustang, I've owned a bunch of proper handling cars before also ), so I'm curious to do a track day or 2 in the 328...

being an auto my first concern is it potentially overheating, but looks like a lot of you are tracking the auto's on 335's which put out 2x-4x the tq that a 328 does.
Different autobox. 328i's is made by GM, from my experience driving loaners from the dealer back in the days, it is rather slow shifting and tq convertor doesn't lock as well as the ZF ones. Don't think you are going to overheat a N52 very easily though, it is essentially the same cooling package as the early N54 and you dont have two turbos to cool down, so you should be fine for some light track use. You might cook the brakes before anything else goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #43
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

yeah, brakes are a given... I can accommodate for that with my driving style a bit and going hot lap / easy lap cycles. But the transmission is something I don't want to risk too much, a lot more $$$ to replace...

good to know, looking forward to doing a few lapping days in the BMW this coming season!

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #44
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Hold up. I didn't think this was possible:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
My setup on my X1 35i Msport

Stoptech ST60 BBK
275/40/17 square Nitto NT01 on apex arc 8 wheels
Are you really running that BBK with 17" Arc-8s?
Appreciate 0