E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > "Inside the N52 Cylinder head" - short video with Dan Connor of BPC

07-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #23
John@BPC
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, M4, M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkies328 View Post
If you guys need a guinee pig car for testing out that turbo kit i would be willing to drive it out there from ca haha
Thanks for the offer! We have one here that the shop personally owns (the one in the video) we'll be doing the R&D on. We're also exploring the option of mating the N52 with the DCT trans for even more fun.

We've successfully swapped a manual trans in one already from an auto.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #24
iahawkeye
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 328i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22_Raptor View Post
Great video, especially for people (like me) who arent quite sure how VANOS and Valvetronic work.
Exactly! I've always understood the theory behind it but I could never really wrap my mind around how it physically worked... gnarly!!

Thanks to the BPC folks for putting time and effort into this platform, we all love our "old school" N/A bimmers and it's exciting to see someone develop some real performance mods for it. Especially with the level of transparency you guys are giving us as opposed to hype-hype-hype and a big letdown we're used to.

Now lets see some performance cams!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #25
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
Would you be so kind to add subtitles to your video?
I'd like to translate it for russian community.
our best option to add subtitling is actually through youtube at the moment. it gets 80% of the translation, without manually translating each word. some of the BMW specific terms, it won't pick up on unfortunately.

John
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #26
Kirkies328
Banned
Rep
Drives: White 328i with black rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BPC
Quote:
If you guys need a guinee pig car for testing out that turbo kit i would be willing to drive it out there from ca haha
Thanks for the offer! We have one here that the shop personally owns (the one in the video) we'll be doing the R&D on. We're also exploring the option of mating the N52 with the DCT trans for even more fun.

Stoked to hear that man! Any idea what the turbo kit will be priced at when its all said and done? Ik its still at an early stage but if its gonna be less then ess supercharger then im starting saving rn hahah.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:45 AM   #27
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BPC View Post

DCT...n52? Hmmmm maybe no need for immediate s65 swap then.

Very cool and thanks for the video.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #28
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Stoked to hear that man! Any idea what the turbo kit will be priced at when its all said and done? Ik its still at an early stage but if its gonna be less then ess supercharger then im starting saving rn hahah.
our goal is to make it the most affordable HP-per-dollar system on the market with factory like reliability. We will keep you in the loop!

John
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #29
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
DCT...n52? Hmmmm maybe no need for immediate s65 swap then.

Very cool and thanks for the video.
We're confident that this setup will be a blast.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #30
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
John, I know the question is premature, but...

Can you supply guidance on timing of product release? Not looking for an exact launch date, but a very general idea. Are we talking weeks, months, a year?

Thanks for all the love.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #31
Misty
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post

Can you supply guidance on timing of product release? Not looking for an exact launch date, but a very general idea. Are we talking weeks, months, a year?

Thanks for all the love.
^^^^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #32
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I totally agree. The auto is the most disappointing part of the car. It gets the job done, but blah.

Cheers to the good work and apprec the vid!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:19 PM   #33
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for all the love.
AWD DCT sounds hard to do, but maybe there's a car in the Bmw product line I'm missing where this trans could come from?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #34
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
AWD DCT sounds hard to do, but maybe there's a car in the Bmw product line I'm missing where this trans could come from?
I've wanted a 6MT from the beginning. If I move forward with the swap, it's also necessary to chose to remain AWD or also convert to RWD since the transmission is specific to each drivetrain.

At the end of the day, the result would be a 3200 lbs, RWD, DCT, E91. Kind of a sexy idea. I know that I'm oversimplifying the project, but it seems the mechanicals would be trivial in comparison to the coding and DSC. Maybe I just haven't met the right people yet.

The idea is growing on me.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #35
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

So glad I went RWD, just wish I could have found a manual too.
      07-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #36
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for all the love.
GREAT Question. Well, to elaborate on where we currently stand, we are in the process of planning the manifold and turbo sizing at the moment. We have a thing for going above and beyond the norm, so we're trying to accommodate an affordable price point for the manifold right now. We're toying with the idea of an in-house made V-Band 6-1 merge collector to aid in installation and adjustment for fitment VS using a billet machined T4 6-1 piece which would drive cost up a bit.

Next, we're looking at turbo choice. We've just ordered a pair of Borg Warner's new EFR 7163's for another project and were really impressed with the quality and performance of the EFR range so that may be a possibility. (also helps with having a 42mm internally gated v-band housing for a simple reliable OE type configuration that will make more than enough power with incredible spool and transient response.)

We are hoping to begin the manifold fabrication in roughly 2 weeks to give you an idea.

I will definitely be updating you all, as i know how it feels to be on your end of the project

John

Last edited by John@BPC; 07-26-2016 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #37
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
GREAT Question. Well, to elaborate on where we currently stand, we are in the process of planning the manifold and turbo sizing at the moment. We have a thing for going above and beyond the norm, so we're trying to accommodate an affordable price point for the manifold right now. We're toying with the idea of an in-house made V-Band 6-1 merge collector to aid in installation and adjustment for fitment VS using a billet machined T4 6-1 piece which would drive cost up a bit.

Next, we're looking at turbo choice. We've just ordered a pair of Borg Warner's new EFR 7163's for another project and were really impressed with the quality and performance of the EFR range so that may be a possibility. (also helps with having a 42mm internally gated v-band housing for a simple reliable OE type configuration that will make more than enough power with incredible spool and transient response.)

We are hoping to begin the manifold fabrication in roughly 2 weeks to give you an idea.

I will definitely be updating you all, as i know how it feels to be on your end of the project

John
Thanks for the update, John! The attention from BPC makes these exciting times for us.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #38
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the update, John! The attention from BPC makes these exciting times for us.
Indeed!

2012 E91 MSPORT • ST COILOVERS • TSW BATHURST
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #39
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
So glad I went RWD, just wish I could have found a manual too.
Rub it in, why don't you....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #40
Ruddigger
Major
Rep

Quote:
Rub it in, why don't you....

Haha, I just figured with a wagon the weight savings would be important, plus my last car was AWD, it wasnt much fun to throw around. I talked my friend into getting the BPC tune for his 328, really want to see how it compares to mine.
      07-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #41
Ruddigger
Major
Rep

Quote:

John
That's all very exciting, but I'm much more interested in making power without forced induction. Hoping for cams, or maybe even a more affordable header than other manufacturers.
      07-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #42
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
Haha, I just figured with a wagon the weight savings would be important, plus my last car was AWD, it wasnt much fun to throw around. I talked my friend into getting the BPC tune for his 328, really want to see how it compares to mine.
I'm actually on the fence as to which drivetrain is the better from a performance standpoint. I do agree that RWD can be more "enjoyable" for the ability to steer with throttle. And the weight advantage is significant.

Will continue the conversation off line about the tunes. Good times for us!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #43
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
I'm actually on the fence as to which drivetrain is the better from a performance standpoint. I do agree that RWD can be more "enjoyable" for the ability to steer with throttle. And the weight advantage is significant.

Will continue the conversation off line about the tunes. Good times for us!
I've taken mine to the track a few times and I feel there is something to be said for being able to just floor it out of a corner and not have to worry about the rear end getting too rambunctious.

Edit: especially on a wet/semi-wet track.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #44
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugeeofwar View Post
I've taken mine to the track a few times and I feel there is something to be said for being able to just floor it out of a corner and not have to worry about the rear end getting too rambunctious.

Edit: especially on a wet/semi-wet track.
My first track day at the Ridge Motorsports Park was a rare deluge with rain coming down in sheets. It was the most fun I had all season.
Appreciate 0