E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > European air intake mod.

02-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #287
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Not sure where you getting your facts, maybe overwhelmed with coding? I drive a car thats more aluminum than plastic and rubber combined ��
uhh. really? most of the front of the car is plastic (core support, fenders, bumper, headlights, grille, fender liners, undertray). A good amount of the engine is plastic (valve cover, oil pan, intake, pulleys, cooling system, etc). probably 90% of the interior is plastic. The trunk floor is plastic. I could go on and on - are you really trying to argue there's not a lot of plastic on an E9x?

You're being ridiculous - seriously. it's an airbox. They are made out of plastic and last 30-40 years. If you're unlucky and it's cracked, so what? You could buy 4-5 used ones for the cost of one new one. $500 is not "a couple bucks more". A used airbox isn't going to cause damage or issues to your car. I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #288
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
uhh. really? most of the front of the car is plastic (core support, fenders, bumper, headlights, grille, fender liners, undertray). A good amount of the engine is plastic (valve cover, oil pan, intake, pulleys, cooling system, etc). probably 90% of the interior is plastic. The trunk floor is plastic. I could go on and on - are you really trying to argue there's not a lot of plastic on an E9x?

You're being ridiculous - seriously. it's an airbox. They are made out of plastic and last 30-40 years. If you're unlucky and it's cracked, so what? You could buy 4-5 used ones for the cost of one new one. $500 is not "a couple bucks more". A used airbox isn't going to cause damage or issues to your car. I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Who is arguing pal? What I initially said is that a 10 y.o. box would not go into my car. I'd find a newer one for $150-200. Your and my opinion may differ in part cause you drive an older car and maybe are less anal about what goes in it. On the other side plastic vs aluminum, weight to ratio is self explanatory I hope.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #289
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

WHO CARES?! Guys, it's a waste of money, not matter HOW you slice it.

No matter the part, no matter the cost is a waste of money- these cars are depreciating rapidly, they are literally inferior to almost every car being produced today. We are bickering over Xwhp, plastics, and whatever dumb shit that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things.
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      02-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #290
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post

No matter the part, no matter the cost is a waste of money- these cars are depreciating rapidly, they are literally inferior to almost every car being produced today. We are bickering over Xwhp, plastics, and whatever dumb shit that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things.
dingdingdingding We have a winner!!
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      02-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #291
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Quote:

Agree. Few billion years the sun will literally digest our puny planet...
Or then there was this hot potato in charge that might accelerate things.
Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #292
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Agree. Few billion years the sun will literally digest our puny planet...
Or then there was this hot potato in charge that might accelerate things.
Stay tuned.
President Potato. I like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #293
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I went the used route too. Spent 89 dollars shipped from Germany for the Euro filter box. I just need the bottom half because I already bought the Euro Performance Intake.

If I get the part and I don't like it. Meh. I'll toss it and just skip going out to dinner one night to balance out the books.

Maybe I got a great deal or maybe Ill just have buy from ECS @ $530. I'll know in a week or so.

For me, its about the hunt and the joy to swap out "accessories".
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #294
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I went the used route too. Spent 89 dollars shipped from Germany for the Euro filter box. I just need the bottom half because I already bought the Euro Performance Intake.

If I get the part and I don't like it. Meh. I'll toss it and just skip going out to dinner one night to balance out the books.

Maybe I got a great deal or maybe Ill just have buy from ECS @ $530. I'll know in a week or so.

For me, its about the hunt and the joy to swap out "accessories".
Where did you find it for so cheap?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #295
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post

I basically read through most of the similar threads and gathered the following info.

-Ansauggeräuschdämpfer is a German search term for eBay.de . You kinda go at it and hope you get lucky with additional search terms.
-130i- Euro car has the filter box you need. Also, you can search for intake muffler.
-A lot of Euro 3er with the N5x* engine variant had this filter box.

-I searched ebay Spain, UK, Australia. I even contacted BMW dealer in the UK (sponsor here), but it was more expensive than ECS Tuning. Some listings clearly said will not ship to the USA. Heck, there was a sketchy company in Latvia that would sell it to me at retail if I gave them my social security number. LOLOLOLOL.

So what I ended up doing was finding a listing for a 325 (wagon) filter box in Germany but on the Ebay Spain site that listed the VIN. The part is obviously used and from a a dismantler in Germany. I dropped the Euro VIN in realoem.com and checked that it showed 13717555287. Also, based on the pictures it looked like the right part and included the round cone filter (I am not going to use. I will buy a new one).

I also pulled up my VIN on realoem.com and studied the two drawings side by side and realized that every other "accessory" on the filter box is the same as the US version. I'm talking clamps, elbows, pipes, etc. We all know the MAF sensor is different, and you should use the one you have.

The DHL paket International parcel box shipped on Friday and is now here in Chicagoland somewhere per dhal tracking. It might get delivered Tuesday. I have no idea if DHL will deliver or transfer USPS.

I found the Euro BMW performance intake from Australia for ~$540 USD shipped. This I just got REAL lucky.

Why did I do all this? Was it for the HP gains? Nope. Its still a 328 daily driver. I did it for fun to pretend to be a hardcore enthusiast. Swapping out the filter will be a lot easier.

I'm already working on getting everything I need for he 3-stage manifold conversion.

Last edited by arciga18; 02-19-2017 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Details
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #296
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post

I basically read through most of the similar threads and gathered the following info.

-Ansauggeräuschdämpfer is a German search term for eBay.de . You kinda go at it and hope you get lucky with additional search terms.
-130i- Euro car has the filter box you need. Also, you can search for intake muffler.
-A lot of Euro 3er with the N5x* engine variant had this filter box.

-I searched ebay Spain, UK, Australia. I even contacted BMW dealer in the UK (sponsor here), but it was more expensive than ECS Tuning. Some listings clearly said will not ship to the USA. Heck, there was a sketchy company in Latvia that would sell it to me at retail if I gave them my social security number. LOLOLOLOL.

So what I ended up doing was finding a listing for a 325 (wagon) filter box in Germany but on the Ebay Spain site that listed the VIN. The part is obviously used and from a a dismantler in Germany. I dropped the Euro VIN in realoem.com and checked that it showed 13717555287. Also, based on the pictures it looked like the right part and included the round cone filter (I am not going to use. I will buy a new one).

I also pulled up my VIN on realoem.com and studied the two drawings side by side and realized that every other "accessory" on the filter box is the same as the US version. I'm talking clamps, elbows, pipes, etc. We all know the MAF sensor is different, and you should use the one you have.

The DHL paket International parcel box shipped on Friday and is now here in Chicagoland somewhere per dhal tracking. It might get delivered Tuesday. I have no idea if DHL will deliver or transfer USPS.

I found the Euro BMW performance intake from Australia for ~$540 USD shipped. This I just got REAL lucky.

Why did I do all this? Was it for the HP gains? Nope. Its still a 328 daily driver. I did it for fun to pretend to be a hardcore enthusiast. Swapping out the filter will be a lot easier.

I'm already working on getting everything I need for he 3-stage manifold conversion.
Ok, I get it , most of us are looking for more performance from our cars but has anyone logged the difference in air flow or manifold pressure these mods provide? Real quantifiable data would be great.

Come on, TestO is free and most if have a DCAN cable.

I've logged my pressures, with a stock intake see I see very little manifold pressure drop. I have a Z4 so maybe the three series is different, maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #297
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Ok, I get it , most of us are looking for more performance from our cars but has anyone logged the difference in air flow or manifold pressure these mods provide? Real quantifiable data would be great.

I've logged my pressures, with a stock intake see I see very little manifold pressure drop. I have a Z4 so maybe the three series is different, maybe.
Do you have the 3 stage intake manifold?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #298
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have the 3 stage intake manifold?
Yes, installed a long Time ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #299
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Yes, installed a long Time ago.
You removed the stock limiter and DISA set point, is it pulling vacuum after 6500 to 7000rpm?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:32 AM   #300
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:

they are literally inferior to almost every car being produced today..
Nope, the euro intake improves the look of the engine bay drastically.
The euro intake gives you the ability to use it without the cover for more induction noise and some warm air. The price of a used one is well worth it as a bolt on. Brand new? not so much.

I still think the e9x is better than 90% than any car produced today imo.
but in the grand scheme of things my opinion doesn't mean shit lol.
      02-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #301
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
I've found a German supplier that will ship to the US. As far as I know this is a brand-new OEM part:

https://en.partacus.de/spareparts/de...00f18dc022057/

The total is 262.95 EUR shipped, which comes to around $290 at current exchange rates.

They also have the euro performance intake, though I don't see how it could possibly be worth another $700.

https://en.partacus.de/spareparts/de...155875c424f49/

Bumping this Old thread. Did you ever use Partacus.

I was about to pull the trigger but they never replied to my e-mail then I found some questionable reviews online and stopped trying.

Then I went back to considering them.
They had a great sale for a while then it bumped way up, so I picked one up used on the forum at a very good price.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #302
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22_Raptor View Post
Nope, the euro intake improves the look of the engine bay drastically.
The euro intake gives you the ability to use it without the cover for more induction noise and some warm air. The price of a used one is well worth it as a bolt on. Brand new? not so much.

I still think the e9x is better than 90% than any car produced today imo.
but in the grand scheme of things my opinion doesn't mean shit lol.
Are you using euro box without top cover ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 02:54 AM   #303
F22_Raptor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajac1 View Post
Are you using euro box without top cover ?
No .... but I plan to.
      02-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #304
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22_Raptor View Post
No .... but I plan to.
Waiting for reviews
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #305
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

i have one of these suction mufflers in post now!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #306
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
You removed the stock limiter and DISA set point, is it pulling vacuum after 6500 to 7000rpm?
Sorry it took so long, The following is a log showing the intake manifold vacuum with a completely stock N52 + tune and 3 stage manifold. All soft limiters are removed in this tune.

The data points seem to jump a fair bit with this sensor. Just need to focus on the trend rather than any individual data point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Taskmaster2465.00
lab_rat394.50
      02-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #307
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Sorry it took so long, The following is a log showing the intake manifold vacuum with a completely stock N52 + tune and 3 stage manifold. All soft limiters are removed in this tune.

The data points seem to jump a fair bit with this sensor. Just need to focus on the trend rather than any individual data point.

I see...it's literally losing vacuum, which means that the intake isn't a huge restriction (as you pointed out to me) Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #308
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Not too bad though - about 5% loss. That would theoretically translate into ~10hp if you could eliminate it entirely, but that's easier said than done..
Appreciate 2
rjahl996.00