12-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #41
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
M Performance Intake - Euro Version

This intake is well-documented on E90post and elsewhere. Here's another...

Date: 5 Dec 2017

Mileage: 42,575

What: BMW M Performance Intake (Euro version) installation

DIY: DIY BMW Performance Intake - Euro Version

Why: Let's be clear. This mod is NOT about adding any significant power. Rather, it's ~ 75% eye candy and ~ 25% functional. I already have a slightly larger and better flowing Euro air box. I already replaced the OEM conical air filter with a better flowing AFE Pro Dry conical filter. I already fab'd and installed a 3" carbon fiber snorkel CAI that is conceptually similar to the M3 / Dinan intakes, but mine flows MUCH better due to the larger cross sectional area. There's a smooth silicon intake hose where the corrugated intake muffler used to be. I even dyno'd for results of my CAI and silicon TB hose (~15 whp).

Every intake mod to improve air mass to the combustion chambers resulted in real (but mild) gains. These are documented objectively and subjectively in other posts. One post I saw even dyno'd the PI and found a 8 whp gain, double the BMW claim of 3 - 5 hp.

I use a trickle charger daily. This means opening the hood for access to the jumper terminals. I simply wanted to have something nice to look at everyday when I open the hood. This is car jewelry. Eye candy. Bling. If we get a mild bump in flow, that's a bonus.

I also thought it might be useful to document the differences between the Euro PI and the OE intakes. There are more differences than I realized:

- the PI uses a K&N conical air filter

- the PI suction hood material is carbon fiber and says 'BMW Performance'
- the PI suction hood has a larger cross sectional area
- the PI suction hood does NOT use a corrugated joint to the air box
- the PI suction hood has more curvature to the air flow passageway

- the PI air box lid does NOT have structural ribs
- the PI air box lid has a different joint to the suction hood
- the PI air box lid has two inlets. One larger one connects to the suction hood. One small one reaches back towards the high pressure zone wind screen area.
- the PI air box lid does NOT have the inner vane as found on the stock lid
- the PI air box lid torx fasteners are nickel finish rather than AL

Installation Notes: I couldn't find another Euro PI with M3 engine cowl. There are some installation notes that are unique to this configuration. I planned for a 20 minute install. As with many projects, it took double the time. Why? The M3 engine cowl slightly interferes with the windshield-side PI snorkel. I removed ~2mm from the M3 cowl for a perfect fitment with the I6 intake.

The clearance between the driver-side M3 tower strut brace and the PI windshield-side snorkel is tight, but fits WITHOUT modification.

Results: I have no plans to dyno. I made one short drive post-installation. There's a bit more sound, a smooth "whoosh" that highlights the wonderfully silky mechanical spin of the NA6. I didn't even try to juice the "go" pedal.

When I opened the hood to connect the trickle charger, I smiled.

Pictures:
Attached Images

Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 12-08-2017 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 1