View Single Post
      12-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #126
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Why Are Car Enthusiasts so Obsessed with Wagons?

As a fan of Doug DeMuro's YouTube channel, his short answer to the question, "Why Are Car Enthusiasts so Obsessed with Wagons?" seems fitting here (posted by nsjames in a different thread):

Why-are-car-enthusiasts-so-obsessed-with-wagons?

I agree with Doug - wagons are Kryptonite to the ladies (in case you're single). When I was considering my first wagon, before being married, my single lady friends thought I contracted food poisoning when I asked their opinion about an Audi wagon. On the other hand, car people seem to need to check out long roofs:

TL;DR:

"No, the real reason I got my wagons is, first and foremost, because they were fun to drive. And I think this gets to the heart of why most enthusiasts like wagons: because they offer SUV cargo volume, and SUV seating capacity, and sometimes even SUV capabilities, except they have a center of gravity that falls within a major league baseball strike zone. Whereas, if you ask car enthusiasts, SUVs are tall, lumbering machines that tip over if you slam the doors too hard.

And the other benefit of wagons? They're rare. Car enthusiasts will swear up and down this isn't why they like wagons, but the truth is this: SUVs are everywhere, and wagons are nowhere, and car enthusiasts like the notoriety that comes with loving something unique. After all: any idiot can buy an SUV. There are dozens of SUVs on the market, at dozens of price points, from the highly expensive Range Rover on down to the Pontiac Torrent, which costs as much as a fluorescent lightbulb four-pack. Whereas there are only a few wagons, and that makes them cool, and unique, and special, because you have to actually go seek them out if you really want one.

And so, Colbert, to sum things up: wagons are cool and rare, while SUVs are boring and ubiquitous. Wagons are fast and fun, while SUVs are large and tippy."
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 12-04-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1