04-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #109
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Front 12.5mm Wheel Spacers

Yesterday I installed wheel studs. I was concerned the front studs appeared too short to safely fit a 12.5mm wheel spacer, in spite of ordering the identical length studs used on the old car.

In my case, the purpose of the front spacers is to widen the front track, matching the rear track width, in order to mitigate some of BMW's purposely-designed understeer.

Today I pulled the front wheels to fit those spacers. Good news - fitment is fine. SCCA tech inspection regulations state lug nuts need to make a minimum of 6 full rotations on the stud after the threads are engaged. I counted at least 9 full rotations here, or 50% greater safety margin than required by SCCA.

Picture #2 in post #108 (above) shows the studs without spacers. This picture is with spacers (ignore the tired rotors. they are next to go.):
Attached Images

Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 3