United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
M3 Kombi Retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpete13 View Post
LOVE this car!

I'm considering the m3 gauge cluster for my e91 - what are your thoughts on this upgrade? I pored through your thread but didn't find what I was looking for...

Is it a difficult install and what about coding? Does the oil gauge work??

Any insight you could provide will be helpful to a fellow enthusiast, thank you!
Thanks for your feedback mattpete13 . This mod is hard to justify objectively, at least IMO.

- There is no additional functionality gained with the M3 cluster. There's no more nor less information compared with the stock 328i cluster.

- Economics. It wasn't inexpensive, but was far from the costliest mod on the car.

- Installation. Trivial . There are two easy to access screw fasteners that attach the cluster to the dash hood. There's one wire harness connector behind the cluster to complete the electrical connection with the car.

- Coding. Also trivial. I worked with Dan in TX. He will walk you through the process, from loading sw on your PC and coding the new cluster to your car. Dan can also provide the cluster, or you can provide one of your own. He refurbishes the clusters. Mine arrived well-packaged and in excellent cosmetic condition. Dan is a one-stop shop for this job. Ping me offline for contact info.

- Oil temp gauge. Yes, it works!

- Value. For me, absolutely. Subjectively, the aesthetics and design of the M3 cluster are superior. The cluster imparts a purposeful and sporty feel to the interior. I'm not a fan of BMW's "Efficient Dynamics". The 328i cluster and it's MPG gauge reek of eco-box to me. The M3 cluster helps me remember a more exciting, pre-ED BMW.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0