11-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #123
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
E91 Touring Lightweight - Joining the 3,200 lb Wagon Club

The 57 lb OEM lead acid battery was replaced with a 7 lb Voltphreaks VPH900 LiFePO4 battery and 1.5 lb battery bracket. I'm in the habit of using a battery tender already, so I simply replaced the old charger with a new CTEK Lithium charger.

It's only been a couple of days but during this short period, the car turns over as before, and there have been no malfunctions.

Props to Elliott at The Shop, who fabricated a battery box as strong as a weight-bearing structural member.

Voltphreaks:

I chose this product because it's one of the very few (Liteblox, there might be others) with under-voltage and over-charge protection circuits. These are mandatory from an operating and safety perspective. Feedback from real users support the vendor's product. Do your research - there are a number of Lithium batteries available, but only a small handful that are safe to use, IMO.

Registration and Coding:

The VPH900 is spec'd as 33AH reserve capacity LiFePO4 battery. Using Carly, I was able to change the charging profile to 40AH AGM. LiFePO4 battery chemistry differs from lead acid batteries. The charging profile must be changed to reflect the new battery or the battery life may be shortened. In the worst case, a Lithium battery without the protection circuits on the Voltphreaks may catch fire. No joke.

Battery Tender:

As with registering the battery to the car, the charging profile is different and a Lithium battery specific charger should be used. I chose a CTEK Lithium US.

Battery Box:

3/16" Aluminum plate with AL angle iron TIG welded to fit. It weighs just over a pound and is very strong.
Attached Images

Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 11-21-2018 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 5