E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ground Source Inside ECU Box

11-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Ground Source Inside ECU Box

I'm concerned about the ground wire to my piggyback ECU (which currently travels out of the ECU box, under the cover, and attaches to the ground on the strut tower) being eventualy cut by the ECU box cover.

Does anyone have additional information on the ground source inside the ECU box? Eugen mentioned before that there is a black screw inside the ECU box, but I could only find two silver torx screws, neither of which has continuity to ground. If anyone has photos of the ECU box ground source or can describe where it is, please post them. I would really like to get the ground inside the ECU box.

Cheers!!
      11-25-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
I'm concerned about the ground wire to my piggyback ECU (which currently travels out of the ECU box, under the cover, and attaches to the ground on the strut tower) being eventualy cut by the ECU box cover.

Does anyone have additional information on the ground source inside the ECU box? Eugen mentioned before that there is a black screw inside the ECU box, but I could only find two silver torx screws, neither of which has continuity to ground. If anyone has photos of the ECU box ground source or can describe where it is, please post them. I would really like to get the ground inside the ECU box.

Cheers!!
I always had that in my mind actually as the wires doesnt really look too weather resistant. With intermittent heat and cold, i am worried the wire may degrade over time. Its just another way of completely making the procede robust. I hope shiv can develop something or a way to keep the wire in the box or advise us on some form of insulation we can use to protect that particular wire.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
Moggie
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post

Cheers!!
I couldn't find a grounded source in the ECU either so I just turned the eyelet connector into spade and ran an extension through the hole in the back of the ECU box into the interior (there's a torx screw to the left of the fusebox). If you are running a USB cable anyway...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

i was thinking the same thing. Running the ground to the bolt behind the glove box where i hardwired the V1. So you cut the eyelet connector into spade? Where did you get the extension cable at?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
Moggie
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

All new connectors... cut the eyelet off, crimped on a new spade and made an extension female spade to eyelet myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Boy do I feel stupid...I don't know why I didn't think of that!!!! I have been reading the DIY on getting the serial-to-USB cable through to the glovebox, and while I'm in there, I will just run the ground into the fusebox area and conect it to the torx screw others have used to ground their V1 installs! Piece of cake!! Pinched ground wire solved!!! Thanks guys!

BTW, I just ordered my serial-to-USB extension cable same as called out in the PROcede USB Cable DIY. It's only $9.99 at Newegg.com.

Here is the link to the actual cable on Newegg.com
      11-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

i just ran the same usb cable to the glove box yesterday, works perfect with v2
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Just a quick question on wire gauge sizes. I don't think I have exactly the same wire gauge size as the PROcede ground wire, but I do know it's bigger than the proceed wire (lower gauge). As long as I use a wire gauge that is lower (thicker) than the PROcede ground I'm ok, right?
      11-29-2007, 12:51 AM   #9
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Update:

I hope you guys who are thinking of running the ground wire through the hole with your USB cable to the fuse box have better luck than I did. The reason I say this is because it doesn't work for me.

The PROcede works fine with the ground wire connected to the original V1 install location on the strut tower. I connected a wire to the big torx screw in the fusebox and checked continuity with the original ground wire location and it's good. But when I connected the fuse box ground wire to the PROcede, the car threw all kinds of warnings.

So, I just gave up on the hidden ground wire. If you guys have a different experience when you try it, please post. But I thought I would save some people the grief of what I went though the last 24 hours trying to get it to work.

Apparently, at least in my case, a "ground" is not necessarily a "ground" in all circumstances...

UPDATE: Moggie says use a serrated washer at the torx screw and it should work fine, because it does for him. I will try his suggestion next week. I'm sick of messing with the ECU box right now LOL!!!

Last edited by Tuned335i; 11-29-2007 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0